• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Have you ever been mistyped as a different enneagram? If so than which ones?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EDIT: After trying this instinctual type out for less than a few hours, it just feels wrong. The thing is, I do fine on one-on-ones, but it's my sp that makes me flee away when getting too close to people. I am horrific in groups and am not a politician type at all. I'm more of a withdrawn George Harrison/Syd Barrett type. Plus, can't count the numerous times I've been told I live under a rock. I could care less what is trending and whatnot. Also, I don't come off friendly like an so/sp does in reality. I can actually be kind of blunt and appear uncaring at times. Like an annoyed Jane Lane. So yeah, back on the sp/sx train again.
Have you looked at this site before?: Type 4 - Enneagram I don't really know, but I think it provides really good descriptions of the types. From this alone, you don't really sound so blind, although some of this I can relate to so I'd almost suggest looking at sp/so instead. So/sp isn't always politician like or necessarily aware of group dynamics (that's more of a Fe or extroversion thing), it's more that they'd like to be part of something greater than themselves. According to this site, so/sp 4s have a tendency to be the most withdrawn of the 4s as well.

Have you looked at this site before?: Type 4 - Enneagram I don't really know, but I think it provides really good descriptions of the types. From this alone, you don't really sound so blind, although some of this I can relate to so I'd almost suggest looking at sp/so instead. So/sp isn't always politician like or necessarily aware of group dynamics (that's more of a Fe or extroversion thing), it's more that they'd like to be part of something greater than themselves. According to this site, so/sp 4s have a tendency to be the most withdrawn of the 4s as well.

No I haven't. After spending time looking through it and checking off what I relate to, I have to say that I checked a lot under sp/sx, but everything under so/sp. I didn't really check off as much under the sp/so stacking. I guess that's saying something. The sx blindspot is something I highly relate to, but am hesitant to admit, maybe because I appear very sx-like in person so it feels 'wrong' to me. But it's very true, and I can't deny it any longer, I suppose. I think my only concern is the fact that I'm much more comfortable through one-on-ones rather than groups, which I despise. In addition, not relating to the networking 'so' trait and the fact that I can be very sp-like when it comes to my own personal comfort. Those are my only hang-ups, otherwise I fit the so/sp typing to a T.

Also, the one thing about being sp-dom that I don't relate to is the dauntless trait. I'm much more of a phobic 6 in that regard. But I also appear like a 4w5, and the so/sp description describes how they can appear 5-like when they rationalize their emotions. That and the indication of being the most withdrawn 4 type seems very 5ish to me and is probably where I get that 5-like quality. I do also wish to become something greater than myself, but I've always attributed that to my 3 wing. I can see myself as both sp/sx and so/sp, but I think I see a clearer pattern with so/sp after reading the article. Well, I guess I'll be wearing the so/sp title again, but this time hopefully forever, lol.

Anyway, thanks a lot. This massively helped to narrow it down. I really do appreciate it. :)

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've gone through most of the enneagram types and I relate to pretty much all of them except for 2. For now I identify as a 9w8, but before that I've considered myself a 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
online? kinda frequently. Not in person though.

And even then, people see me as core 4, but might mistype me on variants, wing, etc. I am actually beginning to wonder if people might confuse attachment type influence (3,6,9; I am tritype 496) with "social" instinct.
Also issues with insecure attachment and not know who you are.
I don't mean on a very serious level, like I know who I am, what I like and dislike, my personality is consistent and I experience it as consistent. But due to never having internalized an attachment figure I am vulnerable to...things. Like sometimes I can't tell that someone is being abusive, for instance, or treating me wrongly. Usually I can, but I can also be gaslit, for examplem and I won't be able to tell since...you kinda need that internalized perception of who you are in another human being's eyes, in order to fully know yourself (secure attachment). It feels pretty raw, actually. Like I am incomplete. I have always had solid intuition, and it has served me well my whole life. I never felt it was off. I was never abused in my childhood or anything like that. But due to recent experiences, which was more or less abuse and/or mistreatment by an entire group, I have been badly damaged. I daresay I lost 60% of my hair due to the trauma caused by this, and also other health issues that I have been dealing with. Which gives me nightmares in and of itself. I don't really want to talk about this further though (don't want to reply to questions or comments on this).
But because of several factors that I can't totally point rn, some might say that I am social first, because I speak or use phrases that are different from how most people might express things. But I am not even aware of that. I am simply being myself. 5s also seem pretty prone to being misunderstood socially where everything seems to be about influence and image instead of someone who is actually being honest, open and sincere. 5s are in the own heads, and though I am not a Five, I most certainly relate to never being understood every time I try to say anything...by strangers at least. I don't think I have this issue with someone who knows me, one-on-one. This is just something I have been noticing recently.

But yeah, none of this tends to happen in real life.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
online? kinda frequently. Not in person though.

