• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The 9w1 versus the 9w8

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The noticeable trait about 9w8 and 9w1 is their growth wing. 8 grows into 2. 1 grows into 7. There is a huge differences due to the wings.

Huh?

I don't relate to 2 at all. I do have elements of 7 that work for me though.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't care about being bad but I'm ENTP and thinkers usually don't have those feeler worries. If it means incompetence then no, it doesn't matter much to me and not NEARLY as much as being a wimp/in someone's control bothers me. Even when people try to help me, I hate being told what to do.

Please elaborate on inward and outward rage. When I'm angry I go "fuck this guy, he doesn't understand what to do. Fuck my boss, he's a controlling shit that needs to die" etc. I don't blame myself ever. But sometimes I can be a bit insecure and wonder if I did something wrong. Like "why does this always happen to me? Ugh, wtf do I do wrong"

It's not that w8s or 8s can't take blame, it's about vulnerability and protecting oneself imo, not giving over power to others; it could be abused if it was. Questioning if you're wrong is normal, if you are worried about revealing that to others then question why.

Internal v external focus for 1 v 8 as I see it is about the motivators of the type, 8s are concerned with power, who has it, who may abuse it, they put attention towards protecting themselves and others, they prefer to have the power themselves. While 1s are more concerned with monitoring themselves, not making mistakes, being consistent to their values, they are focused on what they should do, what is right. One is primarily directed outwards monitoring others, the other is inward. This shows in how the anger manifests also.

But I blame others always. Being wrong is okay lol, there's a next time for being right. Being controlled, especially in a hostile situation makes you a bitch

Cause when you're wrong your only judge is yourself and I'm not hard on myself, ever. I'm self preservative and looking out for my best interest, but when you're in other people's control it's just hostile and gets on my nerves

That sounds much more w8 than w1 to me.

Duffy

Aren't comfort seeking 9w8s also nitpicky about comfort?

No. Comfort seeking, yes. Nitpicky not so much. Nitpicky means to to criticize unnecessarily the little things. To criticize is to find fault, implying a right and wrong way. There's a superego quality here (wing 1). 9w8s are more grounded in contrast and don't feel a need to "social justice warrior" every little thing. Enneagram 8 is also part of the "power" triad, so it doesn't make sense for them to whine about things that bother them (they are doers/assertive types). That's probably why you don't see many 8s on forums. They don't have the patience to deal with the tediousness of online interaction. In short, to whine and complain is to relinquish power (antithetical to 8s) because by doing so, you are essentially handing over your livelihood (claiming a victim). It's what 5s and 8s have in common as "power" types.

Tomb1

9w8s have an easier time believing that they can prevail over others. 9w1s have an easier time believing that they can't....they're slower to start but harder to beat once they get their butt in gear.

pearslug

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I find that this description really nails it from my perspective (as a 9w1) but I don't know if you 9w8s can relate to your part? (lemme know :p)

"9w8 is about calmness(nine) from a position of strength(eight). They choose to be calm as opposed to feeling they have to maintain being calm to avoid conflict or estrangement like a 9w1. They don't invite conflict but don't shy away from it either as they nip conflict in the bud as quickly as possible. They are the most "chill" of the instinctive triaders. They have the best balance in their personal boundaries as they are halfway in between being a doormat and dominating others. This is why they are generally the most likeable of all subtypes.

9w8 is called the "comfort-seeker" and wants to make life easier for themselves. They are firmly grounded in their bodies with an emphasis on being physically comfortable. Hardly anything bothers them. They aren't nearly as hard on themselves as 9w1s. They are easygoing but can be direct with others if forced out of their comfort zone as they are much more assertive than their 9w1 siblings. While they have a bias towards letting things work out on their own they have no problem stepping in and settling things.

9w8s have an ego in being grounded in reality. They pride themselves in being simple regular people. They take pleasure in noticing when there isn't any point to discussing something, often to the extent of exhibiting a "who cares" apathy. Asserting their self-importance certainly falls in that category. While they are realistic about themselves they have a tendency to be underestimated by others. Like eights they play down and trivialize what's not worth dwelling on as "no big deal". Not getting what they want is also declared "no big deal" and therefore not that important. They tend to be attracted to the outdoors and other physical activities. They mainly fear permanently losing loved ones.

9w8s are more genial and practical. They are significantly less withdrawn than 9w1s. Although they are less intuitive than 9w1s, they have a natural sense of rhythm for the ebb and flow of things around them. They have an ability to make anyone like them even when they are being irreverent and mischevious. They have an "it's all good" attitude as nothing appears to bother them. In response to a prank they might go "nice one" whereas a 9w1 would initially seem dazed and taken aback before saying it's alright. 9w8s have an overt(eight) haze(nine) in comparison to the more repressed(one) haze(nine) of 9w1s. Like all 9s they have trouble expressing anger directly and become less focused when they do. Their 8 wing though makes them more able to blow off steam by expressing anger physically at least, like throwing stuff in fustration.

