User Tag List

First 1234 Last

phallus impudicus

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    fyp
    Yes, but context is everything in this thread. I'm merely trying to keep my thoughts cohesive and relevant.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Yes, but context is everything in this thread. I'm merely trying to keep my thoughts cohesive and relevant.
    the thing with typology is...it's mostly bs to represent a subset of subjective, generic human behavior

Likes cascadeco liked this post

phallus impudicus

the thing with typology is...it's mostly bs to represent a subset of subjective, generic human behavior

I think it's useful at it's foundation (and interesting), but it's easy to get too caught up in generalizations. I personally believe in universal patterns, from the concrete (the movement of our solar system, sound waves/cymatics, sacred geometry) to the abstract (murmuration of birds, energy flow and its effects, personality patterns, etc). I think science and abstract theory can coexist, but it's difficult to measure the latter.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I think it's useful at it's foundation (and interesting), but it's easy to get too caught up in generalizations. I personally believe in universal patterns, from the concrete (the movement of our solar system, sound waves/cymatics, sacred geometry) to the abstract (murmuration of birds, energy flow and its effects, personality patterns, etc). I think science and abstract theory can coexist, but it's difficult to measure the latter.
    As a gateway to self actualization, sure, many things can serve as training wheels, but also not, instead serving as cannon fodder for the ego to build upon. It's not the subject matter, but the individual who defines the path.

Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

phallus impudicus

As a gateway to self actualization, sure, many things can serve as training wheels, but also not, instead serving as cannon fodder for the ego to build upon. It's not the subject matter, but the individual who defines the path.

I agree. Also, I like it when you talk about things besides my mom.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Do we have a "guess the above user's enneagram based on their username" thread yet?
    Probably, since we have every other idiotic fluff thread that could possibly be imagined.

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I don't think anyone who's 'properly' typed is really 'proud' of being said type,
    I knew of a few on the EIDB who were clearly in love with their types - while adamant that they weren't. A couple sx 4w5s and 5w4s spring to memory.
    Likes bluejay liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by deathwarmedup View Post
    I knew of a few on the EIDB who were clearly in love with their types - while adamant that they weren't. A couple sx 4w5s and 5w4s spring to memory.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised about the 4's, and can see that with 5's as well.

One of the main 4 issues is insecurity/envy and feeling alone which increases 'I guess I'm 'special' / different', which then would cause pride I guess (?), and with 5's, they can become really smug and self-righteous in their information accumulation and dissemination.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

This is definitely true about enneagram; if you really look into it, you realize how much all of the types equally suck. I don't think anyone who's 'properly' typed is really 'proud' of being said type, and usually I find all of the descriptions are fairly equally scathing in each types' struggles. I mean I guess there's the possibility of an individual glamorizing other types, that's true... but I would think that would point them to definitively NOT being those types they are glamorizing (I mean, for example, type 8 might sound really nice to me because they live a life that's opposite me and thus I might be envious or something about that and think it sounds way 'easier'... but ofc they have a whole different slew of issues).
    well put.

I got professionally typed in a college course and remember looking at every other type going "golly that looks so much more amazing.... EXTJs have all the world leaders, type 9s are ethereal" etc. And then I have my EXTJ friends comment on how they admire my ability to be relaxed and my type 9s grateful I encourage them to tell everything to go to hell in an easter basket.

so i like the egram for its ability to push one's ego down to ground zero versus most of the other metrics out there where it's like "you're the best cherry in the cherry bowl."
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    IXTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I'm not surprised about the 4's, and can see that with 5's as well.

One of the main 4 issues is insecurity/envy and feeling alone which increases 'I guess I'm 'special' / different', which then would cause pride I guess (?), and with 5's, they can become really smug and self-righteous in their information accumulation and dissemination.
    Some of the 5w4s had more of a "special" complex than any of them. I'd say in both cases they were a distinct minority among their types though. 4w5s in particular can be very down to earth, despite the "special" tag.
    Likes cascadeco, bluejay liked this post