• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Merging

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can anyone explain what "merging" is? I still don't know exactly what is means. And how is merging different in e9 and the sx instinctual variant?

KitchenFly

Merging is about making something happen like a bond of synergy, and at a deeper level it's about connecting to authentically connect at a synergetic merged level were the self and other are authentically receptive unto each other's Presence, state of being, authentic self within the moment.

The goal of Merging for me is to go receptive with another, that's a Social Values Level:3 agenda and mind set orientated goal.

Not to many people are keen to play that game, most people's minds are set within a bracket of interpersonal control with the goal or gaining the certainty of achieving that what has been achieved before by others or by self.

The terrain of merging is a little different because it is likely to involve emotions that stem from property's of I states like these below, the standard four and the synergetic balances of the others stemming from the Standard Four.

- sensing
- feeling
- thinking
- intuition

- sense-intuit
- intuit-think
- sense-feel
- feel-think
- think-sense
- feel-intuit

When the dose merge and activate with or without another there is a base stillness, a dual ambidextrous base functioning, ambidextrous S&N and ambidextrous F&T.

The roots of this function for the type:9 states with both parts active from the two sub energies (9w8 & 9w1) Ni and Fi these two couple with another set of merged implicate energies from Point:1 and from Point:8, Te and Se. The coupling of all four forces is an ignition for the dual ambidextrous action. This form of Presence is within all and it found in the first steps of engagement for all types because all processes begin at zero at Point:9 with Presence and end at nine at Point:9 when it comes to the making of Receptive-Presence.

If you add ambidextrous S&N and ambidextrous F&T there becomes 12.

- ambidextrous S&N
- ambidextrous F&T.

- sensing
- feeling
- thinking
- intuition

- sense-intuit
- intuit-think
- sense-feel
- feel-think
- think-sense
- feel-intuit

Some may have seen my diagram that has a number value of 12 at each of the nine Points of the Enneagram.

.................... 12
........12 .................... 12

12 ................................... 12

.....12 .......................... 12

..............12 .........12

KitchenFly

The number value 12 and of having twelve qualities or perspective views to aid in the synergy of the overall inner enneagram is interesting.

Ten plus two is one way I sense this dynamic and all so as a form of a multiplicity a form of a triangle at each Point of the enneagram.

12 can be viewed intuitively as a number symbol of the three triangles (-1-7-4-) & (-2-8-5-) & (-3-6-9-) were in the ten's units could be viewed as linked to the (-3-6-9-) and the two units in the number value 12 could be viewed as linked to the (-1-7-4-) & (-2-8-5-).

The ten's units could be viewed as linked to the dynamic of the ten components below listed.

- sensing
- feeling
- thinking
- intuition

- sense-intuit
- intuit-think
- sense-feel
- feel-think
- think-sense
- feel-intuit

And the two units could be viewed as being linked to the dual-dual dynamic of - ambidextrous S&N - ambidextrous F&T.

Within the general of or inner personality we have the inner observer and I think the lens of the inner observer has the properties of with triangle.

The Primary points three, six, nine make the inner triangle of the living enneagram of personality and I am inclined to separate the list of twelve in to three groupings in two primary ways as a starting point to explore further this basic pattern.

1)

Associated with the feeling triad and the Primary Point:3

- ambidextrous S&N
- ambidextrous F&T

Associated with the thinking triad and the Primary Point:6

- sensing
- feeling
- thinking
- intuition

Associated with the relating triad and the Primary Point:9

- sense-intuit
- intuit-think
- sense-feel
- feel-think
- think-sense
- feel-intuit

2)

Associated with the Feminine Principle.

- ambidextrous S&N

Associated with the Masculine Principle.

- ambidextrous F&T

Associated with the perceptive actions of the Primary Triangle.
- sensing
- feeling
- thinking
- intuition

Associated with the actions of the Six Pointed Fig.
- sense-intuit
- intuit-think
- sense-feel
- feel-think
- think-sense
- feel-intuit

I have the Sx and the 9 as my dominate dual functions and from my merging and ambivalence between my mirrors (others and other aspects of self) this is the inner pattern I detect. With out it we all would not be able to partly or completely merge with another momentarily or with a consistent fluidity with or transactions with others.

