• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Please help, Type 1, 9 or 5?

lunareclipse

I'm struggling to determine my enneagram type and am curious of other's opinions. I am all but certain from a tritype archetype perspective that I am either 154 or 954. Usually with assessments I type as a 5 but I believe this is due to my extreme introversion rather than many other 5 traits. Because I have a strong pull to both 1 and 9 I feel like I may be either 1w9 or 9w1, but I also can't rule out 5. Below are the reasons I relate & don't relate to these types, followed by my results from an assessment. If it helps, I'm an IxxJ still discovering my type with MBTI (I tend to be very close on T/F and S/N). Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Type 5:
Relate- I am extremely introverted and could easily spend 70% of my time at home alone with a book and be happy. The idea of anyone enjoying a group vacation is very hard for me to relate to. I am intellectually very curious, love pondering big questions, and really enjoy learning and researching areas of interest. I am concerned about appearing knowledgeable and the idea of looking ignorant makes me very embarrassed.

Don't Relate - I am way too emotional, empathetic, and sensitive for a typical 5. I cry really easily and am afraid of criticism. I really care about what other's feel and also what they think of me and the perception I am giving off to the world, meaning fitting in to expected social norms. I think there's a sense that 5s don't care about what other's think of their behavior or if they go against what's commonly accepted as right, but that is NOT me. I am also not self-reliant at all... I believe 5s like to learn as much as they can so that they can do and fix everything by themselves whereas I don't care about this at all. I'd much rather have someone do something for me or rely on an expert. Also (and this is a big one), I know 5s can move to 7 and 8 when feeling secure/stressed and they are the 2 enneagram types that I relate to the least. 8s are COMPLETELY foreign to me. I cringe when others are aggressive or blunt.

Type 1:
Relate- In many ways, I am a perfectionist and I'm adamant about high morals. I made sure to get straight As, am a strict rule follower and can be critical of myself. I avoid things if I think I won't do them well. I HATE when others break rules. Here are some examples: I never drank or swore growing up (still don't swear as an adult because it's ingrained in me that it's wrong), would get really angry and shocked at petty theft (like a friend taking a pack of gum), get angry about casual sex... you get the idea... these could get to the point of crying about how awful and bad people can be. The degree of my anger surrounding these things has lessened as I've gotten older but the critical voice is still there. I also hate when people don't follow silly, less important rules like straying from a recipe. Growing up I would be desperate to hide unlikable facts about my relationships from my parents because I wanted to appear perfect (like if a friend smoked). It's almost like I take on the guilt that I feel others should be feeling. I will check and recheck work. I am an intense planner, list maker and need things to go right.

Don't Relate - I'm actually a fairly calm person and rarely get angry... I know this may seem to contradict what I said for how I relate to 1s, but outside of these morality issues, most things don't phase me and in groups of others I'm almost always the calmest one. I would never describe myself as having a temper or issues with rage. Like, I'm not phased if someone's running late or if it takes 2 hours to get the Christmas tree in its stand (or if it's slightly off-kilter after the 2 hours). In the example of getting angry at someone "misbehaving" it's always a shocked voice in my head that I suppress and force myself to get over and it turns to something more like disappointment than anger (maybe this is in line with 1s?). My perfectionism surrounds how others perceive me versus how I really am... for example, I may have cheated on a test but I would have been mortified if caught, or I want to appear to have a perfectly clean home, but in reality I'm pretty messy unless I'm expecting a guest. There are certain perfectionistic tendencies I don't relate to... like I don't mind being late or disorganized.

Type 9:
Relate- I avoid conflict. At all costs. Why I feel like I'm either a 1w9 or 9w1 is in the example of a friend misbehaving, I may think that what they're doing is wrong or horrible but I will do my best to smile and nod because the need to avoid an argument is stronger than the need to make sure they do what's right. In the face of conflict I can shut down. If conflict arises between others I will be incredibly anxious until it is resolved and will sometimes step in as the mediator if it's causing me enough stress but am careful not to take sides. I relate to sloth... I can sit at home all weekend in my pajamas on the couch and be happy. I'm very reliable and always get things done on time (perfectionist!) but I can put it off until the last minute and prioritize less important things. I can be stubborn and passive aggressive... I relate to these the most when it comes to anger. I can easily see all sides of an argument and I really hate when people make judgmental statements. Even though I often have that inner critic voice of others "doing wrong", I'm a firm believer of everyone having their own perspective and that everyone's feelings are important and shouldn't be criticized. If I'm feeling critical I would never vocalize it and instead try to think of things from their perspective. I'm also very into maintaining calm... meditation, choosing happiness, quieting the inner voice, etc.

