• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 7w8 Hostility

Cygnus

Something I've noticed myself doing is that every interaction I ever have with anyone is some sort of power struggle, like I somehow need to outwit the other person with every word I ever say even though we're not competing. I get the impression that people could knife me in the side even when they're all friendly and smiling. Thing is, I don't outwardly come off as afraid at all. I look like a moron to them, an overconfident moron who doesn't give a shit what they say or do to me, but it gives me the creeps. It's like I'm always preparing and compensating for hostilities that never come without even realizing it and it ruins things for me.

Could this be a 7w8 problem or is it related to another type? Is it even Enneagram or could it be better explained by a different system?

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I know a 7w8 who is very attuned to the power struggle aspect of interactions. He's always going on about how people are after power and after hanging out with someone will analyse to me about what the person's motives were, how they used this or that technique to manipulate those around them.

So, yeah. Could be an enneagram thing.

Miguelito

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can understand this and identify with it somewhat, being introduced to another bloke my age I can easily view it as this, an almost mental sparring.
With my closest friends we are always wrestling with words but it's never too serious.
Despite being cynical of some people's actions however I don't have this attitude to most I meet, not a competition at least.
I do have an almost arrogant manner that I am untouchable by people thus don't expect hostilities from anyone.

Maybe it's the 8 wing that seeks power and competition mixed with the 7 type that then seeks this from external sources rather than from within.
I can't off the top of my head explain it with MBTI and haven't looked into socionics enough.

Miguelito

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a 7w8 who is very attuned to the power struggle aspect of interactions. He's always going on about how people are after power and after hanging out with someone will analyse to me about what the person's motives were, how they used this or that technique to manipulate those around them.

So, yeah. Could be an enneagram thing.

I do this a lot, I perhaps read too much into people's actions, motives and feelings.
However I also tend to be right as things develop.
So it does seem a 7w8 thing.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely dont care about this shit, so either im not really a 7w8(which i doubt) or its not an ennegram specific trait. Id relate it more to mbti

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds more like an 8w7 thing to me.

á´…eparted

passages
Sounds more like an 8w7 thing to me.

This. 7w8's seem to be more focused on not being pinned down by others and don't really "waste time" thinking about what other people are internally like. They want freedom, not power. Power is only important when it is a means to an end for them.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I only tend to be hostile when someone has said something that REALLY pissed me off. I'll admit, I'm kind of a smartass about it, trying to outwit them or prove that they're wrong if I can't settle with them having the last word.

My dad is an ENTP, probably an E7, and always has to have the last word, no matter how much of an irrational moron he's making himself sound like.

But I don't try to change people or trap them. I'm not good at manipulating people, so I don't do it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Something I've noticed myself doing is that every interaction I ever have with anyone is some sort of power struggle, like I somehow need to outwit the other person with every word I ever say even though we're not competing. I get the impression that people could knife me in the side even when they're all friendly and smiling. Thing is, I don't outwardly come off as afraid at all. I look like a moron to them, an overconfident moron who doesn't give a shit what they say or do to me, but it gives me the creeps. It's like I'm always preparing and compensating for hostilities that never come without even realizing it and it ruins things for me.

Could this be a 7w8 problem or is it related to another type? Is it even Enneagram or could it be better explained by a different system?

If you are a sp 7 then that makes sense. The Sp 7's are generally the ExTP 7's who like to play head games and like to outwit people.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram

That is completely and utterly a 7w8 thing. Anyone who doesnt think so is 100% wrong.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn. I like it. =(

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it comes down to maturity. Any immature core or wing 8 is prone to thumping their chest when they feel threatened.