User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

Default The commoness of Eights

I read that after Nine, Eight is the most common type for men. I find this hard to believe as I only know two Eights. Do you guys think it's more guys who WANT to be Eights over guys who really are Eights? I wouldn't be surprised if there are Threes and Sixes who want to be Eights.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    279 so/sx

Source? I have only read that 8s are in the minority, from Wisdom of Enneagram.

To entertain that, however; on one hand I can see it, but those individuals might not fit the stereotypical picture of E8. E8 doesn't have to be this great, inspiring, powerful, fear-inducing, ambitious pack leader, sometimes I think they could just be your garden variety bully or useless abusive husband.

Maybe, if they really are that common, we might have had the wrong image/understanding of 8s and how they manifest. Something like the INFJ effect where 8s are described very positively online (their ambition, aggressiveness, leadership) that people who do not possess those are 'automatically not 8s'. Or rather, people who are unable to exert those traits effectively or in a manner the theory describes, are shadowed over as not being 8.

Something like "if you're ISFP, then surely you have artistic interests / can do art!" Their natural inclination makes it that there is much overlap, but not necessarily. In which 8s really might be more common than we think.

Thoughts?
    JohariNohari
    Strike through the sky, with the starkness of winter lightning.

Master Apprentice Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

I think boys/men have been encouraged to emulate traits that can be associated with 8’s. However, it probably fits the stereotype of 8 more than the reality.
    Likes Yuu, Ghost, Peter Deadpan, The Tsarevich liked this post

Enneagram Test Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sample Size
    12168 test scores (since 6/10/97)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by neko 4 View Post
    I read that after Nine, Eight is the most common type for men. I find this hard to believe as I only know two Eights. Do you guys think it's more guys who WANT to be Eights over guys who really are Eights? I wouldn't be surprised if there are Threes and Sixes who want to be Eights.
    Absolutely. 8 ( and ENTJ) sound very flattering to certain types of people and they attempt SO HARD to be one that in the end their transparency and insecurities about their own weakness glow like a damned beacon.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”
    Likes magnetica liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Absolutely. 8 ( and ENTJ) sound very flattering to certain types of people and they attempt SO HARD to be one that in the end their transparency and insecurities about their own weakness glow like a damned beacon.
    I don't get the appeal. The descriptions for Enneagram 8 and ENTJ are cringe worthy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    279 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    I don't get the appeal. The descriptions for Enneagram 8 and ENTJ are cringe worthy.
    Confident, ambitious, strong, being at the front lines, 'natural leader', assertive, in control, charismatic even, the list goes on...
    JohariNohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ixaerus View Post
    Confident, ambitious, strong, being at the front lines, 'natural leader', assertive, in control, charismatic even, the list goes on...
    Meh, it's over-the-top stuff that draws the narcissists.
    Likes Ixaerus, The Tsarevich liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    The appeal is that males (OP specified men) that think they know what masculinity is and have no interest in exploring that beyond the stereotypical, focus on e8. They seem to gloss over the ASD, the sociopaths tendencies, the immoral, violent and completely delusional possibilities. Oh and the view that every male e8 must be this way, like they have no choice in the matter. In a nutshell - they want to be what every man wants to be and every woman wants to fuck. You can file that in the delusional column as well. Many don't get the appeal. Many men don't get what isn't appealing.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Ixaerus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    279 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    The appeal is that males (OP specified men) that think they know what masculinity is and have no interest in exploring that beyond the stereotypical, focus on e8. They seem to gloss over the ASD, the sociopaths tendencies, the immoral, violent and completely delusional possibilities. Oh and the view that every male e8 must be this way, like they have no choice in the matter. In a nutshell - they want to be what every man wants to be and every woman wants to fuck. You can file that in the delusional column as well. Many don't get the appeal. Many men don't get what isn't appealing.
    It's a bit sad honestly, because if they are so controlled by those delusions and need to be 'masculine' (or strong, whatever), are they really strong at all, is all I can think. I digress though, since it's not what OP asked.
    JohariNohari
    Likes Yuu liked this post