• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] How does extreme stress affect enneagram?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I was very stressed out, depressed, and anxious for several years and i looked like an exaggerated unhealthy 6. But now that I got rid of my stressors, I relate much more to average-healthier 3 and when I interact with 6s, their actions seem a bit foreign to me.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
According to the theory, there are growth and stress changes, in which you resemble more certain type when you are "healthy" and another type when you are "unhealthy".

Growth: 1->7 * Stress: 1->4
Growth: 2->4 * Stress: 2->8
Growth: 3->6 * Stress: 3->9
Growth: 4->1 * Stress: 4->2
Growth: 5->8 * Stress: 5->7
Growth: 6->9 * Stress: 6->3
Growth: 7->5 * Stress: 7->1
Growth: 8->2 * Stress: 8->5
Growth: 9->3 * Stress: 9->6

Now, I'm a 5 sp/sx. But when I'm depressed, other than being a bit reckless, I don't look like a 7. More like I turn into a self-self-self-preservation 5. I lock myself and hybernate, so I'm not quite the norm.. but I've seen it happen like the lists mark in other people, and it'ss true than when I feel better I'm 8-like confident and proactive.

You normally relate to e3?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to the theory, there are growth and stress changes, in which you resemble more certain type when you are "healthy" and another type when you are "unhealthy".

Growth: 1->7 * Stress: 1->4
Growth: 2->4 * Stress: 2->8
Growth: 3->6 * Stress: 3->9
Growth: 4->1 * Stress: 4->2
Growth: 5->8 * Stress: 5->7
Growth: 6->9 * Stress: 6->3
Growth: 7->5 * Stress: 7->1
Growth: 8->2 * Stress: 8->5
Growth: 9->3 * Stress: 9->6

Now, I'm a 5 sp/sx. But when I'm depressed, other than being a bit reckless, I don't look like a 7. More like I turn into a self-self-self-preservation 5. I lock myself and hybernate, so I'm not quite the norm.. but I've seen it happen like the lists mark in other people, and it'ss true than when I feel better I'm 8-like confident and proactive.

You normally relate to e3?

Yeah. When I am in my happy place, I come off pretty self-assured, nonassuming, goal-oriented, and somewhat optimistic. When stressed out, I start overanalyzing, seeking validation/feedback, and become more reactive, passive, and lethargic.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Stressed 6s act more like braggarts, show ponies, identify accomplishments, are competitive or cut themselves off from their own feelings, like the dark side of an E3. HOWEVER, under the most extreme conditions, stressed 6s become paranoid and self destructive through paranoia that others aren't on their side...like will literally start shit they KNOW will make people hate them, like haha you're already against me, I'll give you an even better reason...like I'll give you something to cry about. ..which is likely why lifelong outcast Charles Manson eventually turned to murder, but even less dangerous 6s become very offensive...think Eminem or Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter on a bad day.

So from what I've observed, you go towards your stress point type...but if you go past even that, it's very specific to your enneagram in the way you "hit bottom."

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stressed 6s act more like braggarts, show ponies, identify accomplishments, are competitive or cut themselves off from their own feelings, like the dark side of an E3. HOWEVER, under the most extreme conditions, stressed 6s become paranoid and self destructive through paranoia that others aren't on their side...like will literally start shit they KNOW will make people hate them, like haha you're already against me, I'll give you an even better reason...like I'll give you something to cry about. ..which is likely why lifelong outcast Charles Manson eventually turned to murder, but even less dangerous 6s become very offensive...think Eminem or Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter on a bad day.

So from what I've observed, you go towards your stress point type...but if you go past even that, it's very specific to your enneagram in the way you "hit bottom."

I did consider 6 for awhile but none of the e6 tritypes really seem to fit me. I got super paranoid that people weren't on my side because there were several people who weren't being all that consistent with their actions and I allowed myself to get into multiple relationship triangles all at once.

á´…eparted

passages
You basically layer the bad aspects of the disintegration point, and mix them together with your type. You don't "become" like your disentegration point, but simply mirror it.

In my case, when I am disintegrated to E4, I will more frequently become more condemning, harsh, and rigid with other people and have no tolerance for deviance of any kind. In order to stop it, I will somehow "create" objective facts that have started from personal opinion. The latter of which comes from E4. This is done because for an E1 anything that even smells like it's source is personal and from the self is NOT ok, so the most convoluted or twisted logic will emerge to prevent the individual from even realizing it's the case. Another thing E1's who have heavily disentegrated will attempt to do is steal or block the voice of personal opinions of others. This is something E4's would never strive to do, but when it's mixed in with E1 that's exactly what it becomes. Another common theme for E4 disintegration is being immensely self critical, self punishing, and self restrictive. Often, it will be completely lost on the E1 the extent that this is being done, or even done at all.

