• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Meyers Briggs Tests and The Enneagram – A Strong Correlation

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTP are NOT mostly type 8. If you look again you will see that they are mostly type 7.

No, but it was a common typing which he mentioned.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the main problem isn't the sample size (at least for many types), but rather the self-selection bias. The data we have describes people who participate (or at least register) on a typology forum. But I agree it's thought provoking.
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], could you also post the count for each MBTI + enneagram type? It would be interesting to see which combos are the most populous. Another interesting piece of data would be post counts per MBTI + enneagram type (or average post count for each MBTI + enneagram type). That would give one an idea of what the mix of content looks like, rather than the mix of registered users.

The raw data for TypologyCentral is here in this post. To normalize it, I multiplied each of the individual numbers in the table x the CPP % divided by the Actual Forum Percentage.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] that's right...you DID suggest that I might be a 9w8. Thank you.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The raw data for TypologyCentral is here in this post. To normalize it, I multiplied each of the individual numbers in the table x the CPP % divided by the Actual Forum Percentage.

I was hoping the data in some form where one wouldn't have to retype a bazillion* tiny numbers again oneself (like CSV or Excel or something). I'm also still interested in getting posts per "box," as well (since I think it would be interesting to know what the typical post ratio would be). It would also be interesting to see how that data changes over time (although then we are getting into larger data sets).

* = not an accurate estimate

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was hoping the data in some form where one wouldn't have to retype a bazillion* tiny numbers again oneself (like CSV or Excel or something). I'm also still interested in getting posts per "box," as well (since I think it would be interesting to know what the typical post ratio would be). It would also be interesting to see how that data changes over time (although then we are getting into larger data sets).

You mean when people change their types in either MBTI or Enneagram or both? That would be interesting and valuable; unfortunately it would be hard to obtain.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You mean when people change their types in either MBTI or Enneagram or both? That would be interesting and valuable; unfortunately it would be hard to obtain.

That would be interesting data (that would require historical snapshots that might not exist), too, but I was more thinking using the current types of profiles to determine the posts ratio (by MBTI+etype) every month, for example.

Holy

until you're fully grown
MBTI Type
PURE
i don't have a ton to add here but, this was interesting so, thanks.
it took me a long time to actually be certain of my mbti type.
figuring out my enneagram was a much smoother process.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is great! It looks pretty accurate too. I would have thought more INTJs would be 3 though. It's also hard for me to get used to ENTPs being 8, but I guess the data doesn't lie. Unless the data providers are mistaken.

ENTP are NOT mostly type 8. If you look again you will see that they are mostly type 7.

Actually, the stats were inconsistent across the two forums on Enneagram 8s. TypoC seemed to have a lot more 8s in general. The PersC stats tell a slightly different story on frequency of ENTP 8. I'm revising some of the conclusions.

If anyone is interested, I am continuing to evolve this in the Wiki with more charts and graphs.

Enneagram and MBTI Correlation - Typology Wiki

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spent a few minutes mapping the Temperaments to the Enneagram Types. Definitely some patterns there.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, Highlander.

I thought the enneagram type by preference data was interesting (using typoc numbers below):

Most extraverted: 3 (92%), 7 (91%), 8 (86%)
Most introverted: 5 (88%), 6 (73%), 4 & 9 (72%) [Surprised the e6 beat out e4... even by a smidgen.]

Most sensing: 6 (89%), 1 (88%), 2 & 9 (83%)
Most intuitive: 4 (49%), 7 (45%), 5 (41%) [Interesting the e4 is the most intuitive... and that e7 ranks so high, although the idea-producing part makes sense.]

Most thinking: 8 (89%), 5 (80%), 1 (79%) [Not a huge shock, although would be interesting to see the the big five not "agreeable" stats.]
Most feeling: 2 (97%), 4 (91%), 9 (84%)

Most judging: 1 (93%), 2 (80%), 6 (72%) [Interesting that e2 ranks so high, although considering the nature of F+J makes some sense.]
Most perceiving: 7 (97%), 4 (70%), 9 (61%) [e5 is fourth.]

