• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Meyers Briggs Tests and The Enneagram – A Strong Correlation

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took the enneagram test again after viewing this research...very detailed, thorough job, btw :)

Suddenly I am testing 4w3 instead of 3w4.

I used a more detailed test this time and maybe that is making the difference.:huh:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I took the enneagram test again after viewing this research...very detailed, thorough job, btw :)

Suddenly I am testing 4w3 instead of 3w4.

I used a more detailed test this time and maybe that is making the difference.:huh:

Tests shouldn't be taken too seriously. They are here to point you from where to start researching but they are hardly the final word on the topic.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I took the enneagram test again after viewing this research...very detailed, thorough job, btw :) Suddenly I am testing 4w3 instead of 3w4. I used a more detailed test this time and maybe that is making the difference.:huh:
It still means something. But it isn't clear yet, some room for confusion. Next step I'd say is just to read both and see which you feel to be more identifiable. If both, perhaps both is part of you. Heh..
Anyway on topic.
Mine is 5w4 (very identifiable), 3w4 (very identifiable), the latter part I'm not sure yet.. I've gotten 7, 8, and possible 4 as prevalent before. I'll have to check again since I only looked into the first two that really hit.

I believe this theory has some great merit. Even if my 5 and 3 types are both introverted and extroverted individually I sway between the two. Had extreme schizoid tendencies, modes I shift into when in a bad state, but still need to converse with at least a few people, and have a love of much knowledge. But otherwise I'm ambitious, visionary, and competitive with things important to me that I self identify with. This as a whole makes me seem pretty ambiverted.

narcissistic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the population from PersonalityCafe: 04/28/2017

From this:
This is what the average tritype looks like for every type:
ISTJ: 1-6-4
ISFJ: 6-9-2
ISTP: 5-8-3
ISFP: 9-4-6
INTJ: 5-1-4
INFJ: 4-5-9
INFP: 4-9-5
INTP: 5-9-4
ESTJ: 8-3-6
ESFJ: 2-9-6
ESTP: 7-8-3
ESFP: 7-2-8
ENTJ: 8-3-5
ENTP: 7-8-4
ENFJ: 2-6-1
ENFP: 7-4-9

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What MBTI is most likely to be 2w1?

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Data is mostly useless because so many people mistype. ESFJs are mostly 6w7s not 2s, ESTJs are mostly 6w7s not 8s, ISTJs are mostly 6w5s not 1s, ISFPs are mostly 9s not 4s and INFJs are probably mostly 1s not 4s.

- - - Updated - - -

What MBTI is most likely to be 2w1?

ESFJ but most ESFJs are 6w7s like I said above.

Last edited:

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tests generally are not reliable. I am pretty sure tests have given me every single Enneagram type before (except 8 and 2). Off the top of my head, I have definitely gotten 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9. Same goes with MBTI (I have tested as INFJ, INFP, ENFP, ENFJ, ENTP, a rogue ISTJ result, (and probably more) most commonly I get INFJ or INFP even though I'm an ENFP. I tend to get J results as I don't act like a stereotypical perceiver and I tend to get I results as my E/I distinction is very narrow and blurry.

I am an ENFP 6w7. I've encountered ENFP 6s before. But I think that ENFPs are more likely to be other types first.

There are interesting combinations out there. A lot of people associate 2 with Fe for example, but a lot of ESFJs are 6s (although one of my best friends is an ESFJ 2w1 sx/sp).

I have another friend who is an ISFP and a 9w1. This is pretty common, but I really thought she was a 1w9 at first. But she described how her actions in our younger years when we first met in our early teen were pretty much textbook unhealthy 9 behavior, and it dawned on me. ISFPs use Fi, which is thought to correlate to type 4 yet a lot of them are not 4s.

