• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram 4 what is all about

vgu

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am 4, like Bowie, or Trent Reznor, test say an individualist. What's that mean? Am I crazy like Marylin Manson or what. I don't find myself crazy so I'd say just different, an artist if you want.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
4's love to express themselves, whether that be through music, art, writing, or fashion. Like, they reflect on themselves a lot and might combine that with creativity, which they then put into their work.

Any type can be a total whack job. ;)

This website is pretty helpful, I think..... 4 - Enneagram Type Four: The Individualist

TopCatLSD

It basically means that you're a moody bitch, that doesn't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Your naturally good at being a worthless fuck.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It basically means that you're a moody bitch, that doesn't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Your naturally good at being a worthless fuck.

Hi Arendee!

LR0Cv9o.gif

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4s usually felt like they are unwanted, or rejected by their parents, or peers in early age and therefor they feel like there is something wrong with them. The rejection might be also just felt emotionally without any visible, or rational external cause and so 4s just live with the idea they've been rejected because they're different and to protect their egoes, they create an image that supports their inner feeling of being special and uniqe in order to protect themselves from the painfull experience of negative external reaction from the enviroment. 4s tend to become slaves of their own emotionality, because the emotions seem to be a connection point between their egoes and the core of their "disturbed nature", that they try to hide as much as they desire to show it. The conflict often builds up and creates a tension and it leads a lot of 4s to an artistic expressions of metaphorical self, because when they create art, they don't literally have to show their true ego, but rather protect their ego with metaphors and hidden meanings that leads us to the core of the existence of a 4. Their ego also manifests in the style of their clothing, or fashion, but a 4, because it beliefs it's disturbed and deffective, creates a false ego, an idea of a self, they jsut feel insecure when it comes to sharing their true and raw selves, because they feel that the rejection might come again and it might destroy them not only emotionally, but also psychologically. The fake self might be so strong, that the 4 looses contact with its true nature and is obsessed with ego protection based on super-ego relevance.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
4's love to express themselves, whether that be through music, art, writing, or fashion. Like, they reflect on themselves a lot and might combine that with creativity, which they then put into their work.

Though I agree with what [MENTION=18559]Inis Mona[/MENTION] has posted above, it's important to stress that an artistic gift is not unique to 4s. I do so because I feel quite strongly that one of the most common reasons artistically inclined people (6s and 9s, mainly) mistype as 4s is because they see material in descriptions about creative expression. In reality, I don't think there's much correlation between Enneatype and talent. (As an aside, I think a lot of 4ish music sucks because many 4s don't care to learn about harmony, form and how to orchestrate music like a head type would.)

OK, so what defines a 4? I think Riso and Hudson's material is a little misleading actually, as they pander to the stereotypes I mentioned and don't really touch on the core traits that define a 4. Better descriptions can be found here: The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 4: Identity-Seeker

I also urge people to take a look at this book once they've narrowed themselves down to two possible Enneatypes: Character and Neurosis

Any type can be a total whack job. ;)

Ahh, but to be a 4 you pretty much have to be a whack job, and secretly be proud of it lol.