Interesting that there is still some wiggle room for most types; there appear to be only two cases where there is less than 5% chance to not fit the mold: e7=P & e2=F.

(I eyeballed the above, so there's plenty of room for errors... let me know and I'll correct them.)

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i trust data completely. i trust it with my life.

if i could find the person who commented on overlapping archetypes, i would like and rep them but i can't.

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks, [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] for all the work in putting this together.
I love the different views and ways of parsing the data.
With a much smaller sample, I was seeing seeing similar patterns which I posted in the thread about my test.

The whole mistyping thing is interesting, and I agree not to worry much about it.
The big hurdle I found myself dealing with while creating a test was that it was self-reporting.
There are a number of reasons people may not be able to accurately self-report, but it's the best thing we have to work with.
In the end, I worked hard to find distinctions that I thought people could more accurately self-report about.
For example, common emotional states seems more reliable than deeper motivations or fears, and generally people are more honest about positive traits than negative ones.
So, yeah, we get the data we get (no matter how it's collected) ... and it's still interesting to look at :)

Thanks, again!

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thinking about this a little more (yes, I'm a 5!), I had the following ideas and would love to see what others thought along these lines.
What are the values of finding correlations between personality systems?

The value of correlations is not in prediction. (i.e. I am an INTJ therefore I am probably a 5.) The percentages of people NOT in any combination is large enough to rule out something that formulaic. That said, for someone having trouble typing themselves in one system or the other, it might be helpful to review the correlating types to see if the fit or not - just as a narrowing down strategy. Guideline and helpful, yes. Predictive, no.

There is some value in how one system may add nuance to our understanding of the other through correlations. These generalized nuances can be drawn out with questions like, "Why are 4's highly likely to be I or F?" or "Why are 1's likely to be SJ?" This kind of thinking brings the value of one system to the other. Since (in a simplified way) I see the Enneagram as being more about "how one thinks the world works" and the Jungian Types are more about "how one processes", each can add insight to the other.

But most of all I see strong correlations as a kind of validation of both theories of personality. Especially when similar correlations are found in different populations. If either theory was weak I'd expect a more random/ even distribution. Correlations seem to support the idea that personalities are somewhat internally consistent and describable. And these decernible patterns are the very value of personality systems. Rather than knowing ourselves or a person from only experienced data, we can see patterns and know more about ourselves and others. This is particularly important for getting around our own blind spots, which by definition are hard for us to see and acknowledge.

Your thoughts?

Lsjnzy13

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
IDK
I feel like I'm impossible! I'm literally the stereotypical INFP but I CANNOT relate to type 4 at all! Every time I do the enneagram test the results are always either 9w1, 2w1, 6w7, or 7w6. 4w5 is nothing like me!

I guess enneagram sort of correlates with cognitive functions more than MBTI? Cos despite being INFP I do not nave a pronounced Fi. My dominant functions are actually Ne and Fe.

I also have an INTJ friend whose enneagram is actually 1w2. According to the chart up there there are no type two INTJs?

á´…eparted

passages
I feel like I'm impossible! I'm literally the stereotypical INFP but I CANNOT relate to type 4 at all! Every time I do the enneagram test the results are always either 9w1, 2w1, 6w7, or 7w6. 4w5 is nothing like me!

I guess enneagram sort of correlates with cognitive functions more than MBTI? Cos despite being INFP I do not nave a pronounced Fi. My dominant functions are actually Ne and Fe.

I also have an INTJ friend whose enneagram is actually 1w2. According to the chart up there there are no type two INTJs?

There's actually quite a few INFP 9's here. While INFP is often associated with 4, doesn't mean the individual will be. Functions and enneagrams can manifest in various different ways.

All type combinations are possible, just some are more common than others. Just because the data here shows 0 for a given combination doesn't mean there won't ever be.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Enneagram has a lot to do with family, childhood, and formative experiences.

A 1w2 INTJ isn't a 2.

Also, are you sure you are an INFP? While there is some similarity to Fe users, an INFP should be primarily Fi. A Ne Fe user would be a ENTP or a SFJ...

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Actually, the top 3 enneagram types for INFPs on the forum are 4, 9, and 5 according to this thread.