• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] CAN YOUR TYPE CHANGE?

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
I certainly don't think it's genetic, and maybe this is a basic "copying others in a situation" type of thing -- but I do think that one can pick up other people's types if they're around them a lot. Or they can be stifled, in certain situations. Like if they're not allowed to be their real self, they act differently and their true self, their true type, doesn't come out until later.

I agree.

It might not come out later because it isn't the same anymore though.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree.

It might not come out later because it isn't the same anymore though.

Basically! People grow and change. I don't know what age the brain stops growing, but it doesn't stop the functions from growing. I think circumstances can change a person (ie, traumatic events, upsetting events), but that's not necessarily related to type, because issues (mental, physical, or whatever) don't exist solely because of MBTI. Some people are born sick, some people develop illnesses (threatening and non-threatening), or PTSD or depression or anxiety... and all of that has nothing to do with type. An extrovert can get cancer or be depressed or anxious, just like someone whom is more introverted can. They can be a 4 or a 9 or a 1 or a 2 on the enneagram.

I'm kind of generalizing here, and being overdramatic. But repeating myself/echoing your point, that the types can change because we grow and change and go through life things. And sometimes that expands our cognitive functions and we develop them more. And before, they were under-developed, because maybe before we were a kid, or a teen, and mistyped ourselves, or something. But sometimes when a person meets like-minded individuals, they realize they're a different type. Or sometimes it's with soul-searching or something; you know, realizing stuff.

I mean, it's not that deep, but I'm just saying.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My understanding of the more popular systems here (Enneagram, MBTI) is that they are meant to stay the same but go through phases or can be blocked over time, which is part of what makes typing oneself as enticingly challenging as it is.

However, I'd be interested if there is a typing system out there where people are supposed to shift types per the "rules", and go through a distinctive sequence over a lifetime rather than manifestations of a single type. It's fun to change things up.

yes, yes

not

EnnisPreit

MBTI Type
°Nt
My understanding of the more popular systems here (Enneagram, MBTI) is that they are meant to stay the same but go through phases or can be blocked over time, which is part of what makes typing oneself as enticingly challenging as it is.

However, I'd be interested if there is a typing system out there where people are supposed to shift types per the "rules", and go through a distinctive sequence over a lifetime rather than manifestations of a single type. It's fun to change things up.

not

I can see these holding ground. I still process info the same I always have to I don't think that changes much, but the decision making process is a bit more plastic in my opinion.

Learned behavioral patterns effect many things. I contribute me being able to deal with Fe due to my mother and father, Se due to the sports I was forced to join as a child, and Ti because of learning new languages.

Permabanned

not

Be