• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 3w2 vs 3w4?

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's the difference between enneagram 3w2 and 3w4? How does the different instinctual varints make these two types look?

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
3w2s are more approachable,charming,can act like they got it together when they don't and the vanity is more obvious.
3w4s seem a little bipolar to me, they also seem to dress in a weird way and you can tell they kind of messed up.

I cannot explain it, you will have to notice more yourself

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's the difference between enneagram 3w2 and 3w4? How does the different instinctual varints make these two types look?

3w2 is more outgoing, charming, they are more about making connections to get people to value them. They tend to look more conventional and polished.

3w4 is more distant, aloof, image centered around personal goals as opposed to seeking out others. I have no idea what draon9 is talking about.... I dress normal but a bit formal/sometimes with splash of color.

3w2s are polished and charismatic while 3w4s have a more business-like demeanor.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
3w2: I'm succeeding for those who helped me get here.
3w4: I'm succeeding for those who said I couldn't.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3w2:
Maintaining a favourable image (deceit) + Tries to be indispensable. (pride)
Wants to be admired upfront.
Their identity is based on being their culture's ideal.
Their self worth depends on their desirability.
They try to hide their deep-seated neediness.

3w4:
Maintaining a favourable image (deceit) + Longing for something that is missing in themselves or their lives. (envy)
Wants to be admired from afar.
Their identity is based on their craft.
Their self worth depends on their success.
They try to hide their deep-seated sorrow.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can guarantee that this will nail if that person is a 3w2 or a 3w4. 3w2s in general tend to be described as ENFJs or ESTPs hence why ExTJ 3w2s tend to keep thinking they are 3w4s.

46470574_2236684509909990_4160596491070603264_n.jpg

Last edited:

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3w2 - The Helpful Achiever.
Seeks to be envied+needed.
Vices: deceit+pride.
Fixations: vanity+flattery.
Defense Mechanisms: identification+repression.
Stress Mode: 9w8 (the plucky hobo)
An aggressive type with a complaint wing.

''The personality types corresponding to Karen Horney’s Compliant strategy are the One, Two and Six. These types are generally industrious, principled and conscientious. It’s worth mentioning here that the word compliant doesn’t necessarily mean that these types are compliant to those around them, but rather to their over-developed superegos. Each of these types responds to problems, threats and obstacles by conforming to an internalized set of rules, ideals or codes of conduct. In other words, they feel there is no free lunch and put a significant amount of pressure on themselves to measure up. They feel they must earn the right to have their needs met and these needs are defined by the Triad they fall into: One is in the Belly Triad meaning they will attempt to earn their right to autonomy and self-governance through being above reproach; Two is in the Heart Triad meaning that they will attempt to earn their right to recognition and value through being good, likable, and indispensable to others; and Six is in the Head Triad meaning they will attempt to earn their right to stability and security through vigilance and following (or defying) the rules. All three types feel their sense of self most keenly when they’re moving toward others and/or the flow of life. For the Compliant types, the affect is “I get what I need by being cooperative and dutiful to my ideals.”

3w4 - The Individualistic Achiever.
Seeks to be envied+separate.
Vices: deceit+envy.
Fixations: vanity+melachony.
Defense Mechanisms: identification+introjection.
Stress Mode: 9w2 (the useful hobo)
An aggressive type with a withdrawn wing.

''The personality types corresponding to Karen Horney’s Withdrawn strategy are the Four, Five and Nine. These types are generally receptive and internally-focused. Each responds to problems, threats and obstacles through avoidance. In other words, there’s a distinct sense of the self being small, weak or vulnerable and easily overwhelmed by the world. They feel a need to shut out external influences before their needs can be met. These needs are defined by the Triad they fall into: Four is in the Heart Triad meaning that they will withdraw both to find and protect their sense of personal value; Five is in the Head Triad meaning they will withdraw both to find and protect their objectivity, mental clarity and ability to control their anxiety; and Nine is in the Belly Triad meaning they will withdraw to find and protect their autonomy. All three types feel their sense of self most keenly when they’re moving away from others and/or the flow of life. For the Withdrawn types, the affect is “I can only get my needs met when I can tune in to my inner world.”

Edit: Only focus on my posts about the differences because the other posters seem to be biased here.

Last edited:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
3w2 is more of a narcissistic showman. More projection of popularity and desirability. Helpful but with hidden motives and not humble. Needy for public attention, showy, braggart, very entertaining. A real go-getter.

3w4 less of the above unless Sx, then competition will be amplified (Sx 4 influence). More of a tendency for sorrowful disappointment with life and painful embarrassment over failures. More self-aware but that's most obvious to intimates. Somewhat up and down. Probably holds a small piece of themself back and may feel out of place when not feeling accomplished/welcomed.