• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Are there people who don't fit into any of the Enneagram types?

Lead Guitar Wankery

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1. Do you think there are people who don't fit into any of the Enneagram types?
I don't know, but I suspect that people who have spent their entire lives outside of civilization may not fit any of the Enneagram types. Also, very young children.

2. Did you have a difficult time figuring out your type?
No, it was easy.

3. Are you sure of your type now? How long did it take you to arrive at that point?
Yes, I'm sure. My traits match the type 5 descriptions very well. I just read a few books about the Enneagram.

4. When you read your type, does it truly resonate with you?
I doubt that any negative description would "resonate" with me. I can clearly see myself in the descriptions, but I wouldn't say they resonated with me.

5. The way I look at it, people are at a point on the circle. What if you are exactly in the middle between an 8 and a 9 or a 3 and a 4 (for example)? Do you think this is possible?
I can't say. The concept of types in between types is not defined, so I have no basis for an opinion.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I don't know, but I suspect that people who have spent their entire lives outside of civilization may not fit any of the Enneagram types. Also, very young children.

No, it was easy.

Yes, I'm sure. My traits match the type 5 descriptions very well. I just read a few books about the Enneagram.

I doubt that any negative description would "resonate" with me. I can clearly see myself in the descriptions, but I wouldn't say they resonated with me.

I can't say. The concept of types in between types is not defined, so I have no basis for an opinion.

Your post count is at 69, you have to stop forever now. Bye. :bye:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
A few questions on Enneagram type. Do you think this system works for everyone? What has been your experience?

I think it's maybe a useful tool for understanding what defense mechanisms we tend to employ. I probably loosely subscribe to an idea l came across that suggests that as people address their defense mechanisms and the reasons for them, they act lesslike a particular enneagram type and more like their MBTI type.

I think some people fit less neatly into a particular enneagram type depending on a variety of factors.

Sort of. I'm not sure I'm quite as rigid or forceful as the type one descriptions suggest, but I identify most with their struggles. I have some 2ish qualities, but I don't think it is motivated by the things they talk about with 2s. I identify with some 6ish behaviours, but don't feel much suspicion of outsiders nor am I very motivated by fears. Overall, 1 seems to fit best.

3. Are you sure of your type now? How long did it take you to arrive at that point?

I'm settled on 1 now. It took me a few years. I think the whole thing about anger puzzled and tripped me up for a bit, but I see it now.

Overall I'd say it does. But not in a way that made me feel like someone was looking straight into my soul or anything.

5. The way I look at it, people are at a point on the circle. What if you are exactly in the middle between an 8 and a 9 or a 3 and a 4 (for example)? Do you think this is possible?

Who knows? I assume so.

Interpreting Your Enneagram Test Results — The Enneagram Institute

Sorry, too lazy to break this into multi quotes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not unless you’re perfect and that’s no one. I don’t think we can fully transcend the ego. Thats a theoretical goal of sorts.

So everyone has an ego and a fixation (probably several), even if they are pretty healthy and integrated. One fixation will generally define them more than others. This doesn’t mean common descriptions of a type will fit well, but it’s not meant to be all encompassing for human personality. It’s meant to identify basic ego types.

Nonetheless, people who insist they’re a type but they look nothing like it at any health level often have mistyped - it’s a common ego defense to misidentify, IMO.

No. I tested as 4 and identified pretty readily with it.

Pretty sure. I identified as 4w5 form the getgo. Ive investigated this whole system pretty thoroughly, so I feel confident. There are times I question being a 5 instead, just as a passing thought.

Yes, but my wing resonates nearly equally. Not all descriptions are created equal either.

Sort of. I see it as a spectrum (even the way the fixations are “formed” - they’re like a blend of their wings with 3-6-9 being cornerstones), but suspect one fixation will always be a bit stronger. So I think that someone could be 3w4 and have both fixations nearly equal so that it’s hard to distinguish if they’re core 3 or 4. The whole point of wings is that it’s not about extremely clear cut categories. However I think it’s highly likely one fixation emerged first in childhood and is really the core of the ego.

