• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] How to know whether am 7 or 8?

sonictard

Whats the basic differences between 7 and 8? Sometimes I feel like 8, sometimes like 7, sometimes like 3 (this sounds pretty much 7). But, how do I know for sure what type am I. I know, you will say, "take the test...", but, test is, limited, uncertain, Im not sure what to pinpoint for an answer. Whats the basic instinct of 8, and 7? Is it sex, or power, or experience, or fear...or what? Can I be a mix of manny types? Are 7 aggressive?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram types are distributed, it is hard to pinpoint a single type as the one you are. You may choose how to identify your enneagram type. Furthermore, the level of influence of each type shifts at different times.

Type 7 is associated with the extroverted perception function. Type 8 is associated with the extroverted thinking function, as well as extroverted sensing (Se in socionics gives a clearer impression of this).

Aggression is not typically a trait of Type 7 itself, but rather Type 8. The mix of Type 7 and Type 8, as above, suggests the extroverted sensation function, and Type 3 fits in with this also.

Type 7 is escapism into the realm of excitement seeking. Type 8 is a defense against ego intrusion through use of combat.

Type 7 is like the movement of a fly, Type 8 that of the stag beetle.

I inquire as to the motivation behind your inquiry, if I may.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=25394]sonictard[/MENTION] 7 and 8 are very different in my opinion, that may be because I have read deeply into Enneagram ( which I believe is the best, and only way to truly learn the system).

First: Tests are dumb, unreliable and should only serve as a jumping off point-- far too many people take the test, get a result, smack them selves with a label, and call it a day without ever really understanding what that means. That's abusing the tool out of negligence and leads only to stereotyping and misunderstanding.

Now back to your question. If you feel like you may be 7 or 8, then you've probably found core + wing. The key to determining which is which, is in deciding which motivations are more dominant in yourself.

7 is more bouncy and energetic, they tend to have issues with focus, and crave general variety in their lives. The reason for this (motivation), is to distract themselves from any sort of pain-- specifically serious, dark, or painful thoughts, conversations or interactions with others. They just want to have fun, see the world and focus on the positive. The core sin of 7 is Gluttony, or overdoing/indulging in basically everything.

8 is more grounded and solid in presence and tends to come across as a dominant, independent and leadership oriented person. 8's can also have the reputation of being jerks, as the often challenge and push the buttons of others-- the reason for this (motivation) is because Challengers believe they must dominate and gain control to survive. The core sin of 8 is Lust, and usually manifests in their desire to control and overpower everything in their environment-- destruction is often a part of this.

These are super brief descriptions. As I said, you should probably read up more on the types, The Wisdom of The Enneagram is a great starting line.

Since you mentioned 3 as well, here's a post I wrote on the differences between 3 and 8, and 3 and 7.

As to your question about aggression, any number of Enneagram types can be, just motivated by different things.

Hope that helps!

á´…eparted

passages
The others summed it up fairly well. On the surface they seem similar but are totally different.

Both do not want to be controlled, and respond strongly to such attempts. However they respond differently and for different reasons.

7's want freedon and can not tolerate that being restricted. If they are they will double down their efforts towards and go around or subvery the restrictive force

8's want to be strong, and anything that challenges their strength or self-control will be sought to be destroyed and attacked head on.

Edit: it is worth noting that if you are INTP, you are much more likely to be a 7 than an 8. Like with anyone though, all type combos are possible.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Edit: it is worth noting that if you are INTP, you are much more likely to be a 7 than an 8. Like with anyone though, all type combos are possible.

Not to mention that you are probably ENTP if you have this dilemma.

á´…eparted

passages
Not to mention that you are probably ENTP if you have this dilemma.

I agree. From what I noticed INTP has perhaps the strongest correlation with enneagram; more than half is associated with E5, and E5 is a dissolve/evolve point for both E7 and E8. Based on the meta-data highlander gathered a while back, I believe INTP had the highest percentage association with an E-type over all other types.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I agree. From what I noticed INTP has perhaps the strongest correlation with enneagram; more than half is associated with E5, and E5 is a dissolve/evolve point for both E7 and E8. Based on the meta-data highlander gathered a while back, I believe INTP had the highest percentage association with an E-type over all other types.

I saw the data so I agree.
However if the person thinks seriously about 7 8 and 3 like the OP then the person is almost surely ENTP rather than INTP. (however the person could be mistyped completely for what we know)

á´…eparted

passages
I saw the data so I agree.
However if the person thinks seriously about 7 8 and 3 like the OP then the person is almost surely ENTP rather than INTP. (however the person could be mistyped completely for what we know)

I have seen some very unusual type combinations that are valid, so I always try to keep an open mind and trust the individuals self assessment until proven that it can't be. Generally I will say or think "ok, there is only a 10% chance based on statistics that their typing is accurate, but it's still 10% so I'll hear it out". I don't like trouncing on someones type or self analysis unless they open them selves up to it, or prove multiple times that they're crappy at it (I don't want to be rude for no reason).

