• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Opinions/thoughts on enneagram brethren with the other wing

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So what are your opinions/thoughts on people who share your primary enneagram but have the other wing.

I will start.
I am an enneagram 5w4 so I will comment on 5w6.
They strike me as having an easier time fitting in and "playing the game" that is so important in society.
On the negative side, they seem to be harder to get know deeply.

Anyways post your thoughts.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a 9w1 I tend to view my w8 brethren as being more assertive and outspoken in getting the peace and also less fettered and shame ridden but they can also be in many ways cause more conflict than they intend too by lashing out with that w8.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So what are your opinions/thoughts on people who share your primary enneagram but have the other wing.

I will start.
They strike me as having an easier time fitting in and "playing the game" that is so important in society.

Anyways post your thoughts.

Interesting. I thought that 5w6 might be more considerate and easier to get along with/get to know in general, what with sixes generally being more aware of the impacts of their behaviour on others and being a more people-oriented five than the 5w4.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting. I thought that 5w6 might be more considerate and easier to get along with/get to know in general, what with sixes generally being more aware of the impacts of their behaviour on others and being a more people-oriented five than the 5w4.

Well, the 5w6 are more "normal". And the 5w4 probably are more self-absorbed.

Feels like 5w6 have more jobs suited for them than the 5w4 also.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
6w7s tend to be phobic, which, if combined with other specific traits, can give me a visceral negative reaction that makes me want to avoid them. On the other hand, I can also end up feeling protective and motherly. It depends on the person.

I think 6w7s fit the general type six description more than 6w5s. 6w5s gather information to feel secure, while 6w7s focus on other means of distraction. 6w5s tend to have a more focused energy while for 6w7s, it tends to be more scattered.

Sixes are either super by the book or super against the book. By the book w7 and w5s are quite different than against the book w7 and w5s, so it's sort of hard to generalize.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w3s:
more outwardly expressive and dramatic
more functional in society
more volatile
more performatively unique

i relate a bit more to 5w4s than 4w3s.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
4w3s:
more outwardly expressive and dramatic
more functional in society
more volatile
more performatively unique

i relate a bit more to 5w4s than 4w3s.

4w5 seems to have a bad rep. Overall it seems one "should" not occupy the bottom of the enneagram like the 4w5 and 5w4 does. Although I have a feeling that the 4w5 gets more flak than the 5w4 for some reason. I wonder why that is.

equinoxx

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a 9w1.... I've never met 9w8's in person, but they strike me as more balanced than 9w1's. As a 9w1 I tend to be more of a pushover, and will be extremely hesitant to state assertions & opinions, but 9w8's seem to have a fire that unleashes when they can't hold in their inner conflicts anymore. They seem more likely to voice what they're feeling/thinking, while I have a much harder time even getting it out there in the first place. I'm not often even aware of my own anger & conflicts until it's brought to my attention, but 9w8's seem to have a better awareness. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
4w5 seems to have a bad rep. Overall it seems one "should" not occupy the bottom of the enneagram like the 4w5 and 5w4 does. Although I have a feeling that the 4w5 gets more flak than the 5w4 for some reason. I wonder why that is.

Have not gotten that impression at all. :shrug:

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Have not gotten that impression at all. :shrug:

Hmmm perhaps we have different sources.

I am thinking of two videos with Richard Rohr.
YouTube
YouTube

In them he gives the impression that the 4w5 are unproductive narcissists and the 5w4 has some kind of virtue of leaping the gap to combine head and heart.
In my opinion the 4w5 leaps over the gap just as well.
Overall he talks very negative of both the 5 and the 4.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted the videos...

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Hmmm perhaps we have different sources.

I am thinking of two videos with Richard Rohr.
YouTube
YouTube

In them he gives the impression that the 4w5 are unproductive narcissists and the 5w4 has some kind of virtue of leaping the gap to combine head and heart.
In my opinion the 4w5 leaps over the gap just as well.
Overall he talks very negative of both the 5 and the 4.
Perhaps I have misinterpreted the videos...

That's an extremely black and white perspective.
I think these two types are some of the most complex and pained people there are. Sure, they can be narcissistic as a coping mechanism, but I would hardly title them the most narcissistic of the Enneagram.
I think self-contained is a better term. Withdrawn. Removed. Crippled, even.
Yes, with 4 comes a certain superiority/inferiority complex, and both of these types can be unproductive potentially, but I'm not sure "unproductive narcissist" is the proper description.

- - - Updated - - -

Narcissism is a measure of health. As is productivity.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That's an extremely black and white perspective.
I think these two types are some of the most complex and pained people there are
. Sure, they can be narcissistic as a coping mechanism, but I would hardly title them the most narcissistic of the Enneagram.
I think self-contained is a better term. Withdrawn. Removed. Crippled, even.
Yes, with 4 comes a certain superiority/inferiority complex, and both of these types can be unproductive potentially, but I'm not sure "unproductive narcissist" is the proper description.

- - - Updated - - -

Narcissism is a measure of health. As is productivity.

I absolutely agree with the bolded part.

True, not everybody needs to be "jolly" figures, but - at least where I live - these words you use are not something positive by any stretch.
Well at least if your looking for a job.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't comment on the broader question, as I am not sure of the enneatypes of most people I know, so cannot compare. I can say as a 5w6 that we do tend to be hard to get to know, especially with any depth. We can be quite good at professional interactions, but once people have started to get to know each other, I suspect 5w4 are more willing to share on a personal level. As for "playing the game", it may be easier for us because we are better able to stay detached from the situation and avoid emotional investment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Drama and playing the "being different", people don't like that for the most part.
While 5w4 is more like "whatever" around most people.

á´…eparted

passages
I have noticed that 1w9's are much "quieter" and to withold their opinions a lot more than us 1w2's. As a result they seem more prone to passive aggression.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Drama and playing the "being different", people don't like that for the most part.
While 5w4 is more like "whatever" around most people.

I think you are right.

Come to think of it, I reckon the 5w4 comes across as indifferent often times.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The 6w7s are just lighter and take themselves less seriously. More candid about their need for people. More about moving towards others to quell anxiety rather than self-isolating. They're not more phobic per se (that's a matter of stack; sp/so). They can be distinctly counterphobic.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am growing to really dislike 9w1s practically since the main enneagram 9 group is filled with them. I especially dislike how they try to deny their 1ness constantly when they constantly exhibit it. They probably don't see their covert holier than thou attitude as 1ness for some reason.

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You must be trolling? 4w5s and 5w4s are the most overrated types on the internet. Countless 6s and 9s are posing as these types.