Looking at integration/disintegration points is IMO one of the biggest key's to figuring out ones enneatype. I have a lot of qualities of 3 (not obvious to others) and 6 (obvious to others) that can and do lead people wondering if that's my true type. Nevertheless, I neither evolve, nor devolve to E9 (I don't relate to E9 even slightly, and becoming E9-like would be profoundly counter-productive for me). However, I do evolve to E7 (occasionally toxicly- it's possible for someone to integrate poorly), and dissolve to E4, which clinches it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I did consider 6 for awhile but none of the e6 tritypes really seem to fit me. I got super paranoid that people weren't on my side because there were several people who weren't being all that consistent with their actions and I allowed myself to get into multiple relationship triangles all at once.

Multiple relationship triangles? How does that happen? Anyway....anyone can have intuition that someone is lying or being inconsistent, whether it's gut instinct from observing their actions and body language, or "intuitive" in the "I don't know why I know but I do" sense. ..so you weren't being paranoid. Paranoia is an exaggerated state, having suspicions or skeptism doesn't always mean that you are paranoid.

That being said, e9 disentigrates at 6, so they may move from a stage of being disconnected, lazy, floating, or construction of their own little comfortable cloud into a more truly anxious, mistrustful dark side of a 6. I watched a person who solidly identified as 9 who was under personal stress for multiple reasons become deliberately "damn the man" and destructive and vengeful over something. He's permanently banned from this website for what looks very much like stressed CP 6 behavior. ...not that being anti-establishment or trying to change a system is wrong, but healthy 6s get to a place where they trust themselves enough or at least feel secure enough in their groups to exercise this as a trait that is more rational and effective. A healthy 6 optimally works to either bring the group together or make a difference or a change in a meaningful way rather than in a way that hurts them more than it hurts others. And he was a 9..

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Multiple relationship triangles? How does that happen? Anyway....anyone can have intuition that someone is lying or being inconsistent, whether it's gut instinct from observing their actions and body language, or "intuitive" in the "I don't know why I know but I do" sense. ..so you weren't being paranoid. Paranoia is an exaggerated state, having suspicions or skeptism doesn't always mean that you are paranoid.

That being said, e9 disentigrates at 6, so they may move from a stage of being disconnected, lazy, floating, or construction of their own little comfortable cloud into a more truly anxious, mistrustful dark side of a 6. I watched a person who solidly identified as 9 who was under personal stress for multiple reasons become deliberately "damn the man" and destructive and vengeful over something. He's permanently banned from this website for what looks very much like stressed CP 6 behavior. ...not that being anti-establishment or trying to change a system is wrong, but healthy 6s get to a place where they trust themselves enough or at least feel secure enough in their groups to exercise this as a trait that is more rational and effective. A healthy 6 optimally works to either bring the group together or make a difference or a change in a meaningful way rather than in a way that hurts them more than it hurts others. And he was a 9..

haha, not romantic ones, persay... I just got in the middle of several toxic dynamics. Now that I think about it, my disintegration was very much "I give up on life. I don't know what I am supposed to do or supposed to be. Hear me out NOW but I don't exactly want to ruffle feathers". Thanks for giving me input on e6s because I think I going to be working with a passionate, anxious 6w7 XXFP type. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
haha, not romantic ones, persay... I just got in the middle of several toxic dynamics. Now that I think about it, my disintegration was very much "I give up on life. I don't know what I am supposed to do or supposed to be. Hear me out NOW but I don't exactly want to ruffle feathers". Thanks for giving me input on e6s because I think I going to be working with a passionate, anxious 6w7 XXFP type. :)

Hmm. 3s disintegrate at 9, and the downside of 9 is essentially giving up and even at healthier stages they don't especially want to rock the boat. I don't know you might want to consider 3 or 9. Or maybe even 5w6, because 5 is a withdrawn type, and you could have a 6 wing.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. 3s disintegrate at 9, and the downside of 9 is essentially giving up and even at healthier stages they don't especially want to rock the boat. I don't know you might want to consider 3 or 9. Or maybe even 5w6, because 5 is a withdrawn type, and you could have a 6 wing.

Whoa you're good. You pretty much pinned down my tritype.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You basically layer the bad aspects of the disintegration point, and mix them together with your type. You don't "become" like your disentegration point, but simply mirror it.