But yeah, 7 vs. 8. vs. 3 is very classic ENTP, and very ET in general.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have seen some very unusual type combinations that are valid, so I always try to keep an open mind and trust the individuals self assessment until proven that it can't be. Generally I will say or think "ok, there is only a 10% chance based on statistics that their typing is accurate, but it's still 10% so I'll hear it out". I don't like trouncing on someones type or self analysis unless they open them selves up to it, or prove multiple times that they're crappy at it (I don't want to be rude for no reason).

But yeah, 7 vs. 8. vs. 3 is very classic ENTP, and very ET in general.

I know, however I still in the end decide based on odds if they are clearly asymmetrical. Especially in this case, since many ENTPs often feel and rate themselves as INTPs.

sonictard

Type 7 is associated with the extroverted perception function. Type 8 is associated with the extroverted thinking function, as well as extroverted sensing (Se in socionics gives a clearer impression of this).

I'm more into extroverted thinking.

[MENTION=25394]sonictard[/MENTION]

Now back to your question. If you feel like you may be 7 or 8, then you've probably found core + wing. The key to determining which is which, is in deciding which motivations are more dominant in yourself.

Motivation to be under control, and that my destiny must be in my hands first, then sensation seeking second. But, sometimes is opposite. Am like Hunther S. Thompson in escapism sometimes.

The others summed it up fairly well. On the surface they seem similar but are totally different.

Both do not want to be controlled, and respond strongly to such attempts. However they respond differently and for different reasons.

7's want freedon and can not tolerate that being restricted. If they are they will double down their efforts towards and go around or subvery the restrictive force

8's want to be strong, and anything that challenges their strength or self-control will be sought to be destroyed and attacked head on.

Both.

Thanks all.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Two things.

One: 7, 8, and 3 are all assertive type so no wonder you see yourself in all of them. I think a 7 would relate to 3 more than an 8 would, so I think you're more 7. Your username and signature are classic 7 too. 7 descriptions often don't highlight their assertiveness enough so you could be thinking you're an 8 cause of that.

Two: 5 connects to 7 and 8, and if you ARE INTP then checkout 5.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whats the basic differences between 7 and 8? Sometimes I feel like 8, sometimes like 7, sometimes like 3 (this sounds pretty much 7). But, how do I know for sure what type am I. I know, you will say, "take the test...", but, test is, limited, uncertain, Im not sure what to pinpoint for an answer. Whats the basic instinct of 8, and 7? Is it sex, or power, or experience, or fear...or what? Can I be a mix of manny types? Are 7 aggressive?

you're INTP and the types you relate most to are 3, 7 and 8? :huh:

biggest differences I've noticed
- 7s engage in hedonism to distract themselves from responsibilities and boring or painful activities; 8s engage in hedonism to feel intense rushes of stimulation
- 8s have greater physical presence than 7s. 7s are prone to overthinking while 8s are not
- in general, 8s are a bit more cynical than 7s
- 7s seek breadth of experience and 8s seek intensity of experience (this one is more general. Sx doms of all types will seek some degree of intensity)
- 7s have a line to 1 and can be quite bitchy and critical under stress. even when more integrated, they retain an undercurrent of 1-ish moralism that 8s usually lack (or at least express differently)

sonictard

I don't know what type I am, but for sure, I seek out control much more than stimulation.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
One thing that helped me immensely when finding out my Enneagram was investigating the key motivations and fears of each type. If you go by behavior descriptions alone, you're more likely to mistype. For instance, because I'm emotional, sensitive, and unique, I thought I was a 4w3 up until just a few months ago. I just wasn't capturing the true essence of 4.

Are you more afraid of being trapped and pain, or of being harmed and controlled? Do you care more about being satisfied and content, or to protect yourself and be in control?

I might add that it's rare for an INTP to be a 7 or an 8. Have you considered ENTP? They're known to be quite introverted at times.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

All of this is me.

sonictard

One thing that helped me immensely when finding out my Enneagram was investigating the key motivations and fears of each type. If you go by behavior descriptions alone, you're more likely to mistype. For instance, because I'm emotional, sensitive, and unique, I thought I was a 4w3 up until just a few months ago. I just wasn't capturing the true essence of 4.

Are you more afraid of being trapped and pain, or of being harmed and controlled? Do you care more about being satisfied and content, or to protect yourself and be in control?

I might add that it's rare for an INTP to be a 7 or an 8. Have you considered ENTP? They're known to be quite introverted at times.

I'll take the test again.

Roars

Permabanned
7's are more fixated on their own sense of happiness, and fleeing from pain - 8's from their sense of feeling like someone else is going to take advantage of them.