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A few questions on Enneagram type. Do you think this system works for everyone? What has been your experience?

1. i think it can be super hard to type some people but i don't know that i think it's because nothing fits or because they just don't know their self well enough?? or maybe they're just sooo balanced that it's just murkey looking.
2. yes, totally.
3. i'm not terribly sure of it, no.
4. no
5. yes maybe

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. unsure

2. Yes. I typed as e9 for 1.5 years, e5 for about a year, e6 for a bit, then e3.

3. Yes. I relate the most to 359 descriptions. It took me several years to settle on a type due to anxiety issues but over the past two years, my true personality seems to be showing through consistently.

4. I sort of relate to descriptions, but I would say that I am much more self-aware than the descriptions attribute to the type. Not that I am delusional, but analyzing myself and others was a way for me to deal with things.

5. Not sure.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I think 9 types of these problems is a bit limited. Sometimes I wonder if something else would fit for me, though I think there is some numerical reason for there being 9. But I do think that at least one person doesn't fit it.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

You have to buy into a system like this before it works for you. you can call that research or understanding but if you don't buy it you won't get it

Of course, there are always people who don't fit into any particular stereotypes/boxes, we can only ever go with our best fit

Yes, I first wanted to be a 7w2 and felt pissed off that it wasn't an option, however since researching/buying into it I have accepted 7W6

Not really, probably pretty close. Probably months/years

Only parts of it, I think thats the best we can hope for, some are much closer fits. Theres universal sizing, we all have different body shapes

Sure, it's one theory... but don't forget the space in the centre

/ends

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'll take this as parts of the same question, since they're one and the same to me.

You can fit anything into any model. Ever.

But have you ever tried drilling a 5/16" screw into a 1/4" hole? You could do it, but have to press the hell out of that drill and really force the whole thing. Maybe even earn yourself a bunch of bruises in your hand, too. In the process you either get a stripped screw or buckling around the hole, but, hey; success nonetheless. Well, so long as you don't have to unscrew the thing and back it out to the piece-parts again, because otherwise you can see what a terrible mess it all is.

The Enneagram is one perspective of many on personality, and it's one model of the infinitely available models out there. Sure, you can handjam it. But does it buy you anything if you do? Does it work?

I'm pretty sure that I'm a 9 rather than a 3. (But see handjamming above anyway.) Hear me out.

Threes and Nines can be mistaken for each other in that both are highly adaptable and both can be interested in gaining acceptance from others. Although it is not always obvious in the case of Threes, both can also have trouble recognizing who they are or what they really want. Threes can also resemble Nines when they move to Nine in their Direction of Disintegration, becoming more disengaged and unmotivated by their usual goals.​

And essentially, I'm all over that central triangle:

It happens just enough that some participants have 3, 6 and 9 in their yes pile, and they wonder why, since there is no obvious connection between and among these types on the Enneagram symbol.

The most obvious way of understanding this confusion is that all three of these types (3, 6 and 9) are arrow lines of each other. For this reason, many people may get confused between an arrow line and their core type, just as they may be confused between a core type and a strong wing (one of the types on either side of the core type). Understanding how the arrows function helps, and it’s not just about where we go in stress and security or when we are relaxed. Many people – and this is a good thing – have access to both of their arrow lines, the two resource points that, along with the wings, add complexity and even flexibility to our core ego-type. But it is, I think, more than that.

Here’s the more. Helping so many people with type, I have experienced more people on the 3-6-9 triangle, the central triangle of the Enneagram, be more confused than those with other arrow lines.​

I used to thrive on the workahol, but not hardly as much anymore. That's shift is what's thrown me off. I realize that even Threes would mellow over age, and it's just one piece of evidence.

