• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] I don't get the E3's Holy Idea of Law/Harmony/Hope

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get what the Holy Ideas are saying. Holy Law is the Holy Idea that everything is consistent and flows perfectly according to rule. Holy Harmony is the Holy Idea that since everything is consistently flowing, everything is connected. And since everything is connected, conflict doesn't exist. Holy Hope is the Holy Idea that everything good is going to happen because conflict doesn't exist. (I got that from the video below this paragraph. Jump to 43:50 for E3's Holy Idea explanation. Correct this if the Holy Ideas are wrong.)

But what I don't get is how it relates to the E3's Basic Fear and Temptation of feeling worthless and striving towards achievement and success to find worth. How does "There can't be any conflict because everything is connected" tie to "I feel worthless and should strive for success to find worth"? All the other Holy Ideas for the other Enneagrams directly ties with their Basic Fear and Temptation, so I'm confused about how these tie to E3. I don't get it...

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"There can't be any conflict because everything is connected"
I'm pretty sure this is 9 not 3.

"I feel worthless and should strive for success to find worth"?
Erm, I don't know where you got that idea at all - if anything it is the 9s that feel worthless. 3s are usually the golden child that is trying to prolong their worthyness rather than thinking they are worthless by default.

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Erm, I don't know where you got that idea at all. If anything it is the 9s that feel worthless. 3s are usually the golden child that is trying to prolong their worthyness rather than thinking they are worthless by default.

Wait, I'm confused. I've always been taught that the E3 had the Basic Fear of worthlessness, and that their Temptation to meet their Basic Desire of finding worth or value is to achieve and succeed because being on the top and successful gives them (at least the illusion of) worth. And I thought E9 had the Basic Fear of loss and separation, and that their Temptation to meet their Basic Desire of wholeness is to avoid any conflict. A E9 can fear being worthless, yes, but I was told that E3, being the middle of the Heart Triad (I apologize, I forgot what it's called), had the most issues with their self-image while E9, being in the middle of the Gut Triad, tries to improve an uneasy environment (Gut Triad was more of an observation I found, so for that, sorry if I'm wrong and feel free to correct me).

I'm pretty sure this is 9 not 3.

I know it does sound like a 9. Heck, I could put it in an E6 and it would make a lot more sense than E3. That's why I'm so confused about it. That video and this website (which I forgot to mention) : Enneagram of Holy Ideas | Ridhwan are the only ones that explain Holy Law/Harmony/Hope clearly to me. But I don't get how it relates to the E3's Basic Fears and Temptations. Every other Enneagram Holy Idea seems to tie to their Basic Fear and Temptations clearly; I just have trouble understanding E3's.

If you could explain the E3 in English, that would be great as well. Maybe those two sources are wrong. I'm not sure.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, I'm confused. I've always been taught that the E3 had the Basic Fear of worthlessness.

They have a fear of worthlessness but that doesn't mean they feel worthless.

A E9 can fear being worthless, yes, but I was told that E3, being the middle of the Heart Triad (I apologize, I forgot what it's called), had the most issues with their self-image while E9, being in the middle of the Gut Triad, tries to improve an uneasy environment (Gut Triad was more of an observation I found, so for that, sorry if I'm wrong and feel free to correct me).

9s feel worthless but it's not a big deal like it is with the heart types.

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They have a fear of worthlessness but that doesn't mean they feel worthless.

Ahh... That makes more sense...

Thanks for explaining that to me. The confusion with that topic has lifted. Although I'm still confused with how their Holy Idea connects to their Basic Fear and Temptation. Usually I see a connection but in this case, I don't.