• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] CAN YOUR TYPE CHANGE?

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
Can a traumatic experience or the repetitive intention of change over time cause major alterations in your type?

Any experiences?

Last edited:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally I believe trauma if you're young enough and your brain is still developing can possibly change it. Mostly that will effect enneagram when you're still developing but it may even influence your mbti but probably only in the case of trauma. I believe when you' young your brain is still developing and far more susceptible. Once your older it probably won't change. But still how would personality disorders effect this would be interesting to know since INTP's for example seem to be mixed with aspergers as ENTP/ESTP's can mix with narcissistic and sociopathic behaviors.

Usually though outside of disorders I just believe that the mbti type would probably stay the same just develop (nature) and enneagram would be develop from experiences growing up otherwise. (nurture)

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I believe it can change. We're humans and we're always growing and changing, and sometimes you can discover your true type as you get older. There's also the simple mis-type, which isn't often realized right away.

It's said that types can't change, but I believe they do. Mine has over time, I think.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think enneagram could perhaps switch wings.

For instance as a teen I wanted to stand out and be different but I also struggled with the idea of not fitting in (4w3) but now I struggle most with not fitting in but feel fitting in requires me to give up some of my internal values (3w4). So with my life and experiences they switched, though it is a particular strong fighting battle for dominance between 3 and 4.

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
I believe it can change. We're humans and we're always growing and changing, and sometimes you can discover your true type as you get older. There's also the simple mis-type, which isn't often realized right away.

It's said that types can't change, but I believe they do. Mine has over time, I think.

I agree.

Due to neuroplasticity, I think we guide those changes. Everything is a set of patterns.

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
I think enneagram could perhaps switch wings.

For instance as a teen I wanted to stand out and be different but I also struggled with the idea of not fitting in (4w3) but now I struggle most with not fitting in but feel fitting in requires me to give up some of my internal values (3w4). So with my life and experiences they switched, though it is a particular strong fighting battle for dominance between 3 and 4.

I feel my teen self to be more 7 like, nothing like my 8 self now.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree.

Due to neuroplasticity, I think we guide those changes. Everything is a set of patterns.

Exactly, I think that's what it is. And of course that sometimes others see something different about us, and it's often the thing that we miss, in regards to MBTI and other typing systems. And I think you or someone else mentioned trauma, but I think as we change and grow, we're guided towards those changes, towards a new pattern.

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think we change every 5 years.

As for enneagram, it would be marked of your childhood and how your caregivers treated you. Personally, you can act another type but its unlikely you relate to their core of concern.

Since we're all human, ofc a traumatic experience can affect you and your type.

I've been affected by all kinds of experience that change, let's say, my mbti type.... or what is expected of my enneagram type.

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
Exactly, I think that's what it is. And of course that sometimes others see something different about us, and it's often the thing that we miss, in regards to MBTI and other typing systems. And I think you or someone else mentioned trauma, but I think as we change and grow, we're guided towards those changes, towards a new pattern.

Yea our brains, like every cell that makes us, are always trying to find equilibrium ;)

KitchenFly

This topic reminds me of the earth as if we are the planet and or emotions and personality flux is the earths magnetic field differing in general locations as or personalities flux has differing intensities and structural settings.

But it seems it is controlled by a movement of three things as equally important to each other as the individual part. The three things are the Sun Moon and earth its self.

I find it interesting to think about the stability of personality and the freedom of flux within personality even though like a magnet we stay stead fast to the norms of its flux.

This part reminds me of the north and south poles the tilt of the planet and its rolling motion around the sun the moons stable glued positioning as it faces and circles the planet.

I also think the larger parts of climate change is naturally an influence of the spiralling gravitational influences of the planets and the the Astroid belts. But having said that co2 effect is real but miner compared to the movement's within the solar system of the planets of witch can take up to and more than 100 years to rotate around the Sun.

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
This topic reminds me of the earth as if we are the planet and or emotions and personality flux is the earths magnetic field differing in general locations as or personalities flux has differing intensities and structural settings.

But it seems it is controlled by a movement of three things as equally important to each other as the individual part. The three things are the Sun Moon and earth its self.

