• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Escaping the rat race

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have been thinking of this lately, what kind of people and for what reasons think of - and even manage - to escape the rat race.

So I would like to hear your theories on this in an enneagram context.

I will start.

1: Don not think of escaping since they are workaholics.

2: Maybe, but more in the terms that they can spend time with loved ones.

3: No. I doesn't look good.

4: Yes, because work is often meaningless(at least to fours)

5: Yes, so one can think of more interesting things by one self.

6: Don't know

7: Yes, so the can go on adventures non stop.

8: Yes but mostly so no one can tell them what to do(i.e. bosses)

9: Yes, to escape stressors.

I relate to the 5 and 9 descriptions.

I admire monks and relate to this movie below:

51m4si0od0L._SY445_.jpg

and to the archtype of Escape in this image below:

ZNFYnD0.jpg

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not sure what you mean by "rat race," but if you are talking about a typical full-time job outside the home, that depends heavily on wealth, individuality, and ingenuity, very little on type I suspect.

A type 1 may be a workaholic only when it comes to volunteering and not care much about a job.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I relate to the 5 and 9 descriptions.

I admire monks and relate to this movie below:

51m4si0od0L._SY445_.jpg

and to the archtype of Escape in this image below:

ZNFYnD0.jpg

I found the rat race video amusing. Especially the black Friday part and the end with the mouse traps.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actively oppose it as a 4 sx, myself.
And actively working on escaping this bullshit and instead marching to the beat of my own drum - now with extra meaning!

I can see that being an idealistic pursuit for a 4, particularly 4w5s, and perhaps 5 and 8 too. From that list, I identify with 4, 5, 8, and 9. Going underground ftw. ✌

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Competitive colleges could be viewed as rat races as well. I avoided that. x)

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actively oppose it as a 4 sx, myself.
And actively working on escaping this bullshit and instead marching to the beat of my own drum - now with extra meaning!

I must ask; How? I am genuinely interested.

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Competitive colleges could be viewed as rat races as well. I avoided that. x)

I don´t know what that means. I can only guess we reside in different countries.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don´t know what that means. I can only guess we reside in different countries.

Perhaps this is true; what country are you from?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I must ask; How? I am genuinely interested.

Ive always avoided business life and tried to find a calling more than a job. Money didnt matter to me, nor did building a career. I dont particularly feel motivated by the typical carrots they dispense in the rat race.
Sadly, I was sorely disappointed time and again. For some time, i was lucky enough to be in a situation where i could avoid the toxic waste enviroment that most companies are. That said, i wasnt happy doing just that, either.

When i started working again, i did a freelance project, which confirmed that being a free agent, with all its head aches, was just worth it. Still, it wasnt in the sector i wanted to work in or had me passionate.
Then, i got a part time regular job in my sector, intended to let me build up the freelance thing. The first few months were amazing. It was hard work and paid little, but it was enough with the amazing benefits they threw in. It was an adorable little family style place with the most amazing colleagues. My trust in the worldnwas restored.
I was happy. And despite its very obvious need for improvements due to an absent CEO, it worked. And then we got taken over, 3 months after i started. By a corporate chain.
Ive given them 4 months now and while they ve improved greatly on the things that needed it, they pretty much have brought back every despicable thing possible that i hated about the business world.
So, Im done giving them my effort, since they just understaff the place and create so much urgency and stress you no longer have any energy left at the end of the day to do anything else. While Im still working parttime officially, they have me basically working almost fulltime with no notice to put out all the fires that the understaffing is causing.
Maybe Im really anal and have an incredibly high standard, but im kind of done with this bullshit.

So, I ll just build my own business, the way it should be done, imho, instead :shrug:

Its more than become worth the risk at this point.

The older I get, the more I realize dating pretty much= work. And Im sick and tired of these bullshit one night stands that suck at sex, commitment phobes and wanna be abusive husbands.
So if he/the company doesnt live up to my standards, im just no longer interested in workibg for them. One extra benefit is that in business dating my own creation is not considered perverted :D

...did i torture the metaphor enough? :wink:

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ive always avoided business life and tried to find a calling more than a job. Money didnt matter to me, nor did building a career. I dont particularly feel motivated by the typical carrots they dispense in the rat race.
Sadly, I was sorely disappointed time and again. For some time, i was lucky enough to be in a situation where i could avoid the toxic waste enviroment that most companies are. That said, i wasnt happy doing just that, either.

When i started working again, i did a freelance project, which confirmed that being a free agent, with all its head aches, was just worth it. Still, it wasnt in the sector i wanted to work in or had me passionate.
Then, i got a part time regular job in my sector, intended to let me build up the freelance thing. The first few months were amazing. It was hard work and paid little, but it was enough with the amazing benefits they threw in. It was an adorable little family style place with the most amazing colleagues. My trust in the worldnwas restored.
I was happy. And despite its very obvious need for improvements due to an absent CEO, it worked. And then we got taken over, 3 months after i started. By a corporate chain.
Ive given them 4 months now and while they ve improved greatly on the things that needed it, they pretty much have brought back every despicable thing possible that i hated about the business world.
So, Im done giving them my effort, since they just understaff the place and create so much urgency and stress you no longer have any energy left at the end of the day to do anything else. While Im still working parttime officially, they have me basically working almost fulltime with no notice to put out all the fires that the understaffing is causing.
Maybe Im really anal and have an incredibly high standard, but im kind of done with this bullshit.

So, I ll just build my own business, the way it should be done, imho, instead :shrug:

Its more than become worth the risk at this point.

The older I get, the more I realize dating pretty much= work. And Im sick and tired of these bullshit one night stands that suck at sex, commitment phobes and wanna be abusive husbands.
So if he/the company doesnt live up to my standards, im just no longer interested in workibg for them. One extra benefit is that in business dating my own creation is not considered perverted :D

...did i torture the metaphor enough? :wink:

I am not quite following the bolded part. What the heck are you working with?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am not quite following the bolded part. What the heck are you working with?

I work in the pet industry and am an animal trainer.
But the bolded applies to every industry, Ive noticed. What bothers me is the lack of respect for others and the pure greed and prestige that emboldenns the willingness to screw anyone else over.

Its like being back in kindergarten, fighting over something as inane as a toy and being bullied - just by people who have gone pro. They employ the manipulative bullshit their tiny EQ does know and the rest they cant be arsed to learn. Meanwhile it gets condoned as fuck, making it utterly self rewarding behavior that theyll never quit coz its never not rewarding consistently.

And everyone keeps telling me that its normal and i should just be ok with bosses and colleagues exhibiting this ridiculous need for greed, often combined with 'how can i do the least amount of work and gain the most', which includes screwing over the future of the company and dumping all the work on any and all colleagues or even better, subordinates. It also has the marvellous advantage of being able to blame them when things go wrong.

Well, I tend to retrain these kind of people where i can and i certainly wont subject myself to that stuff on a long term basis if i cant, as i know how damaging it is on your psyche.

Hence, freelancing where every client is replacable if they pull this crap and if i ever do make it work and have to hire employes, or god forbod take on partners, there will be an ethics clause - cant believe its necessary but oh well. If you cant pull your weight and do right by the team, and VALUE what others contribute, go play parasite somewhere else, basically.

The part of dating my own creation refers to not being able to create my perfect man/dating my hypothetical son vs being able to start my own company :D

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I take it you are quite an agreeable person and are disappointed with others lack of said trait?

Requiring a perfect man seems awfully cruel, demanding him to be something he cannot be(since we are all inherently flawed)