And even then, people see me as core 4, but might mistype me on variants, wing, etc. I am actually beginning to wonder if people might confuse attachment type influence (3,6,9; I am tritype 496) with "social" instinct.
Also issues with insecure attachment and not know who you are.
I don't mean on a very serious level, like I know who I am, what I like and dislike, my personality is consistent and I experience it as consistent. But due to never having internalized an attachment figure I am vulnerable to...things. Like sometimes I can't tell that someone is being abusive, for instance, or treating me wrongly. Usually I can, but I can also be gaslit, for examplem and I won't be able to tell since...you kinda need that internalized perception of who you are in another human being's eyes, in order to fully know yourself (secure attachment). It feels pretty raw, actually. Like I am incomplete. I have always had solid intuition, and it has served me well my whole life. I never felt it was off. I was never abused in my childhood or anything like that. But due to recent experiences, which was more or less abuse and/or mistreatment by an entire group, I have been badly damaged. I daresay I lost 60% of my hair due to the trauma caused by this, and also other health issues that I have been dealing with. Which gives me nightmares in and of itself. I don't really want to talk about this further though (don't want to reply to questions or comments on this).
But because of several factors that I can't totally point rn, some might say that I am social first, because I speak or use phrases that are different from how most people might express things. But I am not even aware of that. I am simply being myself. 5s also seem pretty prone to being misunderstood socially where everything seems to be about influence and image instead of someone who is actually being honest, open and sincere. 5s are in the own heads, and though I am not a Five, I most certainly relate to never being understood every time I try to say anything...by strangers at least. I don't think I have this issue with someone who knows me, one-on-one. This is just something I have been noticing recently.

But yeah, none of this tends to happen in real life.

Sorry you went through that.

Just to let you know though, none of that is type related per say. To sum up Enneatype 4 in the simplest manner, they do not feel like they are anything unless they are constantly individuating. There is a pulling away from everything in order to retain originality. Example: If they feel others see them too clearly and can explain who they are too closely, there will be a reaction to individuate to change who they are so that they can never truly be defined. "You don't understand me" will never change because they don't necessarily want to be understood (in the average to unhealthy levels, which describes most people). Additionally and because of this, they have an inferiority/superiority complex and strive to be above others and untouchable, and when they don't feel they have that, they use their inferiority (defectiveness, pain, "you don't understand me") to differentiate, in essence being above others because they are the "only" one who understands the beauty of darkness and pain. Decadent suffering is the throne upon which they rest, resigning to their "affliction" and rejecting the ways of "normal" life because it's not good enough for them. Nothing ever is (unless they develop equanimity).

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry you went through that.

Just to let you know though, none of that is type related per say. To sum up Enneatype 4 in the simplest manner, they do not feel like they are anything unless they are constantly individuating. There is a pulling away from everything in order to retain originality. Example: If they feel others see them too clearly and can explain who they are too closely, there will be a reaction to individuate to change who they are so that they can never truly be defined. "You don't understand me" will never change because they don't necessarily want to be understood (in the average to unhealthy levels, which describes most people). Additionally and because of this, they have an inferiority/superiority complex and strive to be above others and untouchable, and when they don't feel they have that, they use their inferiority (defectiveness, pain, "you don't understand me") to differentiate, in essence being above others because they are the "only" one who understands the beauty of darkness and pain. Decadent suffering is the throne upon which they rest, resigning to their "affliction" and rejecting the ways of "normal" life because it's not good enough for them. Nothing ever is (unless they develop equanimity).

Sorry, I didn't mean to say my experience was type related; I was providing examples and/or reasons for why I might be misinterpreted by those who cannot see me (online), or those who don't know me. My example about insecure attachment was related to that as well.

Also the "not being understood" that I talk about here, I don't think it's necessarily the "4-ish never wanting to be understood." Maybe there is a sliver of that in there, but that is not what I was referring to, for the most part. Insecure attachment has been linked to being unable to properly mentalize, which also includes issues with affect verbalization, and in general feeling like either you are trapped inside your own head and no one can connect with you, or just not easily being understood since you lack a "common language." A lot of this is kinda 5-ish, from what I have read of the type. I am not saying that the fact that I am insecurely attached is 5-ish, but I was referring to stuff like this:
  • Defence mechanism: Isolation, deal with anxiety by isolating feelings from thoughts
  • Thinking: cognitive orientation, replace living with reading, mental classification/organization, connect with others through sharing knowledge
  • Emotional Detachment: unconscious interference with the generation of feelings
  • Fear of Engulfment: hold onto boundaries, fear of being "used up" by others, guarding their instinctual resources
  • Autonomy: self-sufficiency rationalizes their distancing from others
  • Hypersensitivity: they detach from emotional pain because they are sensitive to it; guarding against loneliness, fear, emptiness
  • Alien: unable to identify with others or humanity, off-beat ideas that seem normal, pseudo-autism
  • Shadow/Lost Self: blind spot to their emotions and ability to love
  • Core fears: Intrusion, emptiness, ignorance, surplus, depletion, being fully embodied, annihilation, not existing, obligation
  • Wants Mental Discovery
  • I don't relate to everything in there, but I have bolded what I do. I am not re-considering my core type either, since I have been involved with the enneagram for about 3 years now and it seems pretty fixed. I was just commenting on how I may be "mistyped" by others; which doesn't tend to happen in real life anyway. Everyone can probably very easily see me as 4 and sx.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sorry, I didn't mean to say my experience was type related; I was providing examples and/or reasons for why I might be misinterpreted by those who cannot see me (online), or those who don't know me. My example about insecure attachment was related to that as well.

