• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] You know you're a type 9 when...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you are having a pleasant debate with someone and constantly find yourself questioning or second-guessing your own argument, or in the very least, seeing the other person's perspective as clearly as your own.

I am convinced 9s are terrible at debating...at least it doesn't come naturally to them. It can be learned, but they will never debate with the ease and fluidity of, say, a 5, an 8, or even a 6. 9s make great debate moderators

....unless the 9's heart is heavily invested in an issue or cause, then they might become fiery proponents for said issue/cause.

Starry

Ok, my bad. I just get panicked when I think I might've said something wrong. Life's kicked my ass pretty good this past year. lol Anyway, thanks for all the info. It's helpful.

You are a good person DreamBeliever and not even close to being one of the first people to have a bit of a false start as a new member here - omg no, haha I think it is more common than not. This is not like a new employment situation...no one's getting paid to behave in a welcoming, supportive way... <-But when you have no accumulated understanding of anyone and are communicating without tone, inflection, facial expressions...how do you really know when someone is truly being supportive or lighthearted? Just know that if you have not yet started a "Why Does Everyone Here Hate Me?" thread...you haven't even gone half the distance yet.

Be forgiving with yourself too, especially if you are trying to pull yourself out of a shitty past experience as you continue to process it. Misunderstandings... I'm fairly convinced Life is just one, big misunderstanding haha. Do not beat-yourself up when they occur.

When you return maybe we can get a mod to clean up this thread because I think there is value here. This is a good thread to have.

DreamBeliever

You are a good person DreamBeliever and not even close to being one of the first people to have a bit of a false start as a new member here - omg no, haha I think it is more common than not. This is not like a new employment situation...no one's getting paid to behave in a welcoming, supportive way... <-But when you have no accumulated understanding of anyone and are communicating without tone, inflection, facial expressions...how do you really know when someone is truly being supportive or lighthearted? Just know that if you have not yet started a "Why Does Everyone Here Hate Me?" thread...you haven't even gone half the distance yet.

Be forgiving with yourself too, especially if you are trying to pull yourself out of a shitty past experience as you continue to process it. Misunderstandings... I'm fairly convinced Life is just one, big misunderstanding haha. Do not beat-yourself up when they occur.

When you return maybe we can get a mod to clean up this thread because I think there is value here. This is a good thread to have.

This definitely puts me more at ease. Thanks. :) I'll try to go easier on myself & lighten up. Yes, I constantly feel misunderstood, but I guess that just comes with being human. I'm glad you think that this thread is redeemable & has some substance. I think having an understanding of mbti/enneagram can be a good thing, but I must admit that sometimes I wish I would have never stumbled across it in the first place. I find most people here to be nice, friendly, helpful, & accepting, but one negative comment can just ruin my whole day. I guess I need to learn not to be so sensitive. lol I do think I should limit the time I spend on here, though. I really can't believe I'm answering back so quickly as is. I thought I'd wait awhile after my embarrassment the other day, but I see it with more clarity now & just want to more forward. Dwelling on the past never solves anything. I'm not sure how well it will help, considering it's not the must telling video, but here's a vid of me that I made for my video thread. Maybe you can get some sort of mbti/enneagram/tritype/instinctual variant vibe off of it. Couldn't hurt, right? Sorry that I look a little messy in it, btw. lol Here ya go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0-825BvX4

DreamBeliever

In mainstream psychology, all people find themselves exhibiting "all personality traits, in some scenario or another." That's how fortune tellers cheat you: they make up blanket psychoanalytical narratives that can apply loosely to anyone, tell them to you, and then you're left thinking they know your innermost thoughts.

An isolated negative trait such as laziness doesn't give you a free pass to identify as an enneagram type that is neither intrinsically positive or negative. Fix your laziness or don't talk about it, don't flaunt it like it's an advantage.

If there's any enneagram correlation to that, it's 2 and 1, and possibly 3 or 6 in a pinch, since their approach to the world is so strategic.

"I have friends! I'm capable of human affection! There's still a chance I won't die alone!"

The way you seem to be flaunting around your conflict-avoidance like a medal is decidedly un-9 like. You're proactively trying to project a certain image to validate your self-typing. Nine is not conflict-avoidant, it is supine and indifferent. The endgame goal of the Nine is to conserve as much energy as possible, and it does this by severing itself from attachment to objects and processes in its environment. The Nine is a jellyfish: it allows the currents to toss it and carry it wherever it may go, but because it stores all its energy within unless its life is clearly compromised, it survives all of them. I can't help but think a Nine would take a much more serious, invested approach to personality psychology, only choosing to do so if there were a benefit to his inner mind. Your approach, on the other hand, seems distinctly rudimentary and anecdotal, as if investing one's mental or Gut-energy prodigally -- a Nine would invest his energy only when a return on his investment was both guaranteed and crucial to his well-being.

Acceptable, but note it seems to resonate with the theme of duality between extremes of human personality that seems to appear often in your thread subject matters. While there's nothing incorrect here, take note that fluctuations between extremes of human personality is present in all human personalities according to psychology; moreover, you seem to show symptoms of a Spotlight Effect, believing your own internal narrative and reactions to situations to be much stranger and more different than the majority of the human population, when, in reality, everyone around you thinks the same of themselves.

If you wish to identify Nine anger, note that it usually involves a sense of personal persecution or having been wronged, rather than a fear-reaction to danger. Remember, the goal of the Nine is not to be perfect or help others, but to minimize damage to the self by "disappearing."

I don't intend to disappoint, but you've landed smack dab in the middle of Phony Idealism Central. Here, anecdotal claims of altruism have plummeted in value due to inflation. At this point, I think it's more than fair to say these points don't quite go for anything, even if they are legit.

