• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Help Typing Me?

oceanica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hello. I'm rather confused as to what my typing is. To start off, I know my MBTI type is ENFP for sure. There really aren't any other possibilities. However, I've noticed that I've always been a bit off compared to my fellow ENFP friends- I'm not as extroverted, and I have a pretty well developed sense of Te. I'm not particularly bubbly unless I'm having a ton of fun, but my functions are what confirmed my identity as an ENFP, not the stereotypes. What's really confusing me is my MBTI type and my enneagram tritype.

My dominant enneagram type is 4w3. While figuring out my tritype, I've been super confused. I've determined that I'm a 5 (there's absolutely no way I could be a 7, and I'm definitely not a 6). The gut section is leaving me confused. I'm either an 8 or a 1, but I can't determine which one I am. I have the opinionated nature and tendency to guard my emotions like an 8, as well as challenge authority, but I don't do it in a brazen way- I swallow down my feelings like a 1.

I'll answer some typing questions to try and give you all a better sense of my personality.

What were you like as a child?
Extremely sensitive, a bit charismatic, and centered on doing well. I was particularly envious but I could see all sides of a situation; I had a few friends that were particularly nasty to me on occasion, but I clearly remember acknowledging their good traits and defending them to others. My parents said that I didn't cry or show how I truly felt easily (hello, Fi). I was way more outgoing in certain instances, and very shy in others. (Night and day).

Relationship with parents:
Great with Mom (INFJ 1w2) not good at all with Dad (ENFP, most likely 8w7 or 7w8).

What values are important to you?
Empathy, and most importantly, intellect. I can stand being called anything but stupid.

Fears that have characterized my childhood: abandonment, lack of emotional connection, being stupid. Abandonment has gone away, but the last two are still prominent. In flight or fight situations I always run.

How do you see yourself?
A diverse individual. I've never really felt like anyone else (hello, 4ness.) I view myself as opinionated and irritating at times, though many of my friends say I appear extremely reserved and cold. Positively, I can acknowledge that I can do many things, but I'm perfectionistic to a large degree. I have fluctuating emotions- one day I think "I think I'm a good writer" and the next I'll tear myself apart. Needless to say I don't have great self esteem...

How do you want others to see you?
Smart, intelligent, capable, resourceful, kind.

What do you dislike most in others?
Lack of tact and diplomacy, arrogance.

How do you deal with these emotions?
- Anger: I try my best to conceal it; I don't yell, rather I get very logical, expressionless, and cold. Later, I vent to a close companion about how angry I was, but anger tends to fade rather quickly for me. I can get over issues in the sense that they still impact how I view a person but they do not obscure my vision more than any thing else. I do hold grudges but I can acknowledge and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of others.
- Shame: I withdraw emotionally and rarely reveal true feelings. Essentially, I become detached. If something triggers me unexpectedly I can cry and show emotion because I'm caught off guard.
- Anxiety: withdraw emotionally, try to calm myself down, and be proactive. This doesn't always work and I have issues with stress (constant stress headaches have been plaguing me).

Thoughts? I'm not really sure if I am 458 or 451. I know that when I'm in a better environment and under less stress I am a bit more ENFP-ish in terms of the stereotype. However, feel free to retype my MBTI too if you don't agree. My main priority is deciphering my tritype.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=31558]oceanica[/MENTION] It sounds like you actually have all of the important info figured out (minus instincts). Tritype has become perpetuated into popularity in only the last handful of years, and truly does not fit into the system of the enneagram. Honestly, it quite negates it in some ways. If your interested, I wrote more about the topic on my enneagram blog.

As to your core typing, ENFP 4w3 is a pretty logical combo. I think it's really important to fully understand your connection to other types through health-- 4 integrates to 1 and goes to 2 under stress, 3 integrates to 6 and goes to 9 under stress. These patterns explain so much more (as do instinctual variations) than the theory of tritype ever could.

I hope some of that helps! ;)