I'm pretty sure one of my roommates is an ENTP 2. She types herself as an INFP and a type 2. The type 2 fits really well. But the INFP typing just doesn't fit her. I suspect she thinks she is a feeler because she tends to rely a lot on her tertiary Fe (which combines with her being a 2) and isn't looking deep enough into cognitive functions. She apparently also hasn't realized how different she blatantly is from two of my closest friends at school who are INFPs in terms of disposition and thought process. I actually thought she was a type 8 at first. But 2s under stress look like 8s, so this makes sense (I have two friends who are 2s that when stressed really seem like they are type 8). I just let the whole issue of mistyping go, frankly, it isn't worth debating over. The other of my roommates seems to be an ESFP 7w6 so/sx.

Technically, Ennegram and MBTI are separate systems. So I guess any combination is theoretically possible. But there are bound to be less common combos.

brennabeloved

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an INFJ (last time I took the test) and have been back and forth on weather I'm a 1 or 4. I think think it's interesting that most 4s are INFJ, because I remember hearing that INFJ was the most rare Myers Briggs type which makes sense for the 4. However, since I thought I was a 4 for most of this year and am recently coming to see how I'm actually just a 1 in stress, I wonder how many of the other 4s on this site are in a similar situation.

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
I think the correlations show a big problem with Enneagram that the typing gets corrupted by MBTI type and particular characteristics of given MBTI type or group of types override the results of core motivations.

For example type 1 description is corrupted by being based on SJ types.

4 is just a bag where FP types get thrown in because they of feelings.

I used to think I'm a 4 for like a decade before I discovered core motivations of types.

rav3n

Lovin' the numbers. They evidence significant correlation between Enneagram and MBTI types.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So if I am actually typed correctly this time now with combo INTP and 7, I am in the 1%. I wasn't expecting it to be that low. Almost as low as INTP 2s which looks like pretty much don't exist.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So if I am actually typed correctly this time now with combo INTP and 7, I am in the 1%. I wasn't expecting it to be that low. Almost as low as INTP 2s which looks like pretty much don't exist.

It is pretty low, but quite honestly in terms of actually test results, the traditional INTP "archetype" has a heavy skew to 5 purely due to the overlap between Ti and 5 descriptions. I'd imagine if test results were more accurately distributed, INTP 7 would probably be a little bit more common (as the Ti dom types by theory alone seem to lean towards the head types; I'd imagine it's probably still pretty low, but maybe 5x that of type 2 in reality at least).

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice data! I am shocked that there are not more XNFJ 1s. But, the data doesn't lie.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the correlations show a big problem with Enneagram that the typing gets corrupted by MBTI type and particular characteristics of given MBTI type or group of types override the results of core motivations. For example type 1 description is corrupted by being based on SJ types. 4 is just a bag where FP types get thrown in because they of feelings. I used to think I'm a 4 for like a decade before I discovered core motivations of types.
I can see how Type 1 descriptions seem like they describe XSXJ types, particularly XSTJs. Same with type 4s and XXFP types. There are many stereotypes on the different enneagram types.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice data! I am shocked that there are not more XNFJ 1s. But, the data doesn't lie.

Except that this assumes people have given correct data on their types. That's assuming a lot.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The facts are the facts. Yes, the data sources on MBTI and Enneagram correlations vary. There is a lack of standardization with the data, so there will be a few differences.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Data is mostly useless because so many people mistype. ESFJs are mostly 6w7s not 2s, ESTJs are mostly 6w7s not 8s, ISTJs are mostly 6w5s not 1s, ISFPs are mostly 9s not 4s and INFJs are probably mostly 1s not 4s. - - - Updated - - - ESFJ but most ESFJs are 6w7s like I said above.

Where is your evidence?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The facts are the facts. Yes, the data sources on MBTI and Enneagram correlations vary. There is a lack of standardization with the data, so there will be a few differences.

I'm not sure whether you understood what I meant or not, so to clarify, I mean that many people mistype themselves at one point or another. So just taking whatever type someone has listed as the actual type they may not be accurate.