• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] My model: primary type and secondary type

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are two enneagram theories, traditional (everyone has one type) and tritype (everyone has one type in each of the three different centers, heart, head, and gut).

The problem with the tritype theory is that the third fix seems almost irrelevant. Yes, the first fix is the most important and alot of people feel they have another fix that influences them though not to the same extent as the first one. The problem is that when you get to the third fix it seems to be barely discernable as an influence as it is behind the first two. Even if you argue that the second and third types are of equal strength it becomes convoluted to have to discern between two types of equal strength.

I propose a compromise between traditional enneagram and tritype. It's the idea that you have a primary type in one of the three centres (heart, head or gut) and a secondary type in another center, but it cuts out the idea of a third fix, or simply considers it as unimportant.

This isn't a rejection of tritype theory, which might still prove useful when describing tritypes as composite entities, for example how a 378 differs from a 379 is still great despite the fact the third fix (in this case 8 vs 9) might be overshadowed by the first two types if we look at the types individually.

So it isn't a new theory, just a remodelling of an old one to make the theory less convoluted. I think the model is simply how we represent the theory in our minds, therefore it can prove useful to switch models for different applications of the theory.

What do you think?

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't understand the purpose. If people don't understand and/or can't figure out how to use their third type, they are eventually going to ignore it of their own accord (or not seek out their tritype in the first place), so why have some sort of model that's based on ignoring it?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand the purpose. If people don't understand and/or can't figure out how to use their third type, they are eventually going to ignore it of their own accord (or not seek out their tritype in the first place), so why have some sort of model that's based on ignoring it?

Because some people might want a model that is in between tritype and single type. I haven't seen anyone ignore third type on their own accord, all the while maintaining the second one, and if they drop the concept of tritype then they also lose the second type.

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because some people might want a model that is in between tritype and single type. I haven't seen anyone ignore third type on their own accord, all the while maintaining the second one, and if they drop the concept of tritype then they also lose the second type.

I agree with you. It doesn't hurt to have another model out there that is slightly less convoluted.

rav3n

This confuses me. You haven't made any argument of why the third should be made irrelevant considering its impact on defined archetypes and their unique defenses.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way you're describing it, it sounds like wings with the twist that your wing is your second-strongest type of all instead of just adjacent to your main type. Interesting idea!

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The way you're describing it, it sounds like wings with the twist that your wing is your second-strongest type of all instead of just adjacent to your main type. Interesting idea!

Hmm, well I appreciate that you like my idea, though I'm not sure you've understood it - I'm not saying that second type replaces your wing. It's more like your wing is adjacent, and your second type is in another center.

So you can be a 3w2 primary type and a 5w6 seconday type, for example.

Hope that explains it better. :)

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, well I appreciate that you like my idea, though I'm not sure you've understood it - I'm not saying that second type replaces your wing. It's more like your wing is adjacent, and your second type is in another center.

So you can be a 3w2 primary type and a 5w6 seconday type, for example.

Hope that explains it better. :)

You're right, I did misunderstand it, sorry. This way, though, I do have to admit it seems very similar to what tritype already does.