• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] How to tell apart a 4w3 from a 4w5

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really don't appreciate your over-generalization, Draon. It's like filling my head with nonsense, so I'm going to assume that everything you say will be dumb from now on.
The other posts in this thread, however, have reinforced my being 5 core and not 4.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I really don't appreciate your over-generalization, Draon. It's like filling my head with nonsense, so I'm going to assume that everything you say will be dumb from now on.
The other posts in this thread, however, have reinforced my being 5 core and not 4.

A little harsh, don't you think? Personally, I think some of what Draon says is pretty insightful, and I enjoy his/her/their presence here.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A little harsh, don't you think? Personally, I think some of what Draon says is pretty insightful, and I enjoy his/her/their presence here.

Nah, anything Draon says only ever serves to misguide my thoughts.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Nah, anything Draon says only ever serves to misguide my thoughts.

That just sounds like a very, very self-centered remark...but I digress. This is off-topic.

Edit: [MENTION=25723]RobinSkye[/MENTION] I agree that OP's thread is misguided, but maybe I'm just averse to making sweeping generalizations, especially when it comes to another individual.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I really don't appreciate your over-generalization, Draon.

Eh, I laughed, as I feel he was trying to be a little mischievous there...but every good stereotype has some truth to fuel it.

For example I can't help but notice that almost everybody on here who types as 4w5 has a black and white avatar. I can credit [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] for being one of the few who seems to have evolved colour vision.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No offense to 4's, but...who the hell would want to be a 4? Haha

Me :cool:

Being an introverted 4 So is even more fun. On the one hand you want to be unique (4 aka special snowflake syndrome) and the universal human desire for individuation and on the other hand as a So you want to gain social value to influence from your niche within a group. Which requires social interactions and energy expenditure. Quite push/pull.

Absolutely. The struggle is real, lol.

Type 5
Basic Desire: to understand the world
Basic Fear: of being overwhelmed by the world

whereas the 4w5 wants to understand something differently (5) as this will make them feel special and unique (4)...... 4w5s can come across as schizoid, melancholic and perpetual victims.

YES.

What I enjoy about myself are very much also about being a Feeler and my specific function stacking as a 4, sp/sx. I can extract great amounts of stimulation from so many aspects of life, and I can find it in the strangest corners; because I am so preoccupied with unfiltered truth I can find beauty in things that make other people flinch and turn away. Also because of this, when working with people, helping people, spending time with them I am a very accepting person with bandwidth for large amounts and variety of emotional communication. I get a lot of joy in seeing things that others don't want to, recognizing the importance of things that are ignored.

This resonates with me on a deep level and also one of the reasons I enjoy being a 4. Thank you, [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION].

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I try not to indulge in feelings and dramatise my life. It would be tempting to call it a "struggle" but more and more, I grow aware of the pitfalls that mentality creates. I believe that one of the most important steps forward a 4 can take is to divorce themselves, emotionally, from their fantasy life. Your imagination can give you anything you desire, but it isn't real and makes you forever dissatisfied. Only the real is truly worth living.

I could, if I wanted to, lie in bed feeling sad that I'm not surrounded by naked models devouring every inch of my body, one on each of my feet, one licking my chest, one with my face between her legs and one straddling me naked...but on the other hand, at least I actually have a bed to sleep in, and it is a nice, big bed, too, I could fit two girls in here...OK enough, I rest my case ;)

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If that person looks like they are stuck up and a little vain, then they are 4w3.
If they look like have an emo vibe, there is a high chance that person is a 4w5.
If they person wear some of the craziest stuff, chances of a 4w3 is high.
If that person seems to be hiding a lot of emotion or seem to be spending a lot of time in their head, they are 4w5.\
If that person is dramatic and over the top, then it is a chance that they are 4w3.
If you feel a creepiness from them, then you can say that person is a 4w5.

4w3s have a tendency a bit more to view their lives as a sort of soap opera and you can feel like they are acting and
it feels more like a story.

4w5s have a tendecy to be dress in regular clothing and they are prone to come across as pessimistic and cerebral, but not all
4w5s are like that.

List of 4w3s List of 4w5s
Pegasus from Yugioh Raven from Teen Titans
Ivy from Soul Calibur Crona from Soul Eater
Sir Isaac Newton Hinata from Naruto
Michael Jackson Revy from Black Lagoon
Raphael from Soul Calibur Lucy from Elfen Lead
Vampire Dude from Blood Lust

No... Enneagram 3 is the most out of touch with their feelings from all the enneagram heart types. Enneagram 3 is extroverted , but not dramatic, that's 2. 3s are ambitious, goal oriented and strive for acceptance and recognition. Therefore 4w3s are more driven, ambitious and extroverted than 4w5s, but certainly not more dramatic.
4w3s are also the most image oriented of 4s and mostly aware of how their presence and looks effect other people.
4w3s often hide negative emotions behind a charismatic and friendly mask, because they care about being liked and popular.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
No... Enneagram 3 is the most out of touch with their feelings from all the enneagram heart types. Enneagram 3 is extroverted , but not dramatic, that's 2. 3s are ambitious, goal oriented and strive for acceptance and recognition. Therefore 4w3s are more driven, ambitious and extroverted than 4w5s, but certainly not more dramatic.
4w3s are also the most image oriented of 4s and mostly aware of how their presence and looks effect other people.
4w3s often hide negative emotions behind a charismatic and friendly mask, because they care about being liked and popular.
4w3s seem to be more prone to being over the top due to a lot of them actresses unless they are so last they are not as image conscious
4w5s can be as well, but it seems a little bit more genuine due to their style

