• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] does anyone have parents that have the same core type?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It has been confirmed that both my parents are 3s, thus my unhealthy relationship with type 3 makes total sense now. 3 is suppose to be a positive move for the 9 but I have a lot of the darker aspects of the type.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've always theorized that the enneatypes of your parents has a strong impact on your enneatype. There's also that Aggressive/Passive/Absent Parent thing? I'll have to post that here later, I can't seem to think of it right now.

To answer the title question, I can't tell what core my Dad is but it's definitely in the Heart triad. My Mom is gut core but she has 2 in her trifix, I think.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always theorized that the enneatypes of your parents has a strong impact on your enneatype.

I could see that many of my parent's siblings may be 3s based on my fogey memory of them and I kinda think both of my granddads were 3w2.

There's also that Aggressive/Passive/Absent Parent thing?
I read that ages ago and I related to the 9 one.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother is probably a 1w2 and my father is probably a 9w8. Both gut types, but not similar. I'm actually gut last.

My dad has a strong 3w4 fix and I probably got some of it from him.

á´…eparted

passages
I got my mom's functions (INFJ 4w5), and my dads enneagram (ESTJ 1w2). Indeed, I am very similar to both of them, but there are also many differences. Even more interesting, both of my parents are startlingly different people temperment wise, they should have never got married (they divorced when I was 3 :laugh:).

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's also that Aggressive/Passive/Absent Parent thing? I'll have to post that here later, I can't seem to think of it right now.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I stumbled along this image once while looking for enneagram memes (MBTI and Astrology memes were sometimes fun when they weren't bias. I thought that there would be some fun Enneagram ones that were only made for laughs and not bashing types. Trust me, there's a difference. And also, they were nonexistent, so that was fun...)

View attachment 20024

Not sure where it's from, but if someone could explain this more in depth, then please tell me. I'd love to learn more about this.

Edit: Also, can someone teach me how to post pics that aren't attachments?

LaraFerox

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dad and I are the same enneagram type, instincts included (4w5 Sx/So) and while it was fucking amazing being raised by someone who actually just 'gets it', trying to individuate as a 4w5 from someone who is emotionally exactly like you (the thing we obsess over and crave) is really really confusing on the psyche. Our relationship became really strange/unpleasant as a teenager and even now as an adult. The hyperawareness of the 5 in me notices all of the 4 things I hate about myself in him, and as a kid that translated into a profound seeping disgust that completely overwhelmed me when I was in the same room with him, and constant self-flagellation when I exhibited any of his tendencies which was all the time. Now that I've been on my own for 6 years the perspective helps, but the discomfort is still there. He is an amazing father and would do anything for me, but being his only child and both of us Sx firsts made/makes it really hard to create psychological distance.

I am hopeful though because he has been in the peace corps on another continent for about 4 years (I discovered enneagram 3 years ago) so I'm interested to see what a knowledge of the this system can do to alleviate some of that weirdness between us. But I also kind of don't want to have him understand this theory because then there will be even more mind-reading lol.

There's also the thing where he was raised by some hardcore 8ish or 1ish parents and it drove him to being extremely driven and successful for the first half of his life, until he cracked himself open and acknowledged his artsy hippy side that he had been repressing. I, however, was raised by artsy, hippy parents who never pushed me to do anything and thought I'd figure it all out on my own (spoiler: I didn't) so while it feels in some ways like we're the same person, he has done a bunch of really cool, impressive shit with his life (Being a fighter pilot, graduating top in his class from the best business school in the country, etc etc) and I'm just over here spending way too much time on the computer and trying to put myself back together after realizing too late that getting anywhere fun takes hard shitty work.

Anyways, my mom is a 6w7 Sp/So and in non-enneagram factors is very like us in interests and cares and attitudes and stuff (and we all share the same cognitive functions), but the motivating framework and what she freaks out about is SO different that we both ganged up on her a lot as I was growing up. They split when I was a toddler and maintained an excellent working relationship but I definitely was always on my dad's side and she knew it.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Me and my mother might have the same enneatype and instinctual variants. I indefinitely would say she's either a 6w7 sp/so ISFJ or a 1w2 sp/so, but I am also probably a 6 core sp/so. Its very easy for us to understand each other's trains of thought.

