• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] FREE COOKIES INSIDE!

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been looking into enneagram, and I seem to resonate with the 4,8,7,3 and 8, but can never properly figure out my type. I have done numerous enneagram tests in the past, and usually score high around the 8,7 and 4 aspects. I would like other opinions and thoughts, because some things seem off to me. Thanks.

Here's a short questionnaire (if you want to know more things, feel free to ask me questions):

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

What drives me in life? A few things, actually. My visions drive me; having a purpose in life. Accomplishing things, doing things and knowing that people appreciate what I do, and respect me like I respect them. My passion and anger also drives me. The need to do things to improve my future; the need to know where I am going, and the need to go out and meet people. The need to socialize, and the need to defend what is mine. To get the balance between ambition and adventure right. To enjoy life.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

What do I hope to accomplish? I would say legend status, but I won't always be around to enjoy that if I get there, but hey, whatever. Anyway, I hope to accomplish some degree of [in]famy, a music studio, a decent house somewhere, and enough influence among people to help/hinder them. In the end, I want to get to the other side without failing, and going to 'hell'.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

What do I want to avoid being? Weak, a failure, a hypocrite, a loser, in jail. Someone who had ambition and the intelligence to execute their plans, but never got there, because they were too busy screwing about. At the end of the day, you only get one shot at life, and you want to make it count.

What do I want to avoid doing? Nothing. Living somewhere crap in a dead-end job. No ambition, no vision. Stuck in a rut with no friends/money. A hobo. Or someone's monkey wrench. I don't wanna be a slave, lol. I want to be free and in control of what I need to be. We have free will for a reason.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

I don't fear dying, funny enough. I don't fear evil, I don't fear words, I don't fear humans, but I do fear becoming paralysed. Trapped, nowhere to go. People running after me, becoming a burden. Becoming old and frail. But hey, I guess I'll try find a way around that. I do pray a lot, and I know I'm going to be safe as long as I don't do anything really stupid. Risky, yes. Stupid, no. There is a difference between risks and stupidity, especially calculated risks.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

How do I want others to see me? As I am. As I was, as I always will be. I am what I am. Take me as I am.

How do I see myself? As a friendly, intelligent, ambitious person, who has a vision for the future. Someone who is strong, and confident, but has their flaws, which are constantly being worked on, in order to improve and grow myself into a better person.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

What makes me feel my best? When I am doing things, achieving things, going places, feeling wanted. In control, happy, ready to take on the world. When I'm on top of things. When I know what's going to happen next.

What makes me feel my worst? When I'm depressed, demotivated, doing nothing, underappreciated. Have no direction, no vision, no-one to talk to. When I'm bored, underpreforming. Just out of it.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

a) Anger. Anger is my most prevalent emotion, it seems. I experience it in quick, powerful, psychical rages. I become a madman when I'm angry. I break things, I shout loudly and cuss. I think I've scared a few people off in the past because of it, and made them afraid of me, lol. My nicname used to be Psycho.

b) Shame? I try not to show when I'm shamed. I try to keep a straight face. I try not to show emotion. I don't like shame, it makes me feel like a failure. But sometimes if I'm shamed/psyched enough, it can show as anger.

c) Anxiety? I try not to let that show either, but I guess I get all hot and frustrated.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a) Stress? Pretty similar to anxiety. Sometimes with a bit of anger, and in extreme cases, hyperventilation. I do shout and cuss a lot, but sometimes I can just lose it. Depends on how severe the stress is, and what it's about.

b) Unexpected change? Very well, infact I quite enjoy it sometimes. Variety is the spice of life. I am adaptable when needs be, when things don't go to plan, or take an unexpected turn. I can think fast and on my feet.

c) Conflict? I'm usually in the face of it, or the one causing it. Especially when I'm stressed/angry. I can handle it well enough, definitely.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

a) Authority? Screw authority. I am the authority in my territory. I'll defend myself if I have to.

b) Power? Pft. Power is only as powerful as you perceive it to be. You can be powerful, or you can be weak. You can gain power easily, you can become corrupt, or you can corrupt others. Power is influential. Power speaks more than money. Power can be dangerous. Power is what it is.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

My overall outlook? All good things have to come to an end, but for now, make the most of it. And don't be stupid. Do things that you know will get you somewhere without you having to pay the price in the end. And watch out for cucumbers going through your catflaps ;D

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel very misled by the thread title. :mad:

Jaguar

Screw the enneagram, I'm having cookies.

a5371459-75b5-4545-b1b9-89bcf1ffb9dc.jpg

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your though pattern is very-very-very similar to mine. In many places you have used the same sequence of thoughts with the same words I'm using. I would suggest 8w7 if your ambitions to avoid being controlled by others is stronger than craving fun with rich experiences, otherwise 7w8. I think you are 7w8 based on your answers.

