• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Do tritypes usually have wings?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’m just curious. I think I read somewhere they don’t.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For those not interested in clicking the link, basically the creators of tritype--the Fauvres--say that yes, the fixes do have wings. Katherine herself accurately gave me a 4w5 heart fix fwiw.

Those who may argue otherwise are entitled to their opinion, but are hardly experts on the topic.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For those not interested in clicking the link, basically the creators of tritype--the Fauvres--say that yes, the fixes do have wings. Katherine herself accurately gave me a 4w5 heart fix fwiw.

Those who may argue otherwise are entitled to their opinion, but are hardly experts on the topic.

I think that’s the same fix [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] gave me.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

I tried finding an answer to this from a legit source but couldn't. I actually don't remember seeing it in that link, but regardless - good to know.

Or wait.... maybe I'm thinking of instincts and how people just looove to assign all their fixes with different instincts, which makes absolutely zero sense given that variants are the most deeply engrained motivator of all because they are tied to our survival.

rav3n

I tried finding an answer to this from a legit source but couldn't. I actually don't remember seeing it in that link, but regardless - good to know.

Or wait.... maybe I'm thinking of instincts and how people just looove to assign all their fixes with different instincts, which makes absolutely zero sense given that variants are the most deeply engrained motivator of all because they are tied to our survival.
From the link:

Theory
Katherine Fauvre states that the Tritype may or may not consist of the types in the lines of connection, or next to the dominant type on the Enneagram, however when speaking on one's own Tritype, the first number listed in the Tritype is always the dominant type, followed by the next preferred types in the other two non-dominant centers of intelligence.[4][11] Therefore, having a "Tritype" means having one dominant Enneagram type in each center of intelligence.[3] such as 8-5-3, 6-2-1, etc. When a Tritype is discussed in gereral it is listed from the lowest number to the highest such as: 125, 126, 127, etc.

For example: the 548 or "The Scholar" Tritype[12] leads with the dominant Type 5 (in the mental center) and then utilizes Type 4 (in the heart center) and Type 8 (in the gut center) in that order. A Type 5 may or may not have Type 4 in their Tritype, despite it being a possible wing for the Type 5. Tritype types are employed to support the dominant type.

Katherine Fauvre states that research shows that the other types in the Tritype are omnipresent but more specifically employed for use when the dominant patterns of the lead Type's defenses, wing types, and lines of connection have been exhausted and ineffective. The Tritype is acts as a spiral and is in constant movement. It is engaged in all decision making processes. When the strategies of one of types in the Tritype is at odds with another type, decisions are hard to make. When all three types in the Tritype share a worldview

Another example: a person could be the 927 or "The Peacemaker" Tritype,[12] and after utilizing the dominant Type 9 strategies the person may move to their lines of connection (Type 3 and Type 6) as well as to their possible wings (Type 1 and Type 8). However, if these connections are not effective for the person, they may move to Type 2 and become more helpful, effusive and relational, and then move subsequently to Type 7 to utilize positive reframing, escapism or future planning in order to achieve desirable results.

Another 9 may have the 935 Tritype or "The Thinker" Tritype,[12] and this Tritype will present very differently from another 9 Tritype. The 935 will utilize the Type 9 strategy as dominant, but after exhausting wings and lines of connection, will move to Type 3 and become more expedient, professional or image focused, and then to Type 5 and become more cerebral, remote and concealed. This Tritype combination will seem significantly different from the 927.

Katherine Fauvre also states that aside from the employment of the other types in the Tritype, an archetype (see below) is created that illustrates why types of the same type, instinctual stacking, and wing can present differently.[13]

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From the link:

I think here she (Katherine) is talking about the core having a wing--she doesn't actually address whether or not fixes have wings. The question in the OP was whether or not our secondary and tertiary fixes have wings, as I understood it.
[MENTION=31348]Peter Deadpan[/MENTION]

They actually did test whether or not each fix takes a different instinct, but most respondents agreed that the instinctual stacking affects the entire tritype consistently. So, you are correct.

rav3n

I think here she (Katherine) is talking about the core having a wing--she doesn't actually address whether or not fixes have wings. The question in the OP was whether or not our secondary and tertiary fixes have wings, as I understood it.
No, that's not what the OP asked.

This is the thread title:

Thread: Do tritypes usually have wings?
Core type is part of the tritype.

I’m just curious. I think I read somewhere they don’t.
There's nothing here that points to non-core or fixes.

It's possible that how you interpreted it might have been the intent but that's not what the OP asked.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, that's not what the OP asked.

This is the thread title:

Core type is part of the tritype.

Yes, I interpret the title to mean, "Does each type in the tritype have a wing?" [MENTION=18694]Avocado[/MENTION], of course, will have to clarify what they actually meant.

There's nothing here that points to non-core or fixes.

It's possible that how you interpreted it might have been the intent but that's not what the OP asked.
But the tritype consists of your main type, which is typically called the core; and the other two types, which are called fixes.

