• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Are the Positions of the Numbers on the Enneagram Wheel Arbitrary?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Why is 9 at the top and 5 and 4 at the bottom?

Because current order of numbers places 5 and 4 into the bottom of the sign that is fundamentally asymmetric if you look a the top and bottom half. Visually the biggest gap is between 5 and 4 and that represents the difference between head and heart that is hardest to bridge.

Although you can place numbers on counter clockwise direction and still get basically the same thing. But it would look kinda stupid.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the difference between head and heart that is hardest to bridge.

I like that point. It's a deep dichotomy that runs through modern civilisation.

Both are Centres of Intelligence.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like that point. It's a deep dichotomy that runs through modern civilisation.

Both are Centres of Intelligence.

There is a deeper wisdom that orients the numbers in their positions. Nine is at the top because it encompasses the whole. G.I. Gurdjieff placed emphasis in his teachings on being awake versus being asleep. Awake vs. asleep is not intended in the literal sense. Nine is the point of being awake or being asleep. This is true of any type, but type 9 symbolizes it the best.
Type Nine — The Enneagram Institute
"We have called personality type Nine The Peacemaker because no type is more devoted to the quest for internal and external peace for themselves and others. They are typically “spiritual seekers” who have a great yearning for connection with the cosmos, as well as with other people. They work to maintain their peace of mind just as they work to establish peace and harmony in their world. The issues encountered in the Nine are fundamental to all psychological and spiritual work—being awake versus falling asleep to our true nature; presence versus entrancement, openness versus blockage, tension versus relaxation, peace versus pain, union versus separation.

Ironically, for a type so oriented to the spiritual world, Nine is the center of the Instinctive Center, and is the type that is potentially most grounded in the physical world and in their own bodies. The contradiction is resolved when we realize that Nines are either in touch with their instinctive qualities and have tremendous elemental power and personal magnetism, or they are cut off from their instinctual strengths and can be disengaged and remote, even lightweight."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Because current order of numbers places 5 and 4 into the bottom of the sign that is fundamentally asymmetric if you look a the top and bottom half. Visually the biggest gap is between 5 and 4 and that represents the difference between head and heart that is hardest to bridge.

Although you can place numbers on counter clockwise direction and still get basically the same thing. But it would look kinda stupid.

The gap between head and heart is one viable interpretation. Are there others?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About that gap: we are all staring into the abyss (of one kind or another); but 5s and 4s are closest to it and are thus most aware of it. The 9 is farthest away from the gap and is least aware of it. 5s and 4s are therefore most awake to the existential fact of there being a gap; 9s are least aware of it and the least awakened type.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like there is a pattern in how the values of the numbers relate to the personality traits they're associated with, but I'm not sure how to describe it. The first two are the most obvious to me (1 seeks the one true solution, 2 seeks a relationship with two people: themselves and another), but after that it gets more vaguely-defined.

As for why 9 is at the top, I feel like that makes sense because it's the last number. The other most obvious alternative would be to put 1 at the top, which would put 5 and 6 on either end of the "gap." This would also drastically change the lines of integration/disintegration.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As far as how they're laid out, one take is that it represents a spectrum of neuroses. That's how Naranjo presents it anyhow:

Starting at pg 14 here, with the diagram on 15: http://www.claudionaranjo.net/pdf_files/personality/character_neurosis_intro_english.pdf

I'm sure that neurosis descriptions could be bent to fit any ordering or even other shapes (Pentagram of Personality..?), but with this particular spectrum, there's kinda-sorta maybe a factor analysis involved if you squint hard enough.