(BTW: I'm also scoring very high on every type from 4 to 8.)

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your though pattern is very-very-very similar to mine. In many places you have used the same sequence of thoughts with the same words I'm using. I would suggest 8w7 if your ambitions to avoid being controlled by others is stronger than craving fun with rich experiences, otherwise 7w8. I think you are 7w8 based on your answers.

(BTW: I'm also scoring very high on every type from 4 to 8.)

Thank you for your answer. Is it possible to be an 8w7, but have 7w8 as part of your tritype, like 87x something? I'd also like to try and figure out my tritype , and get a few more opinions.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See below v

Fine. :dry:

You're 7w6 cp sx/sp. Trifix is 783.

The biggest decision was between 7w8 and 7w6. The way you talk about fear and anger doesnt resonate as a core 8-type, and strikes me as more cp6.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The biggest decision was between 7w8 and 7w6. The way you talk about fear and anger doesnt resonate as a core 8-type, and strikes me as more cp6.
7w6 totally make sense. Although I think the reason is rather in the social part (eg: "knowing that people appreciate what I do") and not the fears. The fears are basically losing different kinds of freedom that is understandable as a 7.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w6 totally make sense. Although I think the reason is rather in the social part (eg: "knowing that people appreciate what I do") and not the fears. The fears are basically losing different kinds of freedom that is understandable as a 7.

I think that's a legitimate approach as the bolded tips off the connection to 3, but still also points to a distinct difference in cp6 vs 8. There's a sort of meta appreciation in a 6 of "that which is frightening" or "that which intimidates", and what it signifies to take on those things or oppose them. It's not an innate calculation on the part of an 8. As an 8, the connection to 5 makes my calculation more or less a rational one: "Does taking on such and such a thing serve my ends?" or "Am I in a position to take on the risk of such a fight". Whether something makes me look "powerful" or "intimidating" is like...it makes me feel uncomfortable to think of fighting to let someone know I'm strong. The idea of leveraging the image of power to serve an end is not something that is a natural way of thinking for me, or most 8s I know.

But you're right, the kinetic quality in the speech, as well as the anxieties around loss of agency/movement/freedom in [MENTION=23098]Captain_Invincible[/MENTION] are pretty clear hallmarks of a core 7.

I may also revise the OP to sx/so as oppose to sx/sp now that I'm thinking about it.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION]

I can see 8 and 3, but what is the bit in what he said that makes him a 7 not an 8 for the main thing? What does a main 8 say instead of what he said?

And what does cp mean?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can see 8 and 3, but what is the bit in what he said that makes him a 7 not an 8 for the main thing? What does a main 8 say instead of what he said?

And what does cp mean?

I cover most of your questions in my previous post. As for cp, it stands for "counterphobic". 6s are said to come in two varieties--phobic and counterphobic.

Enneagram Institute said:
Sixes tend to use two different methods of coping with their anxiety: a phobic response or a counterphobic response. Sixes who are more phobic often deal with their fears through a dependent stance. They are more aware of their anxiety and turn quickly to others, particularly authority figures, for support. They are more self-doubting and emotionally vulnerable and can resemble type Four. Phobic Sixes believe in keeping a low profile and not causing trouble, especially in those situations to which they have turned for security. They will often pursue a course of appeasement when conflicts arise, and like to stay within well-defined guidelines and procedures. Phobic Sixes are fearful that the people on whom they depend will abandon them.

Sixes who are more counterphobic are much more likely to question, or even rebel against authorities. They are quicker to confront others and are more prone to suspiciousness than phobic Sixes. They are more determined to be independent and resist turning to others for support. In this respect, counterphobic Sixes can resemble Eights. They try to repress their anxiety through action, and in the average Levels, can react strongly and defensively if questioned. They want to know where others stand and may aggressively provoke a response from them to find out. Counterphobic Sixes are fearful that others will try to trick them or take advantage of them. When conflicts arise, they can be highly confrontational and even belligerent. Nevertheless, beneath their bluster, they are just as fearful and anxious as phobic Sixes, but their actions are a reaction to the anxiety rather than a direct expression of it.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks

Thanks for your input guys. It's much appreciated, but I'd like to add a few things if you don't mind:

I can definitely see myself as a 783, if not 873. Counterphobic six? I have gotten mentions of that in the past, but haven't really been able to resonate with it much, apart from the rebelling part, though I can definitely see where it comes in. I am quite good at that aspect, lol.

And what does cp mean?

I cover most of your questions in my previous post. As for cp, it stands for "counterphobic". 6s are said to come in two varieties--phobic and counterphobic.

