User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

8s and 3s are literally seen as bad apples for purely existing in many of the enneagram groups on FB.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by misfortuneteller View Post
    8s and 3s are literally seen as bad apples for purely existing in many of the enneagram groups on FB.
    I'll admit to a bias against 3s that extends into real life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by deathwarmedup View Post
    I'll admit to a bias against 3s that extends into real life.
    Ah, i've recently gotten annoyed with the fact that I keep losing to 3s in job interviews. The occasional 7 as well since they can bring some quirk to the company.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Hey I can't help who I am
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram

The real problem is that most write/understand a personality type description from the point of view from ~within~ a person experiencing the personalty, or from the perspective of being ~outside~ the person.

You cannot use a description that uses the opposing point of view, for what you are trying to achieve. For example, using an 'interior' description, to create a system of knowledge to type others. Or, a collection of insights about external patterns that you directly apply to your lived experience of the interior. To type others, you need to have varied observational experiences. And to type yourself, you need a core understanding of the interior gesalt as it is expressed within you (not an 'outside' view).

For example..... if an interior description describes a "core gesalt", then this is relevant to a person analysing their own personality. From the outside, this gesalt may be expressed in a huge manner of different expressions. So, you cannot just use the core gesalt ALONE to type others patterns. You need to see the person before the gesalt. You need to see how that individual is expressing an individual and unique manifestation of the type. If you are drawing trends prematurely (if I see x, then I know they are a Y), you are blurring too many lines and you will miss-type people. Typing needs to be razor sharp in it's accuracy.

There's a lot of nuances and individual quirks and a type should be custom fit to a person, and not the other way around. A person should not have to be squeezed into a type. If you can't check every box, that shouldn't be an issue. It's like being your own subtype in the end. Every fix will manifest in a variety of ways at different times. It will not show up in exactly the same way every time. I agree with Tom, that you must look at the individual in front of you, and evaluate based on things beyond surface impressions. It's the asking "why 5 times thing. Not every 7 is going to be bouncy and happy.. not every 8 will be aggressive and domineering at every moment in time. You have to see the shades of grey and have enough observational experience AND creativity flexibility to see how the motif might be morphed in each individual. I would simply disregard the enneagram if there is no room for flexible analysis on this level, and assume everything is 'straight forward'. The truth comes before personal identity needs like being right.

This results in why there is little to no consistency for types, that it's all a matter of interpretation. We don't have any objective "DSM" for types. We have all manner of written descriptions that are often coloured by a persons own type. And it's not clear whether they are written from within or from an observational stand point.

I would be interested in seeing a collection of varying 'observations' be put together about types vs a collection of self authored reflections on a persons own self and how it relates to type. In essence, an array of varied expressions.
    Creation is the only cure.

I'm too sad for pants. Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Did 9/11 View Post
    You can't discriminate effectively, but God knows that people will try.
    LOLOL. And yeah, separate people into groups and "us vs. them" mentality (Social Identity Theory) won't be too far behind.

I agree with the opinion a few have expressed that it seems more prevalent in mbti (for example), but it's still prevalent enough in Enneagram to be a legit gripe. Eta: except for e3s, towards whom hostility and acrimony are warranted. Hey we reap what we sow.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?
    Likes Bush liked this post