So asking if tritype "has a wing" doesn't make sense in and of itself--of course a tritype can't have a wing, because it's...un-wingable. That's why I figured the OP mean whether or not the fixes have wings too. Obviously, the core already does.

rav3n

Yes, I interpret the title to mean, "Does each type in the tritype have a wing?" [MENTION=18694]Avocado[/MENTION], of course, will have to clarify what they actually meant.

But the tritype consists of your main type, which is typically called the core; and the other two types, which are called fixes.

So asking if tritype "has a wing" doesn't make sense in and of itself--of course a tritype can't have a wing, because it's...un-wingable. That's why I figured the OP mean whether or not the fixes have wings too. Obviously, the core already does.
Notice the pluralization of tritypes in the title? This can be interpreted as multiple tritypes having multiple wings, even if it's only core types that have wings. Now, had the OP stated 'Do all three centers have wings in a tritype?', that would be another story.

Anyways, it's interesting how language can be interpreted in multiple ways.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

[MENTION=31348]Peter Deadpan[/MENTION]

They actually did test whether or not each fix takes a different instinct, but most respondents agreed that the instinctual stacking affects the entire tritype consistently. So, you are correct.

I meant fixes, but I wasn’t clear in the OP.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Notice the pluralization of tritypes in the title? This can be interpreted as multiple tritypes having multiple wings, even if it's only core types that have wings. Now, had the OP stated 'Do all three centers have wings in a tritype?', that would be another story.

Anyways, it's interesting how language can be interpreted in multiple ways.

It sure is. True, it would have been preferable if they'd asked in the way you said (bolded), but I'm not actually sure what it would mean for "multiple tritypes to have multiple wings". To me, it was like when people say "there are 9 enneagrams"--inaccurate wording, but it comes up often enough with newer members that I know it really means "there are 9 types".

Anyway, Avocado confirms it does mean fixes. Go figure.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

I actually think that this is one of the single most effective ways to verify primary instinct and tritype, somewhat simultaneously. One should be able to read through all 9 e-types of their primary instinct and be able to say "yeah, I've seen that behavior in me, more than the other two", because we do in fact use all 9 to varying degrees. Also, you should be able to split the types into the centers, focusing on only the descriptions of your suspected instinct, and narrow it down to a primary fix in each center.

Of course, this is dependent on self-awareness and honestly looking straight into and though your ego.

Permabanned
I actually think that this is one of the single most effective ways to verify primary instinct and tritype, somewhat simultaneously. One should be able to read through all 9 e-types of their primary instinct and be able to say "yeah, I've seen that behavior in me, more than the other two", because we do in fact use all 9 to varying degrees. Also, you should be able to split the types into the centers, focusing on only the descriptions of your suspected instinct, and narrow it down to a primary fix in each center.

Of course, this is dependent on self-awareness and honestly looking straight into and though your ego.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I haven't seen that work for me, fwiw, but there could be something I'm missing. Basically I don't identify all that much with any of the descriptions anywhere (just in what I can consciously identify with), except some parts of social 4, much as I dislike that. Glad it works for you, though. I just go by what I understand of motivations, personally.

For what it's worth, some people (I'm thinking of Helen Palmer's website) divide the enneagram into nine self-pres, nine social, and nine sexual descriptions. They then ask the reader to read through each of them to get a feel for which group is most "them".

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I haven't seen that work for me, fwiw, but there could be something I'm missing. Basically I don't identify all that much with any of the descriptions anywhere (just in what I can consciously identify with), except some parts of social 4, much as I dislike that. Glad it works for you, though. I just go by what I understand of motivations, personally.

For what it's worth, some people (I'm thinking of Helen Palmer's website) divide the enneagram into nine self-pres, nine social, and nine sexual descriptions. They then ask the reader to read through each of them to get a feel for which group is most "them".

Descriptions or motivations: Either way, I feel they should resonate with you across the board.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I like them, saying that I have a 3w4 fix defines me much better than 3 fix or 4 fix.

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm really curious how you identify instincts from the other fixes' wings. Especially given the any enneatype can be of any instinct and wing combo.

I've seen people go super nutso with the tritype wings thing. Like I totally get it for some of the enneatypes. Like a 9w8 is SO different from a 9w1. DAT EIGHT ASS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

But still. To me it always seemed a little extra? Maybe I just didn't get it though?

I didn't realize that people could actually derive much meaning from the (non-core type) wings. I haven't even seen it show up that much on the net where people specify except for where I've seen a few (on tumblr of course) where it just feels like the person is being a special snowflake queen and it's just like... really??? -_- Do you do it because you're just trying to be different? this vibe I got is of course based on the rest of their tumblr page lol. Not just the personality theory stuff.

I'm a pretty solid 417... I could probably guess those other two's wings (probably 1w2 and 7w6, lol very little 9 or 8 in me at all), but it always felt pedantic for some reason to specify further. Tritype is so arcane, most people who are into enneagram don't even scratch the surface for it, let alone the tritype stuff. Some of the only books out about the tritypes are sold out everywhere and so underground they're spiral bound. I would kill to see a solid book on more tritype stuff, especially this sort of thing with the wings and instincts.

tl;dr - not trying to knock it, just curious to hear more because it always left me a bit baffled before