9w1 is about keeping their inner peace(nine) intact(one). They avoid conflict externally and the reality of that conflict internally. They see conflict as an endless web of which any path could lead to estrangement so they hold their anger inside. They suppress their rough edges and conceal disagreeableness to seem accomodating. They have trouble saying no gracefully: "what do you mean?"..."answer to what?"..."I'm flattered you asked but I'll have to think about that as I have something else I gotta do"..."me participating would likely make no difference so you'd be better off asking someone else". They may also feel emotionally unsafe wanting something that's counter to the wants of the people around them. They'll either be wishy-washy and try to change the subject or find a way to go along while feeling they were sucked in. Basically they trade their comfort for others' comfort and hope and assume that by ignoring conflict they will maintain their emotional tranquility. To a 9w1 hope and assume are often close enough to be interchangeable. If they are in a safe and comfortable enviornment they can better explore disagreement.

9w1s are sensitive and self-effacing as well as gentle and loving. While they have issues with expressing anger they can also feel crippled with anxiety. They suppress or ignore their wants due to fear. They "cocoon" under stress and their "positive outlook" is a defense against a deep-seated belief of an inability to have an influence or impact. The delayed anger responses from 9w1s result from an excessive buildup of intense long-term anxiety that never got dealt with. They are much harder on themselves than 9w8s. They are very sensitive to criticism because they take it as a judgement on them as people. This is why praise can have such a positive effect on them. The key is to try to relieve their anxiety directly and then anger issues will resolve themselves.

9w1s have an "ego in having no ego", as opposed to the 9w8 ego in being able to be apathetic to what's pointless. They can be unusually intuitive and cerebral as well as creative and fantastical. They have a knack for synthesizing various theories and viewpoints. Sometimes they can seem like 4s and 5s except they idealize "flow" and don't take things to the same extremes. It's tough to narrow down the possibilities and discriminate the way they see everything as interconnected. They feel ambivalent and out of touch with what their instincts tell them. They repress and ignore negative urges in themselves but get fustrated with those who disturb the peace. In response to being disturbed themselves they might initially be taken aback or dazed and then say everything is okay.

9w1s are high-minded types who idealize peace, harmony, healing, and union with others. They mainly fear being seperated from loved ones and on some level they feel like they don't matter as a distinctly seperate person. "United we stand divided we fall" resonates with them because on a deeper level seperation is equivalent to annihilation. They dream about formlessness as the perfect reality, where one is freed from struggles of the ego and anything else that detracts from fluidity. They feel drawn to being connected with the vastness and beauty of nature and are attracted to things like large bodies of water and celestial entities in the sky. The Way of the Tao is very 9w1, as are other eastern philosophies that aspire to a formless and egoless nirvana. "The answer will come to you in time my son" wiseman archetype is also very 9w1. In such a reality unnecessary details, pain, and anxiety are either drowned out or work themselves out on their own."

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find that this description really nails it from my perspective (as a 9w1) but I don't know if you 9w8s can relate to your part? (lemme know :p)

"9w8 is about calmness(nine) from a position of strength(eight). They choose to be calm as opposed to feeling they have to maintain being calm to avoid conflict or estrangement like a 9w1. They don't invite conflict but don't shy away from it either as they nip conflict in the bud as quickly as possible. They are the most "chill" of the instinctive triaders. They have the best balance in their personal boundaries as they are halfway in between being a doormat and dominating others. This is why they are generally the most likeable of all subtypes.

9w8 is called the "comfort-seeker" and wants to make life easier for themselves. They are firmly grounded in their bodies with an emphasis on being physically comfortable. Hardly anything bothers them. They aren't nearly as hard on themselves as 9w1s. They are easygoing but can be direct with others if forced out of their comfort zone as they are much more assertive than their 9w1 siblings. While they have a bias towards letting things work out on their own they have no problem stepping in and settling things.

9w8s have an ego in being grounded in reality. They pride themselves in being simple regular people. They take pleasure in noticing when there isn't any point to discussing something, often to the extent of exhibiting a "who cares" apathy. Asserting their self-importance certainly falls in that category. While they are realistic about themselves they have a tendency to be underestimated by others. Like eights they play down and trivialize what's not worth dwelling on as "no big deal". Not getting what they want is also declared "no big deal" and therefore not that important. They tend to be attracted to the outdoors and other physical activities. They mainly fear permanently losing loved ones.

