• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Identifying With Multiple Enneagram Types

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, so true. I think it probably usually feels kind of humbling and generally shitty to realize your Enneatype.

IRT OP, 3 resonates with me stronger than I would expect given that it's almost definitely not in my tritype. What is interesting is that I feel like I am a 6 who typically behaves like a 9 (kind of floaty, pacifistic, tolerant, inert, stubborn) and feels like a 3 inside (competitive, comparing, workaholic, status-conscious, needing to feel admired). It's only when stressed that the 6ness really rears its head. Of course those two types connect to 6 via lines of integration(9)/ disintegration(3), but I feel like I carry some of 9's negatives in the day-to-day and some of 3's positives, especially over long time spans. I suspect that the Social instinct ends up combining with what 3 is in me to make those motivations appear particularly prominent in my mind, even though they're not always strong enough to alter my identity for.

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], how does 3 manifest for you? I feel like mine is so entwined with Social-style perception that it would be hard for me to separate the two.

For me, the 3 is manifested much the way you describe - competitive, workaholic, status-conscious, needing to feel admired, etc. I'm extremely driven and achievement oriented. I really don't feel like 9 resonates at all though it amuses me that people on the forum seem to perceive those qualities.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me, the 3 is manifested much the way you describe - competitive, workaholic, status-conscious, needing to feel admired, etc. I'm extremely driven and achievement oriented. I really don't feel like 9 resonates at all though it amuses me that people on the forum seem to perceive those qualities.

Yeah, you definitely do have a 9 outward vibe here, I feel like. You seem to be calm, diplomatic, concerned for everyone's harmony, and with a tendency to keep away from the rabble. It's clear that you work hard and are dedicated, but I probably wouldn't have guessed you as 6 over 9 off the bat. Not that I think you are wrong - but it's interesting how impressions go. I would have guessed you 9w8 sp/sx, probably, maybe 9w1. Relatedly, a number of people IRL have told me that I have a calming or soothing presence. I certainly don't typically feel like that inside. I do think you come across clearly 369 tritype, though.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I identify more with motivations of other types than the outer characteristics associated with them.
I understand the 1 a lot - I feel the connection to 1 strongly. I just deal with the sense of things being far from ideal very differently. I also relate easily to 5, initially considering it a second possibility for my own type. I relate a fair amount to some aspects of 3 profiles, but less the typical success driven descriptions than the ones which also focus more on the inner drives. The 3's inner lack of worth and looking for external markers to indicate they have value is something which resonates with me, but it's more blended with more core 4 fixation, and not as strong as my 5 issues.

I can relate to some very specific aspects of other types - some 9 sx/sp profiles just sound very INFP, which makes them relatable. The avoidant aspect of the sp 6 - who fears humiliation and is timid because of it - is somewhat relatable. That is something which Naranjo details about a 6 subtype, but outside of that, I don't relate to much about the 6. The hedonistic or indulgent aspects of 7 & 8 can be relatable too. I'm not callous like an 8 (quite the opposite - 4 is more "open wound"), but there is that similar tendency to feel justified in making others miserable at times (very sx 4).

None of the types resonate as clearly with me as the 4, especially the fixation and internal stuff that leads to certain attitudes and behaviors. While I can see parts of myself in parts of other types, they don't provide the insight knowing my core type has provided. It's really been eye-opening and very useful in navigating my own motivations and feelings and what I do with it all.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. I can see myself as 8w7, but also 7w8, Type 2, Type 3, and a tad bit of a Type 5 and 6.