• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] How does your particular typing (MBTI, E Type/Instinct) potentially conflict?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a 9w8 INFP and i've always felt really different to the INFPs in the INFP groups. It could be because a lot of them are actually ISFPs, lol. I just want to be understood by them but they always say i'm too aggressive or argumentative to be one.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I type as ISTP 4w3, which is a pretty incompatible combination.

I still see a lot of myself in ISTPs. I have a lot of their stereotypical traits: introverted, independent, easygoing. I relate to dominant Ti because I do prize internal consistency and logic.

However, I think I'm a lot more shameful than most of them. A lot of ISTPs have a reputation for not caring what others think of them, but I'm sensitive to rejection and criticism even if I'm pretty good at hiding it. I prize being unique, but it seems like a lot of them don't give a shit about that.

I also appear more like an ISFP (I guess there's a chance I am one, although I don't relate to inferior Te nearly as much as inferior Fe descriptions). Even though making thinking logically comes naturally to me, I do feel my emotions deeply.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
More Fours seem to be perceivers but I'm a judger through and through.

ISFP 4w5 9w1 6w5, and am opening up to the idea of being a social 4, which would heavily conflict with my enneagram type. Also to a lesser extent open to 4w3, but a heavily introverted and emotionally closed off variety than the typical. Basically whatever the conflicting nature of someone who is overly withdrawn and in their head most of the time while trying to strive hard for their dreams as well as pushing themselves to open up more than usual through their own self-expression -- whatever the hell that is.

The social instinct doesn't make me "on and off" when it comes to socializing, but instead possibly a little more withdrawn than the other subtypes. There is a phobic 6 nature to this subtype and it's something I saw in myself even as a young girl. Essentially 4w5 (or a heavy introverted type 4 in general) with the social instinct plays as an inner longing to engage with the outside world through a more public lens, but my natural state almost always lures me into my comfort zone of fantasizing about it instead, mostly due to my own self-perception of being an alienated freak of nature in addition to avoiding the possibility of being ruthlessly rejected. I'm trying to combat this by putting myself out there a little more now though because I know it's something I'm going to have to do eventually. Overall, I am highly uncomfortable being in the spotlight and normally shun it in reality, but deep down I idealize the prospect of it. One of my life goals is to become fully integrated in an artistic community too. It's something I currently lack, and it would be nice to be among other like-minded individuals to an extent as well.

Another thing about me being a type 4 is that I'm extremely idealistic and more future-oriented than average for an Se user. I am more introverted than other ISFPs too since I mostly use my Se in a behind the scenes fashion than through a public setting, so in that way for me it is also more personalized as opposed to something I'd openly engage in. Additionally, in a similar vein to the sx subtype, there's an underlying competitive streak with social 4s due to feelings of inadequacy. However, it's not usually through some deep rooted, seething force that's concentrated on a single entitity like with sx 4s, but rather more discreet and aimed toward a larger cause. In this way, social 4s (in particular 4w5s) can also appear similar to 4w3s. The difference is that 4w3s can "fake it until they make it" by easily shifting to a more extroverted public persona since they are supposedly less reclusive and contemplative than those with the 5 wing. For this reason I am often stuck in my head daydreaming and looking inward, peeling away the layers in order to get to the bottom of the core in a Fi-Ni fashion.

All in all, it's not enough for me to just keep fantasizing about certain ideals, but now I actually want to make them happen, especially after having found my true calling in life. Therefore getting more in tune with the 4w3 side of the spectrum (or perhaps it's integration to 1?) is something I'm trying to ease my way into. And I will persevere until I get there too regardless of my fears because I'm stubborn as hell and hungrier than an emaciated lion. It's something I am deeply passionate about, so I'm going to have to find a way to get through this conflicting tug-o-war in the end somehow.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ with a tritype more associated with IT types makes me oddly effusive but restricted.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
5 with 8 and 3 fixes is counter-intuitive as well as socially awkward.

"So 5" is counter-type of 5, since there is conflict with the types core. That in the end creates "absent participant" or "brain behind the system".

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably sound like a broken record at this point whenever I add these qualifiers, but though I know I'm not the archetypal ISFP, it is probably still the best fit type for me, because I do think I'm an Fi-dom, and I know I'm not an INFP. :)

Given that -- I feel like many descriptions of ISFP and peoples' associations of ISFP; heck, even people I've probably known in my life as ISFP - have more of a happy-go-lucky, pleasant, sociable and lively aura about them. I am now wondering if elements of so-dom ness might leak into people's notions of ISFP. Or, maybe I've just become more crusty with age. It's probably a combo. I do think I'm a very sp-heavy ISFP, which makes me probably appear that much more deliberative, cautious, reclusive, and maybe with a much more 'distant' and harder veneer to me. Maybe too it ties to being a 4 vs say a 2 or 9 enneagram. I don't know. This is me rambling about how there's some incongruity between my enneagram and mbti type (like it seems almost everyone experiences, per this thread, haha).

Last edited:
MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I first took my enneagramm test in Paris I was said 8w7, nevertheless I had a doubt because looking for power wasn't obvious to me. I was openly "rebellious" at this time.

Then I was directed towards the 7w8 having my writing analysed in Italy by a graphologist fond of ennegramm (who taught me so many great stuffs).