But putting the whole trajectory together into a cohesive story, it so happens that I'm concerned less about being awesome at everything and convincing myself of the same than I am about being heard at all and feeling at all important.

It's just that...

Your ultimate concern or fear is being dismissed, not worth keeping, or, experientially speaking, annihilated.[...]

You tend to focus on environmental claims and experience yourself as reacting primarily to others and events outside yourself. The fact that you have lost touch with your inner separate self in favor of adapting to the environment and merging with others becomes the central issue for your healing and development. You struggle fundamentally with gaining or reclaiming a separate self that feels loved equally to all others. Thus, your main task is awakening to yourself, literally to love yourself from a personal reference point for which there is no substitute and to establish your own priorities and timelines instead of falling into comfortable secondary pursuits and getting resistant to over-influence.​

and

Nines as Children Often* feel ignored and that their wants, opinions, and feelings are unimportant

...achievements are definitely a way to (a) make yourself heard, loud and clear, from the mountain top; and (b) forge a path toward claiming an identity.

Those who know me would tell you that I'm pretty reserved in most circumstances. Those from here who've met me, especially the more extroverted ones (@EJCC [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION]), would tell you the same.

As far as how long it took? Assuming I'm right, approx. 10 years. As far as certainty? I'm going to say 99.9%. If 3 is a 1/4" hole, 9 feels like a 17/32". I'm right until I'm wrong. At least, 9 is the most useful part of the lens.

Possible if it's a useful construct. As a 3w4 I saw myself as leaning pretty closely toward center of 3/4 because I actually gave a damn about identity and am fairly introspective.

One being smack dab in the middle of, say, 3 and 4 means that they resonate with the union of all of the traits and inner workings of 3w4 and 4w3. If that construct (3 or 4? 3.5?) is more useful for self-exploration than whatever agonizing over whether you're a 3 or a 4 would get you, then you may as well roll with it.

Enneagram
9w1
Enneagram is the easiest typology wtf you doing, maybe you just are super healthy and have no needs, motivations, wants, you just are perfect. In that case you're God and you can continue with your Godly agenda.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enneagram is the easiest typology wtf you doing, maybe you just are super healthy and have no needs, motivations, wants, you just are perfect. In that case you're God and you can continue with your Godly agenda.

Neitzsche says I'm dead. :(

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's not possible to answer this question objectively. The problem that everyone from the leading theorists to everyday forumites share is how to conceptualise a type: there is the threefold question of 1) grappling with the nature of three abstract forces 2) the characteristics that they combine to form in a person and 3) the language to capture those characteristics. That some people will always fall outside those efforts doesn't preclude that they are "a type" and those efforts can never by their nature be conclusive. Who knows - perhaps if we had evolved with a more subtle form of communication than language and more subtle minds than the conceptual and symbolic ones we have, less would have fallen through the cracks of the system.

Having said that, I feel that if the answer is "yes" than the system doesn't really exist. I mean, it should be ontologically airtight, right? It can describe our relationship to music after all - one of the most profound of the everyday experiences of consciousness. It has an elegant mathematics behind it. It's reputed to have infinite applications. It shouldn't be vulnerable to chubby Harry Dodds the postman, down the road, who's never heard of it, doesn't have the intellectual curiosity to be interested in it, but effortlessly blows it out of the water because he genuinely doesn't fit into it. That's when the poetry and the maths and the existential assertions come crashing down and it's just a pretty rendering of what 20th century psychiatry has shown us in much more prosaic terms: the groupings of certain neurosis and disorders that are statistically more likely to found together within one kind of person than another. In that case it belongs with other systems, such as Chakra theory, that are intuitively appealing yet sit uneasily with science. The uneasy relationship of subjectivity and objectivity. The Enneagram is subjective and too many authors try to render it objective. Try to "westernise" it, you could say. Which brings me to answer the question that doesn't have an objective answer: if it works for you then cool, because, being subjective and personal, you're the only person for whom it's supposed to work.