Merging and identifying with is a natural every day thing we must do, we can have a negative or positive or neutral attitude or shifting attitude with our functions of identifications and phycological merging.

Perhaps this is why we can find a consistent fractal like pattern at the 18 Subtype level of the operations of the enneagram on the Agenda side of the coin but not on the Mood side of the coin.

I find this a curiosity that is yet to be understood, at lest by myself within my own understanding.

Last edited:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
With 9s, it's usually an attachment to something that bolsters their inner sense of stability. The merging "object" might be something that buffers 9 from external threats or it might be something that makes them more present in the world. Can be anything from spirituality or personal philosophies, valuing certain lifestyles, an idealized self image, fostering certain kinds of relationships, pet theories and experiments, or an actual physical object. The main point being that merging has an fascinatingly contradictory way of making 9s feel more solid and real despite them essentially engaging in self-delusion. The self-delusion angle connects really nicely into 9s supposed (dis)integration paths but that's a tangent. I will say that my interpretation of 9s "characteristic neurosis" is *not* unhealthy merging but rather the stubborn refusal to merge at all.

Sx merging, imo, is the process of trying to connect the purest part of the self with the purest part of something else. Kind of like what [MENTION=24144]KitchenFly[/MENTION] was saying, it's about complete receptiveness and essential feedback. A compulsive search for fundamental intimacy with something "outside" of the self. An obsessive desire to completely understand and be completely understood.

KitchenFly

When merging as an agenda wasn't working for me as a 9 , 9w1 in the formative years of 2 years to 5 years of age I recall gravitating to Point:6 , 6w5 and moving from Sx/sp to and getting stuck at So/sx. It was a very emotional experience. "Why!" was a big question (6) and placating was a strong energy So/sx.

Between the age of 5 years old and 13 years old the flux of personality became drawer.

My w1 linked with Sx/so
My w8 linked with So/sp
My subsidiary wing 2w3 linked with Sp/so
My subsidiary wing 7w6 linked with Sp/sx

And my integration Point:3 connected with Point:6 via 9w8 Sp/so while the 9 energy connected the 6w5 So/sx energy with my 9w1 Sx/sp energy. This mind set generated for me a receptivity that was a form of merging that was a private victory. I had merged with myself (-head-hart-gut-) and learnt to generate a form of receptivity that enabled me to be self reliant with out the need to over compensate in seeking union with others. It placed in touch with a working experience of exercising the team work triangle.

This was my self determination energy. Naturally I did not always exercise this primary focus but it was a proactive form of utilising the merging energy that stems from the triplet of (seeking Union , fear of Annihilation , and desiring to Merge).

It get me thinking if it is posable that seeking union is a gut function linked to Id? Seeking to merge is a head function linked to supper ego? And the fear of Annihilation is a hart function linked to ego? For type 9.

Sense-Feel seems to be my preferred sub conches emotional orientation to view the world though the type nine lens of awareness. My earliest recollection of my 9 Sx/sp emery was at the age of 13 mouths when my mother came home from giving berth to my sister with out bring her home, she was left at the hospital for adoption.

I can recall the excitement of waiting for my mum to return with my sister, but she retuned with out my sister, I was so offended when I read her being that she tried to reason with me and when I rejected her mentally she ran out the door in shock and returned to the hospital and tried to get her daughter back but was talked out of it buy the hospital staff.

I spoke to my sister for the first time five mouths ago. And recalled that memory of that day only three or four mouths ago. I believe I can recall having a strong connection with my sister when she was in my mothers whom as if or harts and minds were connected though a gut a weakness of each other's presence.

Or merged awareness of each other was separated buy my mother not bring her home from the hospital. This incident had a spring impact on my emotional body and something changed that day I lost a degree of interest in intimacy with other persons a numb space closed of space replaced the open space receptive space.

From that point onwards I looked at the world with a mental only out look, I guess I closed the flow between the three centre's and in doing so lost the brilliance that "Is" when the three centre's are as one, a hole complete centre of Being.