• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Having some hangups with Enneagram...

Jaidyn

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello there! It has been a long time since I have been here. I am a fan of the enneagram, I know with certainty my type, wings, variants, etc through many articles online including some I found elsewhere. I recently acquired some books on the enneagram and I swear it is like I hit a brick wall.
I am not a very spiritual minded person. Honestly it is something I struggle with. I mention that because when I read the books I have, I just "feel" like I get hammered with "holy" or "Grace" this, "Divine" that... "our true identity as Spirit or Essence". Mind you, most of this is from the "Understanding the Enneagram" book by Riso-Hudson. I know they aren't universally loved in the ennagram community here, but it is one of the books I have. I am currently waiting for "The Enneagram" by Helen Palmer and hoping it is not so "mystical" sounding.

Don't get me wrong... I am not opposed to a mystical origin if there is one and who knows. Maybe there is something to that. I am not opposed to that. But I just am curious... what is the easiest way to really get into the enneagram without getting all that stuff thrown at me? Or is that just a perspective of only a couple authors? For anyone else having the same issues, how do you get around the mystical/religious undertones that appear to be prevalent?

Thank you for your time.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gloss over the parts that focus on spirituallity or God, or frame them in a way that works for you.

I'm not a big fan of Riso and Hudson, Palmer's language is a lot more practical imo, and her works are pretty non-spiritual, but appreciating different writers is not about the spirituality in their language for me (I do dislike that stuff though), a couple of the more interesting reads for me are Maitri and Almass who use a lot of spiritual language when talking about the Holy Ideas. All I do is ignore the connection of spiritual things to anything supernatural and instead see it as a more universal abstract concept, if you ignore that aspect there's a lot of value that can be gained.

Or just keep reading and find which writers gel for you.