Coincidentally, my dad and sister have the same tritype, but in different orders and with different vairents (Sister is 9w8 so/sx ESFP, father is a 4w3 so/sp ENFP, both 479). It's funny though since they do not get along super well

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, I think my mum may be a 2w3 in denial. Her unhealthy link to 8 has always been obvious but then i've seen people say that the wing can disintegrate too. She also seems to be obsessed with keeping things positive and she is clearly a rejecting needs type. It's annoying when you see the obvious signs that someone is another type but they swear blind they aren't that type.

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] (love your name), both of my parents are ones, my dad a 1w9 and my mom a 1w2. They just visited me this weekend so I'm still feeling the reverberations of all of their one-ishness. It can be an overwhelming thing for me, for sure. I relate to what you say about your negative associations with your integration type. Anyway, I think there are positive and negatives to both the disintegration/integration connecting points. I've seen plenty of unhealthy one-like criticism exist in fours, for example.

As far as your mom goes, my mom can seem like a two on the surface- positive, affable. She's a fe dom so that makes sense. However, the one is absolutely her core. When you look at the fears/motivations for the types, which seems to be most pervasive with your mom? (I would add that I have this theory that people will often act more like their wing as a mode of self-protection or if it's what is more acceptable to others. It can serve as a mask or a tool.)

My five wing definitely goes to seven at times so I would agree that the wing disintegrates.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm fairly certain that my Mom is ESFJ 6w7 and my Dad is ISTP 5w6. Then I'm an ENFP 6w7. We are all rather different from each other in our patterns of thinking and sonetimes way of viewing the world, but our 6 qualities make us similar.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=22480]brainheart[/MENTION] You poor thing. Although 4s do have a link to 1 so mabye it wouldn't be a nightmare for you to have two 1 parents as it would be for me.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm curious to what your 6w7 ESFJ mum is like. My mum is a 2w3 ESFJ with a fairly strong link to 8.
She's very warm, upbeat, and friendly to others. She's the kind of person that makes friends easily and can seemingly talk to anyone for hours on end. She also has a great deal of Fe, she's good at reading people and gauging group dynamics and what is socially acceptable. Though I think this is all typical of ESFJs in general.

She's very duty driven and has a strong work ethic. She's most comfortable sticking with what's safe and secure and seeks stability.

She also overcompensates quite a bit. I think this is part of the 6 anxiety that causes it. A lot of the anxiety is deeply unconscious. She can often be extremely paranoid, often double checking everything (she definitely has some minor OCD characteristics although she has never been officially diagnosed, and as it doesn't negatively impact her life, I don't know if she warrants a diagnosis). She is also fiercely protective of those she is close to, and is extremely preoccupied with their safety and security. She doubts her own competence at times as well, and often isn't sure if she's done something correctly.

My mom also has extremely well integrated Si. I can't think of a time where I've noticed her looping Fe-Ne. Her tertiary Ne characteristics are present (and I think correlate with her 7 wing), but they are a supplement to the auxiliary (as tertiary functions should be). This has occasionally created tension between us as Si is my inferior, and I think we baffle each other sometimes because of it.

I find that 6 and 2 ESFJs can seem a bit similar, but I think their motivations are different. A 6 is more likely to seek out others for a support system one which to rely on (which fits my mom really well). 2s are searching more for external validation and love. While my mom probably has 2 in her tritype, her main fears do not revolve around being unloved and disliked. If people like her, they do and if they don't, they don't. That's the attitude she largely takes, and it definitely doesn't preoccupy her thoughts to a great degree.

punkermit

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Anyways, my mom is a 6w7 Sp/So and in non-enneagram factors is very like us in interests and cares and attitudes and stuff (and we all share the same cognitive functions), but the motivating framework and what she freaks out about is SO different that we both ganged up on her a lot as I was growing up. They split when I was a toddler and maintained an excellent working relationship but I definitely was always on my dad's side and she knew it.