I find it interesting to think about the stability of personality and the freedom of flux within personality even though like a magnet we stay stead fast to the norms of its flux.

This part reminds me of the north and south poles the tilt of the planet and its rolling motion around the sun the moons stable glued positioning as it faces and circles the planet.

Precisely how I can see it.
2 sets of 4 functions.
Example:
ENTP (Ne Ti Fe Si) and (Ni Te Fi Se) INTJ
Intuition - Thinking - Feeling - Sensing
North pole south pole.
Like the sun is dominant over the moon so would one of the set of 4, but the 3rd (earth) is created by the use of both together.
Father, sun, holy spirit.

Magnestism is why there is 16. Ask Edward Leedskalnins flywheel.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, but to what degree I'm uncertain. I think Jungian-based typology systems are sometimes presented as a little too static and concrete and don't necessarily account for the fluidity of human personality, nor the diversity of personality, for instance no two ESTPs are quite the same, and so it is with the other types. I also don't think only 16 types is some definite universal law and I look at the types as rough or loose categories that only work when we generalize and don't get too specific. I think human personality is somewhat akin to the physical body--barring any major physical disfigurements or plastic surgery, we are sort of the same person at 70 that we are at 7, yet we also become very different, and in a sense new people. I believe the mind and personality can change or grow accordingly.

I think this might be why the subtypes are so popular in Socionics--they account for some of that diversity, although it's still an imperfect system. Or, for instance, it's why people come up with this sort of thing:

The 24 INTP Subtypes - Wambly

The 24 INFP Subtypes - Wambly

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I also think the larger parts of climate change is naturally an influence of the spiralling gravitational influences of the planets and the the Astroid belts. But having said that co2 effect is real but miner compared to the movement's within the solar system of the planets of witch can take up to and more than 100 years to rotate around the Sun.

Imagine for a second if we were literally controlled by the earth? Forget about robots, the earth is our overlord

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
No way, once your type is set in gene, nothing can change it. I'm sure there may have been a few exceptions whereas a gene may suddenly decide to change but I'm sure that's rare for the most part.

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
No way, once your type is set in gene, nothing can change it. I'm sure there may have been a few exceptions whereas a gene may suddenly decide to change but I'm sure that's rare for the most part.

Set in gene?

A personality is a set of cognitive habits your brain takes when processing information from both within and around. With proper discipline new habits can become more prevalant therefore in order for your brain to save energy it will take the easier route. Self discipline is the 🔑

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is zero evidence of MBTI type being genetic - someone can certainly show a link to some research if I'm wrong about that.

The crocodile punter

Permabanned
Can a traumatic experience or the repetitive intention of change over time cause major alterations in your type? Any experiences?
Yes, I used to be a strong INTJ. After experimenting with various hallucinogenics (psilocybin mushrooms, LSD) I retook the test and although I still came out INTJ, my preference for judging was drastically reduced (went from 95% to 51%).

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
Yes, I used to be a strong INTJ. After experimenting with various hallucinogenics (psilocybin mushrooms, LSD) I retook the test and although I still came out INTJ, my preference for judging was drastically reduced (went from 95% to 51%).

I feel that way about marijuana use.

Haven't experimented with real psychedelics but was planning to. Would you advise against it in your experience?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think type changes whatsoever. We just get better at recognizing patterns within us. The Enneagram is based off of coping mechanisms for reality usually set in place by childhood, and each type would deal with a traumatic experience differently. I have personally experienced emotional trauma and nothing has changed, but the Enneagram has also made some things that happened make sense to me, and ways I acted make sense.

The only development that I see happening is via tritype. As I get older I feel more and more influences from my tritype. It explains more subtle behavior, and much deeper motivations that are just starting to get kindled, rather than full on like your main type.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is zero evidence of MBTI type being genetic - someone can certainly show a link to some research if I'm wrong about that.

I certainly don't think it's genetic, and maybe this is a basic "copying others in a situation" type of thing -- but I do think that one can pick up other people's types if they're around them a lot. Or they can be stifled, in certain situations. Like if they're not allowed to be their real self, they act differently and their true self, their true type, doesn't come out until later.