• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 6w5 vs 6w7

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
6w5s look more introverted, more prone to being counterphobic. They are cerebral so they feel supported and guided unless they are thinkers.
6w7s are the number enneagram type to join a gang, even though they are one of the more intelligent types.
6w5s, there are two forms of them, you got your ninjaest by themselves 6w5s and you got your by the book follow the rules 6w5s such as secretaries.
One thing you are going to notice about a lot of 6w7s, they want to live the pimp life.
6w5s look a little bit more serious and are probably prone to cynicism.

If they are so last, they are both going to look similar.
In order for them to really grow they 9 times out of ten is need to go opposite, direction, 6w5s need to start having faith in their friends and 6w7s need to start having faith in them selves.

ARET45

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
6w5 - more independent, morbid, scholarly
6w7 - more excitable, spontaneous, other-oriented, entertainer

Some more introverted or 'withdrawn' 6w7s can be mistaken for 6w5. But the 6w7's spontaneity, openness, and more expressive demeanour will reveal their type.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm supposedly a 6w5, but some have pointed out my humor/directness/sociability indicates I am a 6w7. I am so far from spontaneous, it's sad, so I can't say I relate to w7 other than occasional feelings of cabin fever and being funny (usually very dry, sarcastic, or dark humor though). I'm actually more torn now between being a 6 and a 4. The first time I took the enneagram, I was in a very bad place emotionally and I think that influenced my answers a bit. This is something I'm looking into more.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The 6w7 will seem more like they need guidance and have more of a padawan mentality. The 6w5 will often have strong views about the world and have more of a 'us vs them' mentality. The 6w7's 7 wing will usually want to keep things light which can make them seem like a positive outlook type. I'd say that paranoia is more of a 6w5 thing but fear is more of a 6w7 thing.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FFS I can't edit that last post but i'd say that fear and paranoia is a 6w5 thing. I use to think 6w7s were more fearful because they are more readily nervous but it is the 6w5s.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The 6w7 will seem more like they need guidance and have more of a padawan mentality. The 6w5 will often have strong views about the world and have more of a 'us vs them' mentality. The 6w7's 7 wing will usually want to keep things light which can make them seem like a positive outlook type. I'd say that paranoia is more of a 6w5 thing but fear is more of a 6w7 thing.

I don't think this is necessarily true. While I suck because I can't find the source where I got this from, from what I've acquired, 6w7s tend to be the more paranoid ones (or at least outwardly). Same with the counterphobic vs phobic thing. 5 is considered to be a more phobic type (withdrawn/ego nature) and 7 aggressive (id/assertive nature), though 5 isn't drawn towards people (as a power seeking type) and tends towards cynicism and 7 is drawn towards others and is significantly more optimistic (because of positive outlook). I'd argue that the real deciding factor is the placement of sx varient wise, since 6 sx is more likely than 6 sp and 6 so to be counter phobic. Both types are based off of fear though.

Too add to the points that you've mentioned, I find a big differentiation be energy levels. At least from what I've seen, 6w7 are more inclined to be "busy bodies," especially when under stress, because of the 7 influence to avoid. 6w5s typically aren't like that. 6w5s are usually inclined towards wanting to master one/a couple specific skills while 6w7s are more inclined to desire versatility, but not necessarily mastery.

EDIT:

Last edited:

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think this is necessarily true. While I suck because I can't find the source where I got this from, from what I've acquired, 6w7s tend to be the more paranoid ones (or at least outwardly). Same with the counterphobic vs phobic thing. 5 is considered to be a more phobic type (withdrawn/ego nature) and 7 aggressive (id/assertive nature), though 5 isn't drawn towards people (as a power seeking type) and tends towards cynicism and 7 is drawn towards others and is significantly more optimistic (because of positive outlook). I'd argue that the real deciding factor is the placement of sx varient wise, since 6 sx is more likely than 6 sp and 6 so to be counter phobic. Both types are based off of fear though.

Too add to the points that you've mentioned, I find a big differentiation be energy levels. At least from what I've seen, 6w7 are more inclined to be "busy bodies," especially when under stress, because of the 7 influence to avoid. 6w5s typically aren't like that. 6w5s are usually inclined towards wanting to master one/a couple specific skills while 6w7s are more inclined to desire versatility, but not necessarily mastery.

No. Everywhere it is said that 6w5s are the more counterphobic 6s and the 6w7s are the less paranoid ones. OP, ignore this unfounded post.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. Everywhere it is said that 6w5s are the more counterphobic 6s and the 6w7s are the less paranoid ones. OP, ignore this unfounded post.

Do you have references that I might be able to read on this? You could be right, I just haven't read that before outside of typology central and personality cafe (and when I did it was more discussion based). This information really isn't everywhere. Regardless, if the information was wrong I do want to make sure that I find better sources and don't continue to share false information if it is such.