This is super interesting [MENTION=27335]LaraFerox[/MENTION]! Can you elaborate a little how your dad and you ganged up on your mom? How's the relationship now between you and your mom? I imagine it must be very difficult to make a 6w7 sp/so (a very common type) understand you.

punkermit

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm fairly certain that my Mom is ESFJ 6w7 and my Dad is ISTP 5w6. Then I'm an ENFP 6w7. We are all rather different from each other in our patterns of thinking and sonetimes way of viewing the world, but our 6 qualities make us similar.

Are we half sisters? :D

My mom is ESFJ 6w7 so/sx and dad is INTJ 5wb sp/sx (He literally has no social sense, whatsoever, lol). If it wasn't for my mom, he would have had a very difficult time navigating this world, something I didn't appreciate from my mom enough when I was younger.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
My mom is an ENFP but very different than me. I see a lot of 6, 7, and 9 in her. No one in my family is 4-influenced. I have no idea about my father's type, he passed many years ago and wasn't present during my childhood after age 5, but sometimes I get the impression that my personality reminds my mom of my father, and possibly not in great ways (I'm pretty contra, haha).

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. My father was a core 8 with a 3, with 7 as a wing.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, my mother and step-father are both 9s. I don't think this is an uncommon pairing.

I do find it a little sad though. These are people who tamped me down my whole life--with a certain stifling type of minimization that SOME 9s do. Like, they had this conception of this 1950s-ish Leave It to Beaver type of "Happy Family", where the kids always said good morning with big smiles on their faces and always happily went to church in their Sunday best. Also, we apparently weren't allowed to grow past the age of 8 or be teenagers. And even though I didn't get along with my stepfather and was being hideously abused at school, my mother would insist "we're so happy!" and leave it at that, when my father would call.

They'd compliment me with what they wanted me to be--quiet, complacent, intelligent, idealistic, etc. but never mentioned any of my true qualities, eg, being passionate, straight-forward, whatever, so that I grew up with this majorly fucked up self-image and without knowing my own potentials and capabilities. I had to spend a decade in the real world to realize this. They brainwashed me essentially, and I would be surprised if this were common with double-type parents...they'd instil their values with no serious alternatives.

It was like...idk, it honestly reminds me of the time I spent in China, where there's this emphasis on "WE ARE A HARMONIOUS SOCIETY" meaning that any dissent or differences are squashed and people are made of rubber. So it's not harmonious, it's just stifled, with deep resentments and lots of frustration and apathy. I never learned conflict resolution--my sister and I weren't even allowed to bicker without serious ramifications--and to this day I'm always sure that if I ever argue with a friend, I'm going to be permanently rejected thereafter.

Anyway, they're reaching old age now, and I swear they're happy tucked away in their little house just waiting for death. They don't want to deal with me anymore and have successfully cut me out of their life while still keeping up their old pretense of being caring parents. My mother still lives back in the early 2000s where I'm a star student instead of a failure at life, and my stepfather still lives back in some constructed version of the 1990s, where my sister and I are sweet innocent Jesusy lil kids. They're essentially unable to face reality. They don't do anything...my mother takes care of daily life as she has every day since she was born, and my stepfather goes to work, comes home, moans about how he can't wait to retire, and lies there like a slug in front of the TV. Neither of them realizes there's so much more to life than this, because they're both satisfied with mediocre complacency.

I assume my future holds nothing good, but come what may, I hope I might never become like this.

Well. I mean, I didn't really log into TypoC today to bitch about my parents. Sorry for that. I'm sure a lot of people would find their lifestyle admirable, just their values and mine aren't really concordant, and I find them both stifling and depressing. I'm only just coming to terms with the ways they fucked me up just by being themselves lol (a reason I'm not having kids).

I feel like you do tend to get issues with a double-type partnership where the dynamic just sort of intensifies and creates its own alternate reality throughout the entire household. My parents are just one example.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not me. My mom's a 1 or 2 and my dad's a 9. None of these are possible core types for me.