On the other hand, it's a blessing enough you haven't landed on the Ti-controlled other half of the internet, 4chan Deliberately Forced Cynicism Central.

:yapyapyap:

DreamBeliever

I'm not a 9 but I have a 9 wing and I don't relate to this at all lol. A lot of this sounds really positive outlook but many of them don't explicitly express which positive outlook type.

The way my 9 appears the most to me is simply an attitude of pointlessness, apathy and indifference. I'll often go fuck that, I can't arse to care anymore and pretend it doesn't exist or affects me.

I'm also much more cynical than what the op expresses and I don't relate much to the statements about caring. That's the thing for me, that I explicitly don't care. Bad shit happening? Why the fuck should I care. Bad shit always happens so zero point getting riled up over it. I also experience 9-ness in how I tend to diminish my own value and importance, feeling as if I'm not relevant or matter.

So E9 is just not caring about anything? Seriously want to know, because that seems odd. Being more cynical than me could just be due to mbti type. Just a thought. I actually nicknamed an INTJ friend of mine (well, former friend) cynical (no joke). She was not happy. lol I'm not claiming to be an E9 here, either. I'm just saying I could see the possibility (to clear that up for everyone). I made this thread to see if peope relate to what I had to say (& it's fine that you don't), & for them to state E9 traits that they relate to & exhibit.

Cygnus

Too late. You replied earlier, you made it apparent your ego was bruised.

All this further response goes to show is that your perceptions were shattered at the very thought of someone challenging them. If you cared intrinsically about this information, you would've countered my arguments with actual logic, which I have yet to see.

DreamBeliever

I'm possibly way to reactive to be a type 9 anyway, but idk. :overreact: I should of been to sleep hours ago, so before I cause further self destruction, I'll show myself offline. :offtobed:

DreamBeliever

All this further response goes to show is that your perceptions were shattered at the very thought of someone challenging them. If you cared intrinsically about this information, you would've countered my arguments with actual logic, which I have yet to see.

:nopoints: :rolleyes: :bye:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp

Just jumping in to say...

Doesn't the bolded sound 9?

Cygnus

1513326_10201456396359204_325539440_n.jpg

Just jumping in to say...

Doesn't the bolded sound 9?
No, a Nine wouldn't take such ego damage at something so trivial. If anything, she'd either explain why that's bullshit, or she'd accept logical correction and say "Oh, okay" and stoically slink away. OP isn't even taking a look at the arguments being presented, she's plugging her ears to feel better about herself. A Nine is far too patient and careful to ignore information that has even a potential of usefulness.

If a Nine read that and it was trash, she wouldn't care that it was trash, she just wouldn't reply. If a Nine read it and it wasn't trash, she might take more vested interest in the information. If a Nine got her ego bruised from this -- no true Nine has an ego.

In the context of this dispute, a Nine would give more value to the actual, objective information being presented, than to the context of its presentation.

DreamBeliever

1513326_10201456396359204_325539440_n.jpg

No, a Nine wouldn't take such ego damage at something so trivial. If anything, she'd either explain why that's bullshit, or she'd accept logical correction and say "Oh, okay" and stoically slink away. OP isn't even taking a look at the arguments being presented, she's plugging her ears to feel better about herself. A Nine is far too patient and careful to ignore information that has even a potential of usefulness.

If a Nine read that and it was trash, she wouldn't care that it was trash, she just wouldn't reply. If a Nine read it and it wasn't trash, she might take more vested interest in the information. If a Nine got her ego bruised from this -- no true Nine has an ego.

In the context of this dispute, a Nine would give more value to the actual, objective information being presented, than to the context of its presentation.

Real question: What type do I come across as, in your opinion?

Cygnus

My guess has always been 2, with a 1-fix or 9-fix somewhere. Probably 6 as your head-fix, but almost certainly not a core 6. So I'm guessing 2w1-1w9-6w7.

DreamBeliever

My guess has always been 2, with a 1-fix or 9-fix somewhere. Probably 6 as your head-fix, but almost certainly not a core 6. So I'm guessing 2w1-1w9-6w7.

Alright, I can accept that. How about mbti type? Any ideas on that?

Cygnus

Fe-dom? Not picking up a lot going for Pe, but can't quite pin down the type of Pi either.

Sorry for the trouble, I just saw yet another of the myriad of threads I thought was shaky and figured I'd get a rise out of bombing it -- I have an 8 fix, I'm retarded that way.

DreamBeliever

Another attempt to pull myself away from my phone failed. :fpalm: Imma feel dead in the morning. Oh well...

DreamBeliever

Fe-dom? Not picking up a lot going for Pe, but can't quite pin down the type of Pi either.

Sorry for the trouble, I just saw yet another of the myriad of threads I thought was shaky and figured I'd get a rise out of bombing it -- I have an 8 fix, I'm retarded that way.

Ok, appreciate the response.

Guess I need to just not get so butt-hurt over things. I'm a cry baby sometimes. lol

DreamBeliever

What's your tritype, btw, if you don't mind me asking? (Since I see "Ten" written under enneagram for you. hehe)

Cygnus

368 or 378, usually typed as Ne-dom. 6 and 7 are tied for my most common pegging. And I've recently realized I totally fucking hate Ti.

DreamBeliever

368 or 378, usually typed as Ne-dom. 6 and 7 are tied for my most common pegging.

Oh, ok. I can see that. omg, I was just about to tell you that you seem like an Ne-dom, no joke! Are you sure you're an ESFp, then? I'd be inclined to guess along the lines of ENTP. :shrug: