• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] What type did your culture raise you to be?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hard to say, especially because culturally I'm an amalgam (which I feel more at this particular time of the year, haha). For me it makes more sense to focus on my family, and what my family sort of raised to me be. It's hard for me to sus out what from that is due to any particular ethnic/cultural influence. But from my family, probably 9... maybe 4.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If by culture, you mean American ghetto/middle class mixed.

It's hard to say, because my family was unusual. It was a mix between 8, 3, 9 and 7. I had high expectations put on me constantly, was forced to figure things out alone, and to succeed and know how to do everything, all while they were trying to trick me constantly. I had to be strong and speak up constantly when spoken to, but also expected to be quiet and accomidation while not.

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This gets complicated for the fact that although I'm black and I think 'stereotypical blacks' are probably like...ESXP or ESXJ 7w8s or 8w7s, I was raised in mostly white and some hispanic neighborhoods. Therefore I don't know if I could really refer to that as MY culture, if you know what I'm saying. I feel like if it was MY culture, I would have probably been more likely to turn out that way. :shrug:

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Coming from white-ville, definitely 3, 6, or 9. Family wise, if I were to match as they had wished I would have been a 7w6, a 2w3, or a 3w2 with a stunning sp blindspot.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Raised by ESTJ who didn't want me to show my emotions if I'm ever upset, nor show weakness, to toughen up, and do what I'm told, and not never talk back, focus on bible tradition Si, details and that it's the Word of God, and it's values are absolute, to have strong bibilical valuesl, ect. My Grandma fighting with me over my hairstyle and look cuz she didn't like it, ect. Fond memories. So I guess the conclusion is simply, controlling parental figures.

6 security oriented

8 being tough and "keeping up"

yeghor

There are different subcultures in my society.

School/official curriculum preached males to be ISTJs and females to be ISFJs, rule abiding and willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the many or state. That would be most similar to the Japanese culture today if it worked.

However, the real school and management culture was xSTP oriented, students trying to dominate each other, engaging in fights and antisocial behaviour, teachers rising up the ante to keep the dominant students under control. They did not want to resort to legal means to control aggressive students as they did not trust the judiciary system themselves. This was way worse in schools in poorer neighbourhoods.

In rural areas, culture was more oriented towards SP behaviour, where people tried to enforce their own law by force when they needed to.

In overall culture in cities, both the men and the women exhibiting xSTP (antisocial) behaviour were at an advantage in that the culture enabled even idolized their behaviour, portraying it as being strong (manly) and not naive/loser, and failed to redress it as it was the predominant behaviour. The system failed to protect particularly the SFJs.

I've come to notice that the more the rule of law weakens in an area, the more the culture turns into "survival of the fittest" and starts favoring xSTPs (cutthroat behaviour), portraying them as strong, and their victims as weak. In such environments it pays to have intrinsic non-empathic and aggressive qualities so that others won't dare to attack you and you can exploit them without remorse.

So the official system preached enneagram 9 behaviour whereas it enabled enneagram 8 behaviour.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd say 9 or 3. Mainer culture is very 9w8/8w9-mind each other's business, let things go but don't be a "sissy", keep to yourself but protect your loved ones. Northern Maine is more solution master tri, Eastern good samaritan, central Maine justice fighter or triple attachment(my area now seems more triple attachment compared to where I lived that was like 45 minutes from here). Western Maine is hard to read but I suppose systems builder, and then southern 9 core ambassador. But yeah, all together I think the core values are pretty 8w9/9w8. My other fixes were fine, but I feel like my 4ness did not swim well in my culture. Growing up, I didn't see much individuality amongst the students, there was so many people involved in the "country" culture and bragging about mudding and hunting. The men were expected to be able to fix things, and the ladies while still stereotypically feminine were basically personified female country songs. 90% of the people there were like that, even the people with more "geeky" and artsy interests. I was the only one I recall not being interested in hunting, fishing, mudding, snowmobiling, etc. High school things were a little more mixed up luckily since more people, but still. Then I moved to the mediator town, where there were still those country people but there were a lot of preppy AP class people too, lots of different cliques. Poorer people vs the "lake kids". Even though I had little in the way of friends, my 4 fix fit in just fine. There wasn't really any "norm" to be, and also there was a lot of LGBT people, like even the statistics showed that compared to other towns in Maine we were extra LGBT so that was fun(stats may be off depending on whose out or not but yeah). As for my parents, my mom seemed to want me to be a 3. She really pushed me academically, and I went along with that at first but eventually when I realized I couldn't live up to those expectations it sucked the 3ness out of me. She wanted to doll me up the way she pleased, and was upset that I wasn't more outgoing despite being that way herself. Could have been projection? Meanwhile, even though he's a 1w9 core, I guess my dad raised me to be a 9, but that's probably cause he had so little expectations for me. Just give things a try, be respectful, take things easy- those were the main things he really cared about. My extended family luckily doesn't have much drama going on with them, and they never really expressed any particular expectations for me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure, but I have definitely always felt like the culture around me was NOT raising me to be a 1.