User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default The Trouble with Typing (Tom Condon)

The Trouble with Typing

This article reminds me of the abuse leveled against type 3s back in the day. Even Don Riso wouldn't admit that he had a 3-wing.

Excerpt:

Try to imagine instead a therapist who describes his current group of clients this way: “I have two Germans, a Kenyan, a Chinese, not to mention the Vietnamese couple. It’s good; I always get along with Germans, and Kenyans are easy to change, too. Chinese baffle me, of course, but at least I don’t have any French clients – God, those people get on my nerves! Next week I start working with an Egyptian. Now that should be a challenge.”
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

''It's a classic McCarthyite tactic of the left to question the motives and good faith of those who disagree with them.'' Andrew Sullivan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

You know, I'm actually a fan of Tom Condon but this is absurd. I almost feel like this article should be renamed "The Trouble with Tom Condon Acting Like More Than 1% of the World's Population Even Knows What the Enneagram Is Let Alone Gives a Shit About It"

Before we start talking about the abuse people suffer at the hands of "Enneagram Bigotry" (I can't even believe he used this phrase)... I would at the very least like to see the word 'Enneagram' recognized by spellcheck.

To suggest a label like "3w2" has the same recognition and significance as "Egyptian" or "Chinese" or hell...even "Leo" or "Virgo" for that matter is embarrassing.
    Likes Bush liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    You know, I'm actually a fan of Tom Condon but this is absurd. I almost feel like this article should be renamed "The Trouble with Tom Condon Acting Like More Than 1% of the World's Population Even Knows What the Enneagram Is Let Alone Gives a Shit About It"

Before we start talking about the abuse people suffer at the hands of "Enneagram Bigotry" (I can't even believe he used this phrase)... I would at the very least like to see the word 'Enneagram' recognized by spellcheck.

To suggest a label like "3w2" has the same recognition and significance as "Egyptian" or "Chinese" or hell...even "Leo" or "Virgo" for that matter is embarrassing.
    Type 3s have been abused because they have been deemed shallow. It is, literally, as bad as being called an American.

''It's a classic McCarthyite tactic of the left to question the motives and good faith of those who disagree with them.'' Andrew Sullivan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Type 3s have been abused because they have been deemed shallow. It is, literally, as bad as being called an American.

I’m not sure if you are presenting this information... including the above claim straightforwardly in earnest or in an effort to make some other point...but it makes a mockery of people’s legitimate experiences with intolerance and hatred.

Just to be clear in what you are saying though...

As someone that has traveled all over the world I have been in 3 or 4 instances (that I am aware of) where in no uncertain terms my life was in danger for one reason and one reason only... I was forced to reveal my status as an American citizen. By either being required to handover my passport or in a couple of those...literally having my handbag ripped from my person and the contents including my passport dumped out onto the ground. I’ve been pushed...jabbed...robbed...ridiculed...even detained twice in jail cells with nothing...all of my stuff...my phone, money, water, snacks, etc. withheld from me because I was an American...period.

When you use the words “abuse” and “literally” above are you honestly attempting to suggest an e3 would be in the same danger?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I’m not sure if you are presenting this information... including the above claim straightforwardly in earnest or in an effort to make some other point...but it makes a mockery of people’s legitimate experiences with intolerance and hatred.

Just to be clear in what you are saying though...

As someone that has traveled all over the world I have been in 3 or 4 instances (that I am aware of) where in no uncertain terms my life was in danger for one reason and one reason only... I was forced to reveal my status as an American citizen. By either being required to handover my passport or in a couple of those...literally having my handbag ripped from my person and the contents including my passport dumped out onto the ground. I’ve been pushed...jabbed...robbed...ridiculed...even detained twice in jail cells with nothing...all of my stuff...my phone, money, water, snacks, etc. withheld from me because I was an American...period.

When you use the words “abuse” and “literally” above are you honestly attempting to suggest an e3 would be in the same danger?
    If you're saying that type 3s haven't been cavity-searched before being let in the door to an enneagram convention, I agree there is no evidence of that. Was "abuse" too strong a word in comparison to your experiences? Absolutely? Have type 3s been, let's say, ridiculed for being shallow and conventional? Yes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    If you're saying that type 3s haven't been cavity-searched before being let in the door to an enneagram convention, I agree there is no evidence of that. Was "abuse" too strong a word in comparison to your experiences? Absolutely? Have type 3s been, let's say, ridiculed for being shallow and conventional? Yes.

I have a dream now of someday going to a seminar on the enneagram where only the 3s are cavity searched at the entrance.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    694 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Wow, this is actually more revealing than actual enneagram descriptions.

I could very clearly type myself as 946 from this.
    MBTI: INTP
    Socionics: LII Harmonizing subtype
    Attitudinal Psyche:FVEL
    Enneagram: 6w5 9 4w5 sp/sx
    Global 5:
    RLUEN-Egocentric
    MOTIV: ACTWD

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

Tom Condon is Mole, confirmed.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Meh, his analogy sucks worse than a jet engine. Race and behaviour are distinct issues where Enneagram includes a substantial behavioural component.

I'd retitle the article to 'The Trouble with Tom Condon and Hasty Generalizations'.

MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

That particular analogy's pretty bad, and it's too bad that it's sprinkled all throughout the article. Because aside from that, most of the article's pretty insightful. The Sorcerer's Apprentice analogy definitely holds: it's a great description of what "knowing just enough to be dangerous" looks like.

And he's basically cautioning against how a sorcerer's apprentice might use the system. The article's essentially another framing of the point "don't take type to the extreme," and more specifically "look at the individual first." Not that that's a bad thing, because it's describing that whole idea from yet another angle. It's nothing particularly new to 'veterans' well-versed in typology, but it's a decent read for newcomers.
    Ne = Ni > Ti = Fe > Te > Fi > Se = Si
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics