• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Independent Enneagram Project

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey fellow typology nerds, studiers and enthusiasts! I started an independent photo and interview based project on the Enneagram about 9 months ago and am now wrapping it up. I'm very happy with the way it's turned out, but because I'm more of a big picture person, I never really solidified what I would use it for. Friends have suggested everything from a seminar, to putting the images in a gallery to show.

Do any of you have ideas as to an outlet for my project? I've been trying to think of people/groups in the Enneagram community that might be interested in it. I'm hesitant to post my images here (you know, the internet and creative infringement), but I'm glad to answer questions about the project.

Thoughts? [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] @brainheart [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION] [MENTION=17424]decrescendo[/MENTION] [MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] and anyone else with ideas! :hug: Thanks guys!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey fellow typology nerds, studiers and enthusiasts! I started an independent photo and interview based project on the Enneagram about 9 months ago and am now wrapping it up. I'm very happy with the way it's turned out, but because I'm more of a big picture person, I never really solidified what I would use it for. Friends have suggested everything from a seminar, to putting the images in a gallery to show.

Do any of you have ideas as to an outlet for my project? I've been trying to think of people/groups in the Enneagram community that might be interested in it. I'm hesitant to post my images here (you know, the internet and creative infringement), but I'm glad to answer questions about the project.

Thoughts? [MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION] [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] @brainheart [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION] [MENTION=17424]decrescendo[/MENTION] [MENTION=8046]ayoitsStepho[/MENTION] [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] [MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION] [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] and anyone else with ideas! :hug: Thanks guys!

Contact Jack Labanauskas on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jack.labanauskas.9

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION], thanks! :) Could you fill me in a bit on who he is and his relationship to Enneagram Monthly (I just googled the publication, so my awareness there is pretty green)? Just so I know who I'm messaging.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey [MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION], thanks! :) Could you fill me in a bit on who he is and his relationship to Enneagram Monthly (I just googled the publication, so my awareness there is pretty green)? Just so I know who I'm messaging.

I've known and trusted Jack for years. He's good with ideas for projects and may get you published somehow, perhaps in the EM which has been in business for over 20 years. He built the EM from the ground up.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've known and trusted Jack for years. He's good with ideas for projects and may get you published somehow, perhaps in the EM which has been in business for over 20 years. He started the EM from the ground up.

Wow, I'm very thankful for your suggestion then-- thank you, really! I'll send him a message for sure.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
That sounds like an awesome project!

Friends have suggested everything from a seminar, to putting the images in a gallery to show.
Those are both good suggestions. Maybe publish your own e-book, including both interviews and images. Do a bit of a teaser blog and youtube video, and create a Facebook page for it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Thoughts?

It depends on what your goals are and what your project resulted in. I think it is hard to make any money publishing stuff about something so specific, even if it's incredibly good. If you're looking to share what you learned with the world and get exposure, you could publish it on the forum. There was a suggestion about a video - I think that is an excellent idea. One example is the visual reading of cognitive functions that these guys did. The issue with videos though is that not as many people see them as written material. The reason is that search engines can't read video. You might considering both writing up an article and doing a video.

Can you tell us more about the project, what the results are and why it would be valuable to people?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would suggest a website. If you're looking to make money, then I suppose enough traffic could lead to ads. IDK, I'm not a practical person either & tend to do stuff for its own sake & not have a "use" for it either, sooo... :D

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That sounds great! I'd love to take a look at it, thanks for the mention!

I think some sort of copyrighted website is the best place for it. Speaking from experience, you are right to hesitate putting it on an online community, because there are many who will mercilessly rip you off and claim credit for your ideas.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a better community for it as I am a bit uprooted at present moment. Could you present it to the folks at church and/or ask them about their ideas there?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're looking for someone to criticise your work (maturely of course) I'm all for it, but other than that, I've no ties to any worlds where you could take this to be published.

However, I find the idea quite interesting. Reading a book about real people of certain enneagrams appeals to me more than reading a book about enneagrams, if you catch my drift. If it's a new idea, I imagine there would be publishers out there willing to put it out there.