I don't think my post is completely unfounded, as sx 6 is specifically inclined to be counter phobic regardless of wing, the id (3,7,8) types are more aggressive than the ego types (5,9,4), and I did provide reasoning for my claims based on what I have acquired thus far on enneagram, though the way I interpreted the information might have been incorrect.

Neokortex

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I beg to differ. I'm 6w7, an Sx subtype, still haven't decided which and contrarian/counter-phobic. I believe I can also recognize some cynical, darker qualities of 5 in me, as well as the rebelliousness because of the contrarian nature. Still, under stress I'm really a busy body, more busy with procrastination than getting the real work done. It's like I put more effort, energy into my hobbies than my chores, life dues. And yes, I see 5s more like judger types, they can keep themselves focused on their projects or remove themselves into their shack and fiddle on something for hours, gradually developing mastery, whereas I'm more decentralized looking for one thing after the other when something gets too tedious. Chains of fun, fun and more fun. :DD And at least we have good humor, damit! xD Urgh!

I guess 5 is more fearful than paranoid, in a sense there might be less to be paranoid about in safety, whereas 6w7 immerses itself more into the social mix. Although, social 5s can also be fairly social.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, i'm officially adding these two to my ignore list. I'm sick of reactive 6s being so darn reactive and then whining about the 6 stereotypes. I don't care if you 'beg to differ' because it's not based on any written fact. There are heaps of 9 stereotypes that I don't fit with but I don't call them out unless someone asks what I think of them. I guess not everyone values peace of mind quite like how we do.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION] I apologize for the irritation I might have caused you with my reactivity. My lack of sources did make my post appear quite unfounded and lacking in founded information, which was quite careless. I have now added sources to my previous post in order to compensate for the claims that I made about type 6w7 and 6w5.

Neokortex

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION]
hahaha, good, do put us on ignore! :DD, it's in everyone's right to not take learning here as self-obligation. And back at you, we're also fed up with reactive (w)8s or E5s whose wanting to keep things under their control is in contrast with the extroversion of (w)7s that irritates them back to their shack by the flexibility that allows in new information that may trump! their pet theories and challenge them in areas in which they lack first hand experience (bc of, you know, mental masturbation in their shack xDD).

and p.s. I did look at russel howe's descriptions and the only difficult point is distinguishing btw 5w6 and 6w5 but the rest, that which can be related to the matter here, seems to be relatable to me. :p :shrug:

Boogie man

Da Voodoo
MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
Alright, i'm officially adding these two to my ignore list. I'm sick of reactive 6s being so darn reactive and then whining about the 6 stereotypes. I don't care if you 'beg to differ' because it's not based on any written fact. There are heaps of 9 stereotypes that I don't fit with but I don't call them out unless someone asks what I think of them. I guess not everyone values peace of mind quite like how we do.
Please add me to your ignore list too then, because I don't want to see blatant typist posts like yours. As for "reactive," you top that list. Mirror mirror.

Neokortex

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please add me to your ignore list too then, because I don't want to see blatant typist posts like yours. As for "reactive," you top that list. Mirror mirror.

We're all blatant typists, though. And we're all reactive. We're all broken... in the fight of being pitted against each other in this... unfair, competitive, dog eat dog world. :( :mellow:

- - - Updated - - -

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tonight at 9: Pot calls kettle black.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have references that I might be able to read on this? You could be right, I just haven't read that before outside of typology central and personality cafe (and when I did it was more discussion based). This information really isn't everywhere. Regardless, if the information was wrong I do want to make sure that I find better sources and don't continue to share false information if it is such.

I don't think my post is completely unfounded, as sx 6 is specifically inclined to be counter phobic regardless of wing, the id (3,7,8) types are more aggressive than the ego types (5,9,4), and I did provide reasoning for my claims based on what I have acquired thus far on enneagram, though the way I interpreted the information might have been incorrect.

I think this is a legitimate question. I sometimes wish when I did this analysis, I looked at instinctual subtype and wings. It was Thanksgiving break, I had a rush of energy, decided to do the thing on a whim and wanted to get it done before going back to work :).

I am certain that sx is associated with counter-phobic. As to 6w5 vs 6w7, I don't recall anything in any of the books I have saying one way or the other but then I might be forgetting. I can imagine that 6w7 would be more likely to be so and 6w5 tend towards sx - so it could be true. Again, I'm not aware of anything authoritative to back it up though. I would also imagine that so would come across as less reactive than sx too. This is all just speculation though.

Let's stop with the ignore bickering stuff. That's not useful to the discussion.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's stop with the ignore bickering stuff. That's not useful to the discussion.

I only gave my obvious ways of telling the differences between the 6w5 and the 6w7. I was ambushed by two 6s that wanted me to cater to their experience as a 6 basically. I didn't have time for people who just want to find faults in someone who is clearly trying to help the OP.