• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Bad Enneatyping practices.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am reluctant to Enneatype people on the forum unless I know them well, but for people who do want to, I've concluded that there is a right and wrong way to go about it.

What concerns me is that many posters here base their judgements on the stereotypical type descriptions they read (I get the feeling from Riso-Hudson mainly). The problem with this is that these descriptions are, well, stereotypes, and a minority of people in any given type will closely match them. As one's MBTI and instinctual stacking - as well as variables like gender and culture - will colour the way an Enneatype is expressed; it seems ludicrous to assume that all people with a given type will obey a stereotype.

To me, the fundamental behaviours somebody must identify with to be given an Enneatype are:

The Worldview
The Core Fear
The feedback loops
(A few of) The levels of health

For the hell of it let's start with E1. (material from 9Types and The Enneagram Institute)

World View: The world is an imperfect place. I work toward improvement.
Basic Fear: of being condemned
Feedback Loops:
(read the descriptions of them, too)
Levels of Health:

In my view, if you strongly identify with the above, you're likely to be a 1, and I'll go further: the above is actually all that matters. Whether you are a religious zealot or not should have no bearing on anything. But I am sure discerning people can see a problem here: how are you supposed to assess these things if you don't know the person in question? They're pretty personal. I mean it's not as if I would talk about my core fears and desire in life to random strangers on the net. Stereotypes come in because people feel they have to fill in the missing pieces somehow.

I suggest members stop Enneatyping newbies and anybody we don't know well, even if they ask. Working off "vibes" just isn't the right way to go about this.

Constructive comments are welcome...

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you post the other feedback loops.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The main problem with this is that you can identify your own patterns in more than one type ... and may often pick the one that's more obvious to you but may not actually strike at the heart of the issue.

For example, while I'm a core 4, I superficially identify with the 5 loop more and did in fact mistype at 5 for a long time. Similarly, my ex identifies with the 4 loop but that stuff is a smokescreen designed to conceal the neurosis of his real core type, which is 7.

This, like any other typing method else, requires a fairly high level of self-awareness, or awareness of whoever you're typing.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The main problem with this is that you can identify your own patterns in more than one type ... and may often pick the one that's more obvious to you but may not actually strike at the heart of the issue.

I realise that nobody purely expresses the patterns of one type; this is when wings and the integration point become useful.

For example, while I'm a core 4, I superficially identify with the 5 loop more and did in fact mistype at 5 for a long time. Similarly, my ex identifies with the 4 loop but that stuff is a smokescreen designed to conceal the neurosis of his real core type, which is 7.

Uh oh. I don't relate to the 5 loop at all. There are aspects of the 3 and 6 loops that I identify with, but thoughts like this ----> "Something's missing. Others have it. I'm different from them because I don't" are just...you have no idea how badly I get wracked with that...

This, like any other typing method else, requires a fairly high level of self-awareness, or awareness of whoever you're typing.

In which case, surely you generally agree with what I've said in the OP?