• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Which defense mechanisms do you use?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 1 - Reaction Formation.
Type 2 - Repression.
Type 3 - Identification.
Type 4 - Introjection.
Type 5 - Isolation.

Type 6 - Projection.
Type 7 - Rationalization.
Type 8 - Denial.
Type 9 - Narcotization.

I don't know what the names are for everything. I know that I compartmentalize (i.e. I don't think about certain things in certain contexts so as to not have to resolve possible conflicts). I get sad sometimes when I should be angry and anxious when I should be sad, etc - I sort of smother one emotion in another, perhaps one which feels less vulnerable. For instance, envy can get painted over with melancholy or a kind of unspecific resentment at the universe. Insecurity can get painted over with a kind of elitism (i.e. contemptuousness for mundane things).

I still don't full grasp introjection for 4s and how it connects to the core fixation. I suppose it is taking stuff too much to heart, as if anything bad that occurs is somehow an indicator of your innate significance as a person; and good things get internalized as your ideal image.

I actually wrote this some time ago, and it yet, it doesn't fully click for me:
4s have[the] problem of overidentifying with their strongest emotions, seeing it as who they are (a bad/defective person, if negative; or someone exceptional, if positive), as opposed to sometimes just being a response to outside people/things. 4s use introjection to avoid feeling insignificant, since extremes of emotions have meaning, whether good or bad.

I also suspect it stems from lack of mirroring from caregivers - hence a feeling of being "different" and often in a flawed way.
It's easy to see how this could happen with INFx children, who make up the majority of 4s, but who may not see themselves in their parents (who are more likely a very different type).

I also wonder how many other 4s grew up being told they were gifted and unusual? I know I internalized these comments as an "identity".

I see identification easily in me (identifying with tastes, as if liking certain things somehow says something about me), and my most obvious defense mechanism is probably isolation. This is the most conscious, deliberate one, and even knowing that, I run to it like shelter in a storm every time.

I am not surprised to see projection, narcotization and identification for 6,9 and 3 respectively. Being the cornerstone types, these most basic defense mechanisms occur in most people to varying degrees. There is a difference when it's some conscious maladaptive coping mechanism and something that affects your whole psychology though. So I am sure I engage in all of these, but not so surprisingly, I have to think hardest about the 4 defense, as it seems to permeate my very consciousness.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
TBH my coping mechanisms match up super well with my type. It's an endless cycle between introjection and projection, and they're both pretty endless. I do isolation and rationalism sometimes too, but not as much.

yubitzu

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've used all of these

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, about all of them. Lmao

The one I am most aware of is repression, which means I am probably disintegrating.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type 2 - Repression.
Type 3 - Identification.
Type 4 - Introjection.
Type 5 - Isolation.
Type 6 - Projection.
Type 7 - Rationalization.
Type 8 - Denial.
Type 9 - Narcotization.

I think the only one I specifically haven't used is identification. Introjection also doesn't seem to be a common one, nor is projection (at least to my awareness). I'd say isolation was my top is narcotization wasn't something I did unconsciously by default.

yeghor

In order of preference, 5, 1, 7, 2

Type 2 - Repression.
Type 3 - Identification.
Type 4 - Introjection.
Type 5 - Isolation.
Type 6 - Projection.
Type 7 - Rationalisation.
Type 8 - Denial.
Type 9 - Narcotisation.