Don't Relate - I can be selfish. In group settings I will almost always give in to what other's want and appear passive, but inside I'll really wish for it to be my way. When with someone I'm really close to like my mom or spouse I am very vocal about my preferences and will easily ask for what I want. With someone I'm very close to and comfortable with I will plan things like vacations after extensive research so that it's the perfect trip, but according to what I want to do (which is another reason I don't like group vacations... I want to do what I want to do but I wouldn't want to take this role with others. I don't want to appear selfish. It would also be my fault if people didn't have a good time). I don't act as a mediator once conflict occurs... I'm always aware of possible conflict and do my best to avoid it, get stressed if it occurs, but I'm very introverted and usually won't go out of my way to then fix it if it does occur. Because of how introverted I am I also don't think I'm viewed as approachable and easy to get along with. I am very empathetic and care about others a lot but my introversion hides this and I can come across as cold... I would never, ever say something mean or blunt, but I'm not warm and fuzzy and someone that people easily come to to confide in.

And for good measure, shorter versions for 4 and 6, in case it's helpful for wings...

Type 4:
Relate- I relate to envy, shame and guilt. Especially with how quiet and private I am I think there is something inherently different about me that makes it harder to form meaningful friendships. Everyone else is on to something that I'm not and I long for the close relationships they have. I am very sensitive to criticism and feel guilty if I disappoint someone. I enjoy soul-searching and don't shy away from big or sad feelings. I have artistic/theatrical hobbies and interests.

Don't Relate - While I can feel different from others, my strong desire is actually to fit in rather than stand out. I don't have a rebellious bone in my body and I'm much more about following the standard than inventing something new. I'm not dramatic... I have intense internal emotions and feelings but I always appear composed and put-together (and wallow in my emotions on my own time).

Type 6:
Relate- I can be prone to anxiety, mainly social anxiety and what other's think of me, but also things like worrying that a loved one is hurt if they're not home by a certain time. I like predictability... I need it. I follow rules and respect authority.

Don't Relate - I don't relate to constant worriers and can have a hard time understanding why certain things make people anxious... while definitely not a fan of foolish risk taking, I enjoy adventure type activities and I moved to a new city and job without fear. Also, once I make a decision I rarely doubt it and prefer to follow my gut and see what happens.

Enneagram Results:

Type 5 - 7.1
Type 1 - 6.1
Type 9 - 6.1
Type 4 - 5.4
Type 6 - 4.7
Type 3 - 3.7

Wing 5w4 - 9.8
Wing 5w6 - 9.5
Wing 9w1 - 9.2
Wing 1w9 - 9.2
Wing 4w5 - 9
Wing 6w5 - 8.3
Wing 4w3 - 7.3
Wing 1w2 - 6.8
Wing 3w4 - 6.4
Wing 9w8 - 6.1
Wing 6w7 - 5.4
Wing 3w2 - 4.4

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welcome to the forum! :bye: I, too, am struggling to decide whether I am a 1 or a 9.

Where did the enneagram results you post come from?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Welcome to the forum! :bye: I, too, am struggling to decide whether I am a 1 or a 9.

Where did the enneagram results you post come from?

In that mix I will go with 9 for you any day. (9w1)

OP sounds more like a 5 to me. (fixes are probably 1 and 4)

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, type 6 isn't just about anxiety. Plenty of 9s for example have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Type 6 is a type that lose faith from an early age but is constantly looking for clarity.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The stuff you said about type 5 is nothing to do with type 5. The type is literally about seeking capability and people seem to keep linking it to intellectualism and being a hermit.