9w8s are more genial and practical. They are significantly less withdrawn than 9w1s. Although they are less intuitive than 9w1s, they have a natural sense of rhythm for the ebb and flow of things around them. They have an ability to make anyone like them even when they are being irreverent and mischevious. They have an "it's all good" attitude as nothing appears to bother them. In response to a prank they might go "nice one" whereas a 9w1 would initially seem dazed and taken aback before saying it's alright. 9w8s have an overt(eight) haze(nine) in comparison to the more repressed(one) haze(nine) of 9w1s. Like all 9s they have trouble expressing anger directly and become less focused when they do. Their 8 wing though makes them more able to blow off steam by expressing anger physically at least, like throwing stuff in fustration.

9w1 is about keeping their inner peace(nine) intact(one). They avoid conflict externally and the reality of that conflict internally. They see conflict as an endless web of which any path could lead to estrangement so they hold their anger inside. They suppress their rough edges and conceal disagreeableness to seem accomodating. They have trouble saying no gracefully: "what do you mean?"..."answer to what?"..."I'm flattered you asked but I'll have to think about that as I have something else I gotta do"..."me participating would likely make no difference so you'd be better off asking someone else". They may also feel emotionally unsafe wanting something that's counter to the wants of the people around them. They'll either be wishy-washy and try to change the subject or find a way to go along while feeling they were sucked in. Basically they trade their comfort for others' comfort and hope and assume that by ignoring conflict they will maintain their emotional tranquility. To a 9w1 hope and assume are often close enough to be interchangeable. If they are in a safe and comfortable enviornment they can better explore disagreement.

9w1s are sensitive and self-effacing as well as gentle and loving. While they have issues with expressing anger they can also feel crippled with anxiety. They suppress or ignore their wants due to fear. They "cocoon" under stress and their "positive outlook" is a defense against a deep-seated belief of an inability to have an influence or impact. The delayed anger responses from 9w1s result from an excessive buildup of intense long-term anxiety that never got dealt with. They are much harder on themselves than 9w8s. They are very sensitive to criticism because they take it as a judgement on them as people. This is why praise can have such a positive effect on them. The key is to try to relieve their anxiety directly and then anger issues will resolve themselves.

9w1s have an "ego in having no ego", as opposed to the 9w8 ego in being able to be apathetic to what's pointless. They can be unusually intuitive and cerebral as well as creative and fantastical. They have a knack for synthesizing various theories and viewpoints. Sometimes they can seem like 4s and 5s except they idealize "flow" and don't take things to the same extremes. It's tough to narrow down the possibilities and discriminate the way they see everything as interconnected. They feel ambivalent and out of touch with what their instincts tell them. They repress and ignore negative urges in themselves but get fustrated with those who disturb the peace. In response to being disturbed themselves they might initially be taken aback or dazed and then say everything is okay.

9w1s are high-minded types who idealize peace, harmony, healing, and union with others. They mainly fear being seperated from loved ones and on some level they feel like they don't matter as a distinctly seperate person. "United we stand divided we fall" resonates with them because on a deeper level seperation is equivalent to annihilation. They dream about formlessness as the perfect reality, where one is freed from struggles of the ego and anything else that detracts from fluidity. They feel drawn to being connected with the vastness and beauty of nature and are attracted to things like large bodies of water and celestial entities in the sky. The Way of the Tao is very 9w1, as are other eastern philosophies that aspire to a formless and egoless nirvana. "The answer will come to you in time my son" wiseman archetype is also very 9w1. In such a reality unnecessary details, pain, and anxiety are either drowned out or work themselves out on their own."

... Wow. That was beautiful. :wubbie:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know if you 9w8s can relate to your part? (lemme know :p)

For the most part I do.

Like this part the most: "they are halfway in between being a doormat and dominating others", too true for me, I'm an apathetic power freak.

wolfy

awsm

Yeah, I can relate to all of that.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Besides throwing stuff in frustration (but he does other, physical things that accomplishes the same), I would agree that my 9w8 is much like this.

wolfy

awsm
Besides throwing stuff in frustration (but he does other, physical things that accomplishes the same), I would agree that my 9w8 is much like this.

Oh, I skipped that last part. I don't throw stuff. I burn off aggression physically though. But throwing always seems so... childish.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Think of 9w8 as ninjas, quiet peaceful and pretty reserved like Hayabusa from the dead or alive frachise
9w1s are like priest, kind of like yoda from starwars

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i just now changed my type to 9w1 but we wear the ost unremarkable clothing we can find?? hmm...where did this come from?

I have no idea of the credibility or location of the source material. I believe I encountered later on an enneagram site, which is the likely source, but which one.....IDK.... the 9w8 physical description fits me, as does the healthy levels....

