• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Jumpy enneagram results

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Receiving results of main 3,5,6,7 and 8 mostly. The results might depend on whether I've had sushi or thai food, a bad day or a good one. Most of the other systems get a more consistent replies from me, but enneagram tests seem more like a failure to me, or maybe I'm supposed to feel like a failure. (I joked about the food.)

Someone pointed out I might find a revelation of myself if I studied enneagram in conjuction with my MBTI type. This enneagram system seems like a pretty hard chore to use. If I wanted to stabilize my results I should probably take 5 or more of the tests 2-3 times each and average the results to find that I'm .. say, an achiever (3) or an intellectual.

I find it extremely hard to believe that any such results would reveal anything about me. I'll give you a comparison. Lets imagine I would be unable to measure my height. Instead I would sample my height against random persons on the street, only storing the information whether I were approximately as tall as that person (3), taller (4), much taller (5) or much less tall (1), or in other words, shorter. So, after 300 tries, I might have gathered 150 samples indicating I were taller than people on average, and 50 indicating I were shorter. Fitting this data to a curve might give me an estimate of my height. Now, isn't this an awfully laborious way to measure something you can measure directly?

Enneagram doesn't seem to give consistent results even though I'm of (relatively) sound mind and body. A bit depressed and devastated due to some circumstances but pretty fine I'd say.

Should I really go through the chore of making all those tests and averaging them out only to find out my most probable enneagram type? What's it worth?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You don't find enneagram through tests. Enneagram tests for the most part are garbage at determining type, they only work if you are the literal stereotype of your type. Also some types are notoriously hard to test for accurately 9 *cough cough* 5 *cough cough*.
The best way to etype yourself is through self-discovery or having some members ask you questions. I'll ask the first one, which types do you most relate to and why? Which ones do you least relate to and why?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Taking the short descriptions from enneagram institute, https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions/
I probably mostly resemble 1,3,5,7 and 8 the most, and 2 and 9 the least.

Why I don't like .. or why I don't think a description fits:
------------------------------------------------------
2 the helper doesn't fit as I'm not generous toward strangers and although I act generously from time to time, I'm much too principled towards what I know is true instead of being a people-pleaser.

4 the individualist doesn't describe what I'd like to be, being temperamental and all that. I feel it describes my thoughts a bit the behavior of a 4 isn't forthcoming to what I value so I don't do it.

6 descriptions fits many of my thoughts and values nicely, except when there's a mismatch between where my loyalities lie and where they are expected to be, I look like anything but an 6. I hate the idea that someone would use "loyalty" and expectations to manipulate me into being loyal to something that doesn't earn loyalty on it's own merits.

9 I'm not there to calm people, I'm doing my own agenda. I like being in support of people from time to time - I value it - but I don't seek situations where others rely on getting comfort from me, quite the opposite.

Why I think a description might fit, or why I might like a description
----------------------------------------------------------
1 Rationalism is pretty much my cornerstone. It's not the only cornerstone but I'm able to take rationalism very far before it's diluted by unverifiable beliefs, much more so than all but the purest rationalists. I use self-control in thought to examine all aspects, even those I don't like. In behavior I like to be more carefree though.

3 Achieving something is important to me. I feel pride in seeing my name or my competition number placing high in some score lists. I don't think that being an underachiever is particularly fearsome scenario for me though. I do think that doing well is important, but there's some leeway in how to interpret who's doing well and who isn't. I'm not a hardcore achiver.

5. I see life as mostly a cerebral exercise. In my laziest moments it means playing some video games and browsing the web, but often it means creating and building something. My solutions have been working ones and often more innovative than usual for such situations. So I like this one.

7. Fun and distractions, oh yeah! I like being versatile, being ready for many things unprepared. The flux of new information, new ideas and experiences can be very exciting and refreshing. I have to battle against this one so I don't turn out someone who doesn't finish anything or someone who misses the truth because some exciting new thing came along.

8. Power of mind, power of situation. This is important. I would not have my control given to others. If I were to do random things, I could expect random results - but if I set my mind to it, I can get the results I want. Mostly I exert my power to stay autonomous and get the resources I want, but I don't go out of my way to tell people what to do. I can instruct them if needed but I'm really not seeking opportunities to do so.

INerdTP

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Counterphobic 6w5?
6 isn't about blind loyalty, but about sticking with your actual loyalties.
The w5 adds a 1ish and 5ish nature, counterphobia adds 8, and the 3 and 7 are the stress points of 6 and 5.