User Tag List

First 234

Well, I was just thinking last night about how I focus my attention extra intensely when I need to be paying attention to something, and I realized that I do it because I'm afraid that if I sit back and "pay attention" in a more passive way, I know I'll start daydreaming or thinking about things that have nothing to do with what's going on in the room, or wherever the setting might be.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metis View Post
    Well, I was just thinking last night about how I focus my attention extra intensely when I need to be paying attention to something, and I realized that I do it because I'm afraid that if I sit back and "pay attention" in a more passive way, I know I'll start daydreaming or thinking about things that have nothing to do with what's going on in the room, or wherever the setting might be.
    What things do you find harder to concentrate on than others?

Personally I find some intellectual work a real pain. Like writing reports. It is so boring and daydreaming is close at hand.
    Watching taped lectures is also much harder to concentrate on compared to real lectures for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    What things do you find harder to concentrate on than others?

Personally I find some intellectual work a real pain. Like writing reports. It is so boring and daydreaming is close at hand.
    Watching taped lectures is also much harder to concentrate on compared to real lectures for me.
    Well, when I was thinking about it the other day, in the car, I was specifically thinking about a group training situation in which we're all supposed to gain a lot of knowledge in a relatively short time period. It's not hard to concentrate on it--I mean, I'm succeeding at it, and I'm not drifting off. But it requires an intense effort. I'm afraid that if I take it easy and don't engage proactively, I either will get distracted OR just not remember anything.

I know that if I resist getting lulled into a passive mindset--and that can be hard to do, because sometimes a speaker's presentation style encourages a passive mindset--and keep the mindset that I'm actively pursuing the information, then I can pay attention better, and I can retain more.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxFJ

I suffer from severe maladaptive daydreaming, which is a coping mechanism that emerged from childhood trauma. I've learnt to use meditation and yoga to focus my energy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I used to do this a lot more, as it was part of my depression cycle, coping mechanisms for trauma. I would completely disconnect from reality, and engage "auto pilot". Sometimes I did it in vary dangerous situations like driving. I only recently stopped doing it as much, because my conditions have evolved over time.
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LSI

Quintessential Type 9.

Level 5: Active, but disengaged, unreflective, and inattentive. Do not want to be affected, so become unresponsive and complacent, walking away from problems, and "sweeping them under the rug." Thinking becomes hazy and ruminative, mostly comforting fantasies, as they begin to "tune out" reality, becoming oblivious. Emotionally indolent, unwillingness to exert self or to focus on problems: indifference.

Lower health levels will increase this tendency. Other types may experience this as well (wings, connected lines, trifix,...), but the root of it stems from type 9. If there's no 9, there won't be maladaptive daydreaming (this includes 4's or 5's who have no connection to 9). Enneagram Institute is wrong to ascribe "dreaming" to type 4. This is because Don Riso himself was not a 4 core, as he thought he was, but 9.

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

K
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    :(: None

I can find myself in a lot of symptoms of maladaptive daydreaming. Since I was a child my head has always been 'in the clouds'. School was pretty much useless because I was never able to pay attention to anything, I hear people talking but I don't know what they are saying.

Sometimes I like the fact that I am able to entertain myself with this. Other times I wonder if I am not wasting too much time on it, as if I'm loosing connection with the real world. (Well, it's called 'maladaptive' for a reason I guess, it's not healthy in the end)

Though I doubt that only certain e-types can have it. Yes I am a four but I also have ADD and it's 'normal' for people with ADD to be like this. I think everyone (with a mental illness) has the ability to become a maladaptive daydreamer, doesn't matter what type you are.
    “I can’t explain what I mean. And even if I could, I’m not sure I’d feel like it.”

- J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

Maladaptive daydream? sounds like something adults tell children out of jealousy.
    With all due respect,
    The Cat.

Clarity demands a certain degree of objectivity, from the world as well as the observer...

I've got my fingers crossed for a little freakydeaky...

You know, trudging? To trudge?
    To trudge: the slow, weary... depressing, yet determined walk of a man who had nothing left ...except the impulse to simply soldier on...

Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

something really random and strange is that Eli Somer is a connection of mine on Linkedin lol. I don't remember when and how this happened (I don't go on there very much, literally don't have anything on my profile except for 'Student'). I do engage in maladaptive daydreaming, and my guess is practically anyone who needs to find some kind of an escape or outlet might also. So depressed people, anxious people too probably, people with social issues, etc. Idk if it's specific to any type of personality or not, and my guess is that likely people in general show some tendencies of this, even if it's not 'maladaptive' literally.