Also the "not being understood" that I talk about here, I don't think it's necessarily the "4-ish never wanting to be understood." Maybe there is a sliver of that in there, but that is not what I was referring to, for the most part. Insecure attachment has been linked to being unable to properly mentalize, which also includes issues with affect verbalization, and in general feeling like either you are trapped inside your own head and no one can connect with you, or just not easily being understood since you lack a "common language." A lot of this is kinda 5-ish, from what I have read of the type. I am not saying that the fact that I am insecurely attached is 5-ish, but I was referring to stuff like this:

• I don't relate to everything in there, but I have bolded what I do. I am not re-considering my core type either, since I have been involved with the enneagram for about 3 years now and it seems pretty fixed. I was just commenting on how I may be "mistyped" by others; which doesn't tend to happen in real life anyway. Everyone can probably very easily see me as 4 and sx.

That's fair. It's just that 4w5 Sx is the most common mistype and a very rare type in reality, so I felt like clarifying the type a bit.

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I first started looking into enneagram I thought I was either 4, 5, or 9.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, Ive typed as 5, 3, 1, 8, & 6, but I am actually a 4. 4 is hard to pin down due to negative stereotyping. But going based on motivation and desires. I cannot refute the 4 typing like I have the others. Closely followed by 5, and then 9.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there was that bizarre time I convinced myself I was a 5w6.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been mistyped by others as 6w7 and mistyped myself as both 5w4 and 5w6. While I'm probably still mistyped one way or another, I feel pretty ok calling myself a 9w1.
Just requoting myself as an update, 9w1 has been added to my list of self mistypes. So/sp was also a mistype, as well as various mbti types.

NatureChaser

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I used to go back and forth between 6w7 and 9w1 a lot. I got my type right since the first time I learned about Enneagram but I started to think 9 was my type because I feel more at home on PerC's type 9 forum and almost everyone IRL and online think I'm a 9, and I've ever heard that if you relate to every type but 8 it means you're a 9w1. The moment of clarity is when I read an article that explains a little bit about basic fears of every type and I reflect on my childhood. Yes, I've always been a 6w7.

yubitzu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been mistyped as 9w1,9w8,2w1,4w5,7w6,6w7 and 8w9
Took me several months to be sure I'm 6w5.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By others?

Usually 5 and 3, occasionally 1, 6 and 2

For myself, the greatest confusion was between 9, 5 and 4, although I’ve settled firmly on 9.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Occasionally I am typed as a 1 core, especially by people who see me primarily in an authority or leadership role. I do have 1 in my tritype, but to anyone who knows me more personally - and many who do not - I am clearly a 5 core. I might have been typed as 8 once in a blue moon. 5 integrates to 8 so I suppose I can see some of that, but 8 isn't even in my tritype.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been typed by others as a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9.

I hard disagree with the 5 and 9 typings. Nobody's ever had a good argument behind me being either type (more so 9... I've literally typed out threads and some people in the past have had superficial reasons for me being a 9 such as I am withdrawn, not aggressive and vibe that way). 5 is more stereotype based due to me being introverted and having MBTI T.

3w4 vs. 4 has been interesting but when it comes to motivations, I'm definitely more 4. I just have competency (probably due to a 1 fix) and some assertive triad tendencies. 6 is very plausible and in my tritype and could be my core. People usually have reasoning behind these three typings.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
As E9 and surprisingly also E7... Though I don't blame people who've mostly seen me active on Discord for thinking I am 7. People also usually type me as triple withdrawn.

I believe some may have mentioned E5, which I don't even see as a mistype since it could be true. I am just not sure (yet).

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1, 2, and 8.

I think the type that seems most plausible is 1.

I'd say the E2 doesn't really count because it lasted such a short while and was put forth by a very small number of people, who only saw 'Helper' and jumped at the archetype. It was circumstantial. I, at the time unknowing of Enneagram, did tote it around for a while as my type however- which is how it makes it to the list.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
usually my big mistypes are E6. I think people see my loyalty + anxiety and go ooo stereotypical E6.