In my case, when I am disintegrated to E4, I will more frequently become more condemning, harsh, and rigid with other people and have no tolerance for deviance of any kind. In order to stop it, I will somehow "create" objective facts that have started from personal opinion. The latter of which comes from E4. This is done because for an E1 anything that even smells like it's source is personal and from the self is NOT ok, so the most convoluted or twisted logic will emerge to prevent the individual from even realizing it's the case. Another thing E1's who have heavily disentegrated will attempt to do is steal or block the voice of personal opinions of others. This is something E4's would never strive to do, but when it's mixed in with E1 that's exactly what it becomes. Another common theme for E4 disintegration is being immensely self critical, self punishing, and self restrictive. Often, it will be completely lost on the E1 the extent that this is being done, or even done at all.

Looking at integration/disintegration points is IMO one of the biggest key's to figuring out ones enneatype. I have a lot of qualities of 3 (not obvious to others) and 6 (obvious to others) that can and do lead people wondering if that's my true type. Nevertheless, I neither evolve, nor devolve to E9 (I don't relate to E9 even slightly, and becoming E9-like would be profoundly counter-productive for me). However, I do evolve to E7 (occasionally toxicly- it's possible for someone to integrate poorly), and dissolve to E4, which clinches it.
That was all quite interesting. How does one integrate poorly?

á´…eparted

passages
That was all quite interesting. How does one integrate poorly?

Basically doing those sorts of things without your foundation/backing.

In my case, this would be through the shirking of responsibilities to have fun "because I need to treat myself, I have worked hard and deserve it!", and then proceed to get completely trashed, or fucked up on drugs, or not go to sleep until super late, at the expense for things that need to get done. This isn't common, but the notion of integreating to 7 as an escape (in particular from disentegrated E4 like problems), as opposed to positive development. I am quite capable of letting go, cutting lose, and taking on good 7 qualities when healthy, but it's only healthy when it's supported by all my E1 stuff. If I don't support it with that, it's unhealthy and causes further disintegration.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w8: I turn into a mean ball of seething, condescending ball of repressed anger and moral indignation under stress. for the most part, I kind of just lock myself in my room during those times because I know I can come off ridiculously harsh and aggressive and don't want to subject other people to that.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
After reading what Hard said I wouldn't be surprised if I unhealthy integrated into a 9 before. I say this because because I'll go from being extremely anxious about something to being apathetic, lazy, and avoidance of problems. It feels nice to be in that state, but it's extremely unproductive.

KitchenFly

I have been thinking about the question How dose extreme stress affect enneagram?

I think extreme stress can take one of eight paths. The eight paths can be divided in to two category's positive extreme stress and negative extreme stress.

A ninth is the transformative state a Bias free personal state (Stress - Trance-Ended) stress transformed to its optimum natural productive state aligned with. The Workings Of The Law Of Three.

A curious thought is, how closely aligned is the big five with this dynamic. I have not thought about this basically because I have not taken a real interest in the big five, but if the big five.

The eight parts relate to three Points for all eighteen basic personality types. The Point Energy and the the two wings. The Point energy is the passive and true neutral (the ninth) and the eight pertain to mood and agenda mood and agenda both positive and negative four actions for each of the two relating subtype energies working with each of the nine points of the enneagram.

E.g. For the two type nines the structure has one neutral or passive the passive is when one of the eight options are active the neutral becomes active but remains neutral when selfs Presence Is Aware Of The Greater (Host) greater nature in the context of of having actively made the law of three happen within in the moment, this what is meant by an active neutral. It remains neutral because the self always remains passive unto greater nature Host is indomitable. Active is passive passive is neutral in my language. The ninth option is experiential and only understood if it has been experienced by self as the observer.

The eight is a simple structure. Two Sets Of Four, mood and agenda and mood and agenda In the positive mode and negative mode.

The example 9w8 and 9w1

For the 9w8 Point eight is agenda and Point one is mood when Self has located more of the essential self the Point:9 becomes the deeper implicate of Self as actualised. The first step towards reclaimed authentic hole Self as nine points equally active, at one with what is. The what is is what hosts greater nature Universe Alive and Self Aware.

For the 9w1 Point one is agenda and Point eight is mood, The first step towards reclaimed authentic hole Self as nine points equally active, at one with what is. The what is is what hosts greater nature Universe Alive and Self Aware.

So as you can understand know there are Nine components one is an authentic low stress option there for there are nine low stress components within this structure that are receptive states unto witnessing Host in its non benign state detectable naturally via perception active observation.

90 + 180 = 270 , 90 short of 360.

A zero a seven a two "host". "Man" a zero a six a three.

Last edited:

ARET45

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
When under stress, an E-type will often move to the point of disintegration. They may also rely heavily on the prominent wing... But more often moving to the disintegration point, I have found to be true in many or most cases.