Duffy

I think it's obvious 4w3s are more image conscious. Yes, they can be showy and dramatic, but the majority are more subtle because most 4s are introverts. The 4w3s I've known (average to low health) have come across as effete, precious, avoidant, and a touch elitist. In writing, I see w3 as being more adjective heavy as opposed to inquiry heavy. They adorn themselves with words, descriptions, labels. "I am dark, unique, misunderstood" blah blah. They focus more on presentation and convincing the audience. There is attachment (3), but no detachment (5), no inquiry that weaves back into itself. The main issue with 5s is a lack of presence and doing in physical reality. A 4w5 might declare they are misunderstood, but then this may lead them to ask why they are misunderstood. Is it an issue of communication? Or perhaps there's an underlying need to be misunderstood? And so on and so forth. My point is w5 keeps the person stuck in analysis of feeling and identity. It keeps them detached and mitigates their impact on reality.

Also, I think there's more of a 'take it or leave it' attitude with 4w5s. I think, as a group, they're less weepy.... perhaps more of a instinctual variation thing.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To be true to the self-referential stereotype, I'm about 50/50 on either wing according to all of the descriptions that have been posted so far.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
4w3s have more pazazz to them. They're more feisty and flaunt their drama. 4w5s are more introverted and quiet.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I think 2w3s are more likely to have drama and "pizzazz" than 4w3s.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's somebody I know who is INFP 4w3, only different from me in the wing thing.
Because of his wing 3, there were times I couldn't tell if he was INFP or INFJ
He was more outspoken and seemed to be more outgoing than I am. He was definitely slightly grandiose and more melodramatic than me.

When I compare the 2 inn the case of INFP, I think:

- 4w3: grandiose, melodramatic, lots of swings between being extremely social / outgoing and being a complete hermit (physically and emotionally), more image-oriented and image-conscious (they do not fear to dress or have a specific haircut that shows their authentic personality), more likely to be in the graphic design / illustration / fashion design / acting fields, more prone to being vengeful and bitter, seem "arrogant" to people who don't understand that they can be brutally honest at times, more ambitious and discipline, strong desire to be recognised / remembered.

- 4w5: more analytical and investigative / stronger desire to understand why things are the way they are, more likely to feel rejected for being who they are, more likely to hide their hurts and true feeling, less outgoing, swings between keeping thoughts / feelings to themselves and unexpected outbursts, seems more forgiving (but wait, equally as bitter and never forget though!), more likely to be in psychology / therapy, counseling, research field, seem less action-oriented and more procrastinated, strong desire to understand / relate and to be understood.

ARET45

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Further differentiators -

4w3's vibe is more energetic, expansive, expressive, fiery. 4w3 tend to be responsive and engaging - as per type 3 'mirroring' or checking in with others. They would usually describe themselves as introverted, yet externally can appear quite social and extroverted, attending events and seeming to have a circle of friends. The 4w3 can seem like a 'people-person' as the strategies of the 3 wing are generally designed to charm/impress others. Often 4w3 can seem more extroverted in vibe than the 3w4 counterpart.

4w5's vibe is more collected, cerebral, melancholy, downbeat. The 5 communication style often involves a kind of guardedness, reserved quality. 4w5s seem to be lost in themselves and therefore come across as less expressive and engaged than 4w3. The self-absorption of 4 can be more apparent in 4w5, as the 3 wing brings a more engaging quality and the 5 wing rejecting. 4w5 seem more reserved at first but perhaps open up more the more you get to know them.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aww. I was going think this was going to be an "appreciate a 4" thread. Oh well.

oh and ps if this photo was in color, I'd take the color one but hey I think my avi is very artsy for a b&w photo anyway.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not hard. If the 4 is unhealthy don't bother figuring out the wing since they both look the same when they're unhealthy. But past that, the extravert 4w3s look like 7s except on social media where they don't fear to post sad song lyrics and such. Not that they're afraid to be sad in person, no, but it just doesn't happen as often. It's also hard to tell apart an extraverted 4w3 from a sx 7.

Introverted 4w3s I haven't come across as much, but even though 4w3 is supposed to be more "dramatic", for the introverts it makes them less dramatic than 4w5s IMO. They're still opinionated and have an aura of brood, but they're more smooth and careful about what they say. They also seem more classy and upright to me.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
It's not hard. If the 4 is unhealthy don't bother figuring out the wing since they both look the same when they're unhealthy. But past that, the extravert 4w3s look like 7s except on social media where they don't fear to post sad song lyrics and such. Not that they're afraid to be sad in person, no, but it just doesn't happen as often. It's also hard to tell apart an extraverted 4w3 from a sx 7.

Introverted 4w3s I haven't come across as much, but even though 4w3 is supposed to be more "dramatic", for the introverts it makes them less dramatic than 4w5s IMO. They're still opinionated and have an aura of brood, but they're more smooth and careful about what they say. They also seem more classy and upright to me.

I will give you a thumbs up for stating the obvious