• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Questions- Enneagram confusion

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm back with more questions and confusion. Surprise! Not. I actually have specific questions about the theory though this time.

The more I read and think about Enneagram and what my type is the more confused I become. I'm still leaning toward 9 but I'm not sure because not everything adds up.

1) I keep reading in the book I have about how 9s have trouble taking a "position". Is this also in regard to having opinions and beliefs and defending them? Because I have a lot of these and have never been shy about defending them.

2) Can a 6 be phobic at times and counterphobic at other times? Like flip-flop?

3) Could there be a counterphobic 9 or is it just 6s and 8s?

4) Can a person with 6 in their tri-type have the 6 be phobic or counterphobic and how important is it? How much does this add to the personality?

5) Which type is the most afraid of taking action because it is afraid of just existing and affecting things as well as potentially causing negative affects for other people or being afraid of failure and disaster occurring because of it? Would this be typical of a 9?

6) Are 9s ever comfortable with being angry and just don't know how to effectively and appropriately express it? I'm far more comfortable with anger than sadness.

Thanks in advance.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) I keep reading in the book I have about how 9s have trouble taking a "position". Is this also in regard to having opinions and beliefs and defending them? Because I have a lot of these and have never been shy about defending them.

Yes, 9s don't like to take stances. They try to mediate, see the middle-road.

2) Can a 6 be phobic at times and counterphobic at other times? Like flip-flop?

Yes. All 6s have traits of phobia and counterphobia that manifest in different situations in their lives.

3) Could there be a counterphobic 9 or is it just 6s and 8s?

Only counter-passion. Counterphobia is the counter-passion of type 6, and is related to the subtypes. I would recommend reading up on Naranjo's works, or Beatrice Chestnut's.

4) Can a person with 6 in their tri-type have the 6 be phobic or counterphobic and how important is it? How much does this add to the personality?

I don't a) believe in the p/cp divide, and b) a 6 is a 6 first and will manifest both behaviors associated with p/cp at any given time, which also therefore holds true when it comes to the tritype.

5) Which type is the most afraid of taking action because it is afraid of just existing and affecting things as well as potentially causing negative affects for other people or being afraid of failure and disaster occurring because of it? Would this be typical of a 9?

No. Sounds more 6.

6) Are 9s ever comfortable with being angry and just don't know how to effectively and appropriately express it? I'm far more comfortable with anger than sadness.

As a whole, 9s suppress their anger and don't want to be aware of it.