There. Answered for you ;D

I think that's a legitimate approach as the bolded tips off the connection to 3, but still also points to a distinct difference in cp6 vs 8. There's a sort of meta appreciation in a 6 of "that which is frightening" or "that which intimidates", and what it signifies to take on those things or oppose them. It's not an innate calculation on the part of an 8. As an 8, the connection to 5 makes my calculation more or less a rational one: "Does taking on such and such a thing serve my ends?" or "Am I in a position to take on the risk of such a fight". Whether something makes me look "powerful" or "intimidating" is like...it makes me feel uncomfortable to think of fighting to let someone know I'm strong. The idea of leveraging the image of power to serve an end is not something that is a natural way of thinking for me, or most 8s I know.

But you're right, the kinetic quality in the speech, as well as the anxieties around loss of agency/movement/freedom in [MENTION=23098]Captain_Invincible[/MENTION] are pretty clear hallmarks of a core 7.

I may also revise the OP to sx/so as oppose to sx/sp now that I'm thinking about it.

Yeah, 7w6 could make sense, but I'm not really driven by fear as much as most sixes. Again, could be the counterphobic aspect like you mentioned above. I can definitely see seven in me. And sx/so makes a lot of sense. I knew I was sx core.

Yeah, so/sx.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You have definitely more grasp of this topic than I have. For me the distinction between 7w6 and 7w8 was quite difficult when I typed myself but your description further justifies that I've made a good decision. Actually the kind of social behavior and the desire to own goods is a significant difference between OP and me even if I saw surprisingly large similarity between us at first spot.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for your input guys. It's much appreciated, but I'd like to add a few things if you don't mind:

I can definitely see myself as a 783, if not 873. Counterphobic six? I have gotten mentions of that in the past, but haven't really been able to resonate with it much, apart from the rebelling part, though I can definitely see where it comes in. I am quite good at that aspect, lol.

There. Answered for you ;D

Yeah, 7w6 could make sense, but I'm not really driven by fear as much as most sixes. Again, could be the counterphobic aspect like you mentioned above. I can definitely see seven in me. And sx/so makes a lot of sense. I knew I was sx core.

Yeah, so/sx.

Obviously, no one knows you better than you know yourself, so take everything I've said here with a grain of salt and continue to learn as much as you can as you work through these questions. Either way, glad to know my input was useful. :)

You have definitely more grasp of this topic than I have. For me the distinction between 7w6 and 7w8 was quite difficult when I typed myself but your description further justifies that I've made a good decision. Actually the kind of social behavior and the desire to own goods is a significant difference between OP and me even if I saw surprisingly large similarity between us at first spot.

I think it's pretty common. I went through a period where I wasn't sure if I was core 8 or cp 6w5 when I was first becoming acquainted with enneagram, but after enough observation and self-reflection, the two are quite different animals. 6w5, 6w7 and 7w6 are all double Head center types, which means they're gonna have a lot mental activity. To put it more plainly, core 6s and 6 wingers just think about things waayyyyy more than I do. They also have that "kinetic" quality that I mentioned earlier whereas 8s and w8's tend to feel more grounded and relatively slower. A lot of this stuff is pretty hand wave-y at the end of the day, so just stick with what works for you, I guess lol.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What drives me in life? A few things, actually. My visions drive me; having a purpose in life. Accomplishing things, doing things and knowing that people appreciate what I do, and respect me like I respect them. My passion and anger also drives me. The need to do things to improve my future; the need to know where I am going, and the need to go out and meet people. The need to socialize, and the need to defend what is mine. To get the balance between ambition and adventure right. To enjoy life.

873 or 783.

You have the confidence and confrontational nature of an 8, backed up by the ambition of a 3 and a 7's thirst for adventure.

If I had to guess wings, I'd say 8w9, 7w6, and 3w?. The 9 is faint but IMO shows in your need to defend what's yours. Others have already commented on the 6 wing. Not sure what your 3 wing would be.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
873 or 783.

You have the confidence and confrontational nature of an 8, backed up by the ambition of a 3 and a 7's thirst for adventure.

If I had to guess wings, I'd say 8w9, 7w6, and 3w?. The 9 is faint but IMO shows in your need to defend what's yours. Others have already commented on the 6 wing. Not sure what your 3 wing would be.

873, I agree with it, but I think I am an 8w?, 7w8 [I looked into 7s, and resonate with w8 over w6, imo] and 3w4 [definitely resonate with w4 over w2].
I definitely agree with that.

Can someone please explain the main differences between an 8w7 and an 8w9 to me? (In bullet form, preferably, and laid out by w7 and w9 for ease).
I know that Es tend to lean more towards the w7 side, and Is tend to lean more toward the w9 side, from my own knowledge.