• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI, enneagram and self improvement

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just finished reading a short book about the ennegram. At the end of the book it gave general advice for self improvement as well as advice specific to each type. I was wondering if there is equivalent advice with Myers-Briggs.

I have read general information about how your life can be improved through knowing your own type. Generally this is about how important it is to know yourself and know your strenghts and weaknesses. But is there any advice based specifically on individual types? How specific types should strenghten their strong points and work on improving their week points? Have any books been written on it?

Ilah

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From personal experience with the few I've read-

To a certain extent, Lenore Thomson's book Personality Type: An Owner's Manual offers some insight, albeit from a less practical and more cerebral/theoretical standpoint, on how to improve yourself. The central theory she uses is "Engage your secondary function" with short quips on what that actually means for each type.

She does most certainly go into detail on what happens when you are gripped by your tertiary/inferior functions, thus exposing the dynamics of your weaknesses.

A book that goes into much better detail on the inferior function however is this: Was That Really Me? by Naomi L. Quenk

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
The book "I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You" has a section devoted to developing the least function. I have found the suggestions and insights to be very apt.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks, I will add these books to my list of books to get.

Ilah

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I tried responding yesterday, but still can't access personalitypage.com. It has a section on growth for each type that goes into great detail about how the dominant function can smother the auxiliary and lesser developed functions. Maybe it will be back up soon.