User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ixaerus View Post
    It's a bit sad honestly, because if they are so controlled by those delusions and need to be 'masculine' (or strong, whatever), are they really strong at all, is all I can think. I digress though, since it's not what OP asked.
    It is sad. Because they are capable of much more positive personality traits. But I'm not sure how many men just want to BE e8's as opposed to those that actually are.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Earl Grey liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

My e8 ENTJ friend is a pretty friendly guy and a pretty healthy e8. He is a successful businessman having built a company from nothing to a net profit to him of $250k per year in just a few years.

He didn't seek out his typing. It just fits him. He is fairly clueless as far social norms. He says cringeworthy statements to his wife. He doesn't treat his employees as "people" as much as tools.

But he also is extremely loyal. He mentors others and helps them be succesful.

And he is working very hard at self-improvement, especially after 40. He meditates, does yoga, and studies how to be a better person.

He is an all-round great person.

Sure, his wife almost ditched him a few times in his 30s before he started trying to improve.

I know another e8 ENTJ (he's near 75). His life story is similar. He admits that he was a driven asshole until around 40. Suddenly he woke up and started caring about others and working hard to be a better person.(and that is how I type him, not based upon tests, just years of knowing him and talking to him about life)
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

That is...sad. I learned the same lesson by 25.

I know a lot of ENTJ 8's like to brag about "Bulldozing" and other obnoxious shit like that. I really don't see the need. It's kind of pathetic and extraordinary desperate.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

I have scored e8 many times and people even said to me that I sound like an 8, but I just don't see it as my main "motivation". I can be pain in the ass but not really for the e8 reasons, what is all that matters in enneagram.

Although the whole thing indeed seems like it is blown out of proportions. Therefore the irony is that many 8s probably don't want to be 8s and none 8s want to be 8s.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

From what I know, 8s are one of the least common types.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

Likes j.c.t., misfortuneteller liked this post

Enneagram
    6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Si

Personally I see no reason why they should be uncommon. At the end of the day, denial of vulnerability is a classic defense mechanism, and very linked to the self-numbing of the 9--there is a deep reason they are neighbors.

I mean, yes there are cases of people very in touch with their vulnerabilities who are just aggressive people and aren't 8s. But there are also lots of similar botch-ups with e3 and so on. What really makes someone a type is that the person most directly sees the world through that type, vs having the type filtered through another.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

That graph makes more sense to me.

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GavinElster View Post
    Personally I see no reason why they should be uncommon. At the end of the day, denial of vulnerability is a classic defense mechanism, and very linked to the self-numbing of the 9--there is a deep reason they are neighbors.

Agreed.

8s; a force to be reckoned with, and with enough sagacity and demureness, their flame brights with poised vigor.

Considering that I have frequented many 8s throughout my life, it is unfortunate that most of them will hide behind impregnable walls to hide their vulnerabilities, tending to focus on harvesting the "I'm perfect" persona, unbeknownst to them that it drives people away, including those who follow them for they cannot relate to their humanity.

Most 8 bosses I've met had a "My way or the highway" mindset instead of the "Follow me in virtue, and do not follow me in vice", which is humane and real. It takes wisdom and the strength to own their weaknesses to reach the other level.

Those who acquired a bit of humility can appreciate others' insights and welcome others' emotional needs and weaknesses instead of shutting them down. In a time of turmoil, they are also grateful for those who remind them in a moment of transparency who they are and what is important, instead of just being obstinate for the sake of obstination.

For those who are not 8s, the pressure to perform and the false social stereotypes around masculinity make them relinquish their authenticity for what is perceived as acceptable. When cornered, sometimes people gotta do what they think have to do to survive. That's understandable, albeit unfortunate.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.
    Likes Earl Grey, Yuu, Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrophagus View Post
    Agreed.

8s; a force to be reckoned with, and with enough sagacity and demureness, their flame brights with poised vigor.

Considering that I have frequented many 8s throughout my life, it is unfortunate that most of them will hide behind impregnable walls to hide their vulnerabilities, tending to focus on harvesting the "I'm perfect" persona, unbeknownst to them that it drives people away, including those who follow them for they cannot relate to their humanity.

Most 8 bosses I've met had a "My way or the highway" mindset instead of the "Follow me in virtue, and do not follow me in vice", which is humane and real. It takes wisdom and the strength to own their weaknesses to reach the other level.

Those who acquired a bit of humility can appreciate others' insights and welcome others' emotional needs and weaknesses instead of shutting them down. In a time of turmoil, they are also grateful for those who remind them in a moment of transparency who they are and what is important, instead of just being obstinate for the sake of obstination.

For those who are not 8s, the pressure to perform and the false social stereotypes around masculinity make them relinquish their authenticity for what is perceived as acceptable. When cornered, sometimes people gotta do what they think have to do to survive. That's understandable, albeit unfortunate.
    I find this " My way or the highway" attitude, along with the bragging about "Bulldozing" to be incredibly juvenile and off putting. It's really why I tend not to get along with other ENTJ. It smacks of insecurity more than anything and is a great example of how to be an awful leader. The best leaders are those who know the true value of their followers ( and thus confidence in their own judgement) and how to best put it to use, usually by trusting that they know what they are doing and allowing them to do as they will.

One thing I do appreciate about other 8's ( opposed to ENTJ) is that I have had them things say things like " I am impressed and fascinated at your willingness to show vulnerability" but never question my type.

I think I see vulnerability different than a lot of other people. I don't wear armor,I guess is how I would put it. I'm the Emperor who is aware I he has no clothing and couldn't care less. I'll just take the hit in the face because I know it wont kill me.

Yeah, I often have the "naked at school" dreams. I've heard they are about vulnerable, but in these dreams, I'm not embarrassed. My attitude is more like " This is more you're problem than mine. I'll put clothes on when the cold get to me. Until then, deal with it."
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."

Enneatype 8s are more vocal and environmentally controlling, hence likely why people perceive more eights than actually exist. Enneagram five is plentiful in cyberspace but their coping mechanism is to withdraw so they're less noticeable.