I forgot that a fully developed 9w8 gets 2 traits as well as 3 traits.... maybe one day I can match tge description there....

the link said:
Highly integrated 9/8 carries both the goodness and generosity of two and the deep self-actualization of three, without any trace of pride or vanity. People feel positively uplifted in the presence of such completely humble, giving, magnificent, fully self-created beings. Somehow just being in the presence of such a person can generate tremendous confidence and healthy self-regard. It is not what they do, it's how they are. They simply are without trying to be anything in particular. The utter naturalness is astounding.

Wow, that sounds nice....on good days I can see glimmers of that in me......

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've made two lists of the differences between the two other than simply implying that 9w1s are dull and 9w8s are wild.
33748800_2098508677060908_7436492241004134400_n.jpg 33768745_2098511863727256_3085622952054489088_n.jpg

Last edited:

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION], this is great.

I have two kids, a 9w1 and a 9w8 (I know, weird. I can't help but think it's a result of having a 4 & 6 as parents- someone needs to mellow the reactivity) and you highlight the differences well.

Something else I've noticed is just how they kind of take up space/exist- the 9w1 is more deer-like while the 9w8 is more like a black bear.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=24618]misfortuneteller[/MENTION], this is great.

Thank you.

Something else I've noticed is just how they kind of take up space/exist- the 9w1 is more deer-like while the 9w8 is more like a black bear.

I often feel like I take too much space in the 9 group on FB which is filled with 9w1s. I feel like a intense bear among a bunch of cute deers, lol. I also kinda feel impure around a lot of them since 8s and 8 wingers have lost innocence.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're still struggling on which wing you are.

9w1 - The Reforming Peacemaker
Seeks to be tranquil+pure.
Vices: sloth+wrath.
Fixations: indolence+resentment.
Defence Mechanisms: narcotization+reaction formation.
Stress Mode: 6w4 (the misunderstood fear monger)
A withdrawn type with a complaint wing.

''The personality types corresponding to Karen Horney’s Compliant strategy are the One, Two and Six. These types are generally industrious, principled and conscientious. It’s worth mentioning here that the word compliant doesn’t necessarily mean that these types are compliant to those around them, but rather to their over-developed superegos. Each of these types responds to problems, threats and obstacles by conforming to an internalized set of rules, ideals or codes of conduct. In other words, they feel there is no free lunch and put a significant amount of pressure on themselves to measure up. They feel they must earn the right to have their needs met and these needs are defined by the Triad they fall into: One is in the Belly Triad meaning they will attempt to earn their right to autonomy and self-governance through being above reproach; Two is in the Heart Triad meaning that they will attempt to earn their right to recognition and value through being good, likable, and indispensable to others; and Six is in the Head Triad meaning they will attempt to earn their right to stability and security through vigilance and following (or defying) the rules. All three types feel their sense of self most keenly when they’re moving toward others and/or the flow of life. For the Compliant types, the affect is “I get what I need by being cooperative and dutiful to my ideals.”

9w8 - The Challenging Peacemaker
Seeks to be tranquil+invulnerable.
Vices: sloth+lust.
Fixations: indolence+vengeance.
Defence Mechanisms: narcotization+denial.
Stress mode: 6w5 (the cerebral fear monger)
A withdrawn type with an aggressive wing.

The personality types corresponding to Karen Horney’s Aggressive strategy are the Three, Seven and Eight. All three are generally bold and energetic and respond to problems, threats and obstacles by expanding and reinforcing egoic boundaries. In other words, they see the world as offering up that which they need and their personal philosophy tends to be that the best things come to those who actively go after them. Therefore, they will assert themselves and demand that their needs be met. These needs are defined by the Triad they fall into: Three is in the Heart Triad meaning that they will be ambitious and compete for recognition and value; Seven is in the Head Triad meaning there will be some confusion around what is truly a need and what is a want, but whatever the case, they will urgently pursue them so as to avoid the anxiety of not getting their needs met; and Eight is in the Belly Triad meaning they will invoke boundaries to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property as well as to enforce their autonomy and personal will. All three types feel their sense of self most keenly when they’re moving against others, and sometimes even the flow of life. For the Aggressive types, the affect is “life will not go the way I want it to unless I apply my will and make it happen.

Last edited:

saskiazaaza

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's 9w1 , is like my ISFJ male friend and my sis too. They are withdrawn but secretly critical. And , they are more repress their anger too. They're 9w1 leading tbh.
I thought , I was 9w1 coz I'm withdraw too and avoid the conflict too. But , I show my expression like anger freely. 9w8 is my fixed tritype too.
But , we don't like conflict hahahaha.