• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Stereotypes That Bother You

A Demonic Lover

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Articles that say 5w6 usually go into scientific fields never mention artistic fields. Personally, I'm a 5w6 who
wants to be a graphic novelist as an adult. What things that are said about your type that you don't resonate with?

Spectre

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
One example I can think of is that all enneagram 5 are socially awkward.
I, personally ,am rather polite.

// Spectre

I generally have no issues with my type. Well, maybe except the whiny emo association with 4s that are based primarily on low health levels rather than the main type itself, but I'm still okay with it overall. It's probably because I relate to my enneagram typing the most since it fits me a hell of a lot better than MBTI does.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The idea that e1 = humorless, with no idea how to have fun, makes me so sad.

Firstly: I don't know how to RELAX. That's different. I'm great at having fun.
Secondly: I am hilarious. My wit is known throughout the land.
Thirdly: I don't have a third thing. Lists are great. Stereotypes are bad.

á´…eparted

passages
The idea that e1 = humorless, with no idea how to have fun, makes me so sad.

Firstly: I don't know how to RELAX. That's different. I'm great at having fun.
Secondly: I am hilarious. My wit is known throughout the land.
Thirdly: I don't have a third thing. Lists are great. Stereotypes are bad.

Basically this.

I am seen as both a stick and the mud, and fun mostly for being outlandish/eccentric. My sense of human just happens to be linked to literal nonsense "i.e. a plate of spagetti burping in a microwave (I literally laughed writing this)", so I can be seen as much less funny. So in some ways I kind of can't blame people for thinking that, but it's still not accurate.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basically this.

I am seen as both a stick and the mud, and fun mostly for being outlandish/eccentric. My sense of human just happens to be linked to literal nonsense "i.e. a plate of spagetti burping in a microwave (I literally laughed writing this)", so I can be seen as much less funny. So in some ways I kind of can't blame people for thinking that, but it's still not accurate.
Freudian slip? Yes, your sense of human is fantastic.

I suppose if there is a 5 stereotype that bothers me - or at least that doesn't apply to me - it's that we are all thought and no action; that we are beset by analysis paralysis, and never actually get anything done. That couldn't be further from the truth for me. Sure, I will do my homework and plan carefully, but if the plans are not realized, if my ideas never become reality, it is a great source of frustration and disappointment.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Freudian slip? Yes, your sense of human is fantastic. I suppose if there is a 5 stereotype that bothers me - or at least that doesn't apply to me - it's that we are all thought and no action; that we are beset by analysis paralysis, and never actually get anything done. That couldn't be further from the truth for me. Sure, I will do my homework and plan carefully, but if the plans are not realized, if my ideas never become reality, it is a great source of frustration and disappointment.
I agree with this. I analyze and over analyze every nuance but that doesn't mean I am stuck in analysis for weeks or months often times it is done quickly and then I move forward with the plan. I keep busy, have many plans in motion at a given time, And so far I have been successful in realizing most of my goals.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The stereotype that e8s are always angry bothers me a bit because I can't remember the last time I actually got ANGRY about something (irked, yes, but angry no)

There are others, but I haven't finished my coffee yet

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sx dom means lotsa sex

no.

stop.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sx dom means lotsa sex

no.

stop.

I agree that that stereotype is just bad.
Sex is one way to achieve intimacy and a deep connection with another person. However, there are other methods too. There's also casual sex too.
Of course, the second people a lot of hear the word "sexual" their brains jump to sex.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
All ennegram profiles are stereotypes since all profiles are made in a way that the person lives in US or at least some 1th world nation.

The examples of this are endless: the 1 that is rised in Communism will probably not be a christian moralist. 8 that was rised in a dictatorship will know that most of the time he/she can't get their way and that it is better to preserve their strenght for the situation when it matters. If there is no developed market economy the 3s will have to find a different ways to achieve "something". If there is a strong welfare state 4s, 5s and 7s may get the chance to get the money and resources to try some unconventional/weird stuff without worring about the money side of things all the time (what is reducing the misfit factor). 9s and 2s can feel more appricieted since they can smooth things out more often if the money isn't primary decision maker. 6s can be scared shitless all the time or be fully calm since they think that the government will solve the issue in it's way regardless of what everyone really thinks, so it is pointless to freak out about it.

There is a whole new world out there if you desire to look far enough.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The stereotype that 9s are doormats or lazy. The doormat bit doesn't apply to 9w8s and the lazy bit doesn't apply to 9w1s.

Last edited:

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that that stereotype is just bad.
Sex is one way to achieve intimacy and a deep connection with another person. However, there are other methods too. There's also casual sex too.
Of course, the second people a lot of hear the word "sexual" their brains jump to sex.

I think "intimate" is less confusing.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think "intimate" is less confusing.

For sure.

I understand the connection and that sexual can understandably be interpreted to mean laserlike/intimate/one-on-one in a metaphorical sense, but why not cut out the middleman..?

Enneagram
9w1
The thing is, as a possible 9w1 type I probably relate most to bonding with people I LIKE and often feel bad for doing or feeling anything that disconnects me from being able to relate to the person I like. But if I'm among a large group of people which I find uncomfortable I won't conform or fit in at all, I'd probably silently just take in everything as an observer but I won't really take on the group vibe at all. If I'm one on one I'm much more likely to try to form interest and sympathy and easily adapt to the mood and interests of the other person. But this is temporary, It's not like I'm literally someone else 24/7, it's only an external thing, my insides are me and they are preserved as fuck, no one can change me there.

But maybe I'm not a 9w1 dominantly when I see 5w6/5w4 and even 4w5 as more relevant to what I feel on a regular day basis so I might just be less likely to fully give myself in to others and be adaptable as other 9s... and rather understand what I want first from the world and what I believe.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hate all stereotypes of all types.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The stereotypes are bullshit in general though, hence they are stereotypes. But with regards to 8, mostly how it's so conflated with how Se is described both in the MBTI and in socionics. I understand why, as 8 is a fairly common type for Se egos, but it doesn't mean that the aggression is all there is to being a type 8. In general, the picture that is usually painted of 8s is someone who is very socially gregarious, outgoing and overall extroverted with lots of energy to spare to do all sorts of things but that's not really related to the type as much as it is general extraversion.

I also dislike how there is little attention to the more tender and caring portions of type 8 which comes forth as the 8 matures over time. There is also a bit of a bias towards 8w7 but the slower aspect of 8w9 is usually overlooked as well.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm a 4 and I'm not weak. I never spend all day in bed crying and have a pretty healthy lifestyle. Yes, I'm over-sensitive at times, self-indulgent in some specific ways and definitely moody. Yes, I tend to take things too personally but do not call me "weak."

BAD1973

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not all 7s are irresponsible. I am first a fun-seeker, sure. I love adventure. I love new things. But I'm also a planner. I'm not just a great employee, but a fantastic manager. While I do better with a secretary or assistant or even an equal partner to split the menial tasks and help me make sure I don't lose track of deadlines, I can be relied upon to get things done.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
That 9s dont care.

I care A LOT. About A LOT. Just because irl Im not super expressive doesnt mean that I dont hold a lot of things really close.