ESFP, well apart the fact that I do love sport, I only practice it for my well-being and I don't enjoy parties or loud atmospheres.

ENFP tends to be a description I seem to "fit in better" as I view myself more as an adviser or even a leader in my area (See the video of J.M Witt and A.Dodge who speak of that, J.M being an ENFP himself)

Erik Thor made a video about the different kinds (subtypes) of ENFP. And in the socionics I got ENFP several times. I thought I was INFP or ISFP because my strong developped function and focus is for sure Fi.

I'm also highly idealistic... But no I'm not the typical EXFP. I'm not scattered at all. I look like a 5 from outside (unless you have a keen eye and are able to observe my body language).

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
There has to be some wiggle room somewhere in there, but LII and the w8 in 9w8 conflict a little.

The descriptions of Socionics are secondary to the structure and known to be debatable anyways, but w8's "get angry and kill it with fire / volcano that finally erupts" methods basically conflict with LII's avoidance of direct personal confrontation and total avoidance (which does align with 9, but is contrary to w8). There is a huge correlation between e8 and Socionics Se, but LII is Se PoLR.

In short, what you get with this--or at least how I relate to it--is that if someone pokes the Se PoLR, they eventually in some scenarios get an Se PoLR Bear rather than passively withdrawing from it as what is standard for a 9 and an LII. So, while the LII wants everything to be retained inside the "rational realm," the w8 might very well take action to bring it back into that realm if it should leave it. In other words, they might use power dynamics to counter, mitigate, or "cancel out" power dynamics. Mind you, the 8 also conflicts with 9 in and of itself anyways.

[MENTION=19700]asynartetic[/MENTION]
Thought you might be interested since you have been on the fence with your overall type and considering LII / 9w8??? IDK that I am necessarily these types either, but do you relate to this at all, or is it just me?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There has to be some wiggle room somewhere in there, but LII and the w8 in 9w8 conflict a little.

The descriptions of Socionics are secondary to the structure and known to be debatable anyways, but w8's "get angry and kill it with fire / volcano that finally erupts" methods basically conflict with LII's avoidance of direct personal confrontation and total avoidance (which does align with 9, but is contrary to w8). There is a huge correlation between e8 and Socionics Se, but LII is Se PoLR.

In short, what you get with this--or at least how I relate to it--is that if someone pokes the Se PoLR, they eventually in some scenarios get an Se PoLR Bear rather than passively withdrawing from it as what is standard for a 9 and an LII. So, while the LII wants everything to be retained inside the "rational realm," the w8 might very well take action to bring it back into that realm if it should leave it. In other words, they might use power dynamics to counter, mitigate, or "cancel out" power dynamics. Mind you, the 8 also conflicts with 9 in and of itself anyways.

[MENTION=19700]asynartetic[/MENTION]
Thought you might be interested since you have been on the fence with your overall type and considering LII / 9w8??? IDK that I am necessarily these types either, but do you relate to this at all, or is it just me?

Yes, somewhat

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFP 1w9 sp/so is a giant shitshow to begin with. I know I'd do great if I were organized and planned but have a natural tendency to wing things and don't have the detail retention to benefit from organization. ENFP is supposed to be daring and expressive but both the 1 and sp dominance tone things down a lot. Somehow I'm still a semi-functional person debatably

SigmaEnigma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Um... INFJ is Ni Fe Ti Se.
Ni is a perceiving function. They are indeed perceivers. That's why in Socionics they are called INFp.

He likely meant letter MBTI Judging which is Je.

They really shouldn't have based it off of what you extravert, but that's how it is.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Okay. I was just referring to the fact that many Fours seem to be INFP. But there are probably lots of INFJs too.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni doms are very often 4s and 4 wingers.

Don't spread lies. 4's and 4 wingers are only 'common' because they sound more appealing than most of the other types. INFJs are mostly 6w5 or 9w1 and INTJs are mostly 5w6s.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
STJ and 1 work great together.

Extroversion and 1 are kind of confusing, with 1s usually being introverts - I think that's part of why I'm a more thoughtful extrovert who is frequently assumed to be an introvert upon first meeting.

STJ and having a 2 wing is conflicting because 2 is all about love and being loved - I think I'm a warmer and friendlier STJ who tries harder to be everyone's friend because of that. Same with STJ and so/sx: warm and friendly, or efficient? With the result being, sometimes I'm too intense and I steamroll people, but I always mean well and I care a lot about people.

The BIG conflict is with my newly discovered 4w3 trifix. I can attribute a lot of my being "an unusual ESTJ" and "a cooler than usual 1" to that. Not to mention my lifelong combination of emotional repression and deep sensitivity! Which is definitely a good time! (7w8 trifix is also conflicting - makes me more scattered and also fun-loving and enthusiastic - but not conflicting in as identity-shaping and existentially confusing a way as the 4w3 trifix.)

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
5, as in a 5-wing, doesn’t mesh with Se easily, with the way 5 can avoid their own instincts in a retreat into the mind. It makes sense that it wouldn’t support a very quick personal development arc, and if I may risk saying so, there are better hands to be dealt.

The rest is fairly harmonious, though. Maybe Sp-last makes an unusual Fi-dom 4. When I think of that type, it’s more personally solid Sp-heavy types who come to mind, so it was hard to identify with it in the past.