What I can tell you about publishing is that you need to be very careful with it(If you did not already know :p Sneaky gits they are).
You need to know the publishers intentions for marketing and putting your stuff out there. Wether your product is ending up where it is supposed to be or not. Because once contracted to a particular Publisher, it's not like you can simply contract another Publisher if the previous Publisher failed to deliver. So even though you might feel like taking the first offer on the table it might be a good idea to research the particular Publisher and if possible its clients.

Enneagram Monthly seems like a great place to get recognition for your project, but it seems it would be best if you've managed to publish it before hand before seeking such recognition. If you are looking to get revenue from the project.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks everyone!

That sounds like an awesome project!
Those are both good suggestions. Maybe publish your own e-book, including both interviews and images. Do a bit of a teaser blog and youtube video, and create a Facebook page for it.

Oh, an ebook is a great idea, but it'd just be the images-- that's kind of the unique thing about my project, I've illustrated the photos with the participants exact words. It's kind of mixed media feeling in that way.

It depends on what your goals are and what your project resulted in. I think it is hard to make any money publishing stuff about something so specific, even if it's incredibly good. If you're looking to share what you learned with the world and get exposure, you could publish it on the forum. There was a suggestion about a video - I think that is an excellent idea. One example is the visual reading of cognitive functions that these guys did. The issue with videos though is that not as many people see them as written material. The reason is that search engines can't read video. You might considering both writing up an article and doing a video.

Can you tell us more about the project, what the results are and why it would be valuable to people?

Haha, spoken like a true 6. :wink: I don't think I really had goals from the get go, I began the project as a way to examine similarities between people of the same type-- not physical, but expressive, body language, etc. Though I did get some insight into that, the end product became more about giving each type voice, and representing both their physicality and thoughts in the images. I'm pretty used to my creative work turning out differently at times than I had originally intended, it's frustrating sometimes but I'm really happy with the end result in this case.

To be clear, I'm not looking to make money off of this at all! I'd really like to display it in a way that would either be appreciated from an artistic standpoint, or to give aid to the teaching of the Enneagram. I do think I could come up with a way to make a video that endorsed or introduced the project, but I don't think I'd go that route to display it. Something to think about though, thanks! I am definitely writing an article to accompany the images on my blog once all of them are complete.

I would suggest a website. If you're looking to make money, then I suppose enough traffic could lead to ads. IDK, I'm not a practical person either & tend to do stuff for its own sake & not have a "use" for it either, sooo... :D

Haha, I probably should have know that you'd be the same in that way. I'm doing it exactly for its own sake, thanks for understanding that. :D

That sounds great! I'd love to take a look at it, thanks for the mention!

I think some sort of copyrighted website is the best place for it. Speaking from experience, you are right to hesitate putting it on an online community, because there are many who will mercilessly rip you off and claim credit for your ideas.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a better community for it as I am a bit uprooted at present moment. Could you present it to the folks at church and/or ask them about their ideas there?

Yes, my church is probably a pretty good resource-- one woman specifically whom I've thought about approaching because she's an Enneagram teacher. Yes to the copyright of it all, though I know really nothing about what that entails-- I suppose I should figure it out. ;)

If you're looking for someone to criticise your work (maturely of course) I'm all for it, but other than that, I've no ties to any worlds where you could take this to be published.

However, I find the idea quite interesting. Reading a book about real people of certain enneagrams appeals to me more than reading a book about enneagrams, if you catch my drift. If it's a new idea, I imagine there would be publishers out there willing to put it out there.

What I can tell you about publishing is that you need to be very careful with it(If you did not already know :p Sneaky gits they are).
You need to know the publishers intentions for marketing and putting your stuff out there. Wether your product is ending up where it is supposed to be or not. Because once contracted to a particular Publisher, it's not like you can simply contract another Publisher if the previous Publisher failed to deliver. So even though you might feel like taking the first offer on the table it might be a good idea to research the particular Publisher and if possible its clients.

Enneagram Monthly seems like a great place to get recognition for your project, but it seems it would be best if you've managed to publish it before hand before seeking such recognition. If you are looking to get revenue from the project.

Hey, thanks for your thoughts! I am kind of a junkie for constructive criticism, but I've had it in this case already and am happy with how it's turned out! I'm not looking for monetary gain from this project at all. If there's anything along those lines I've thought about, it's maybe some sort of scholarship for certification (which I'm planning to pursue anyway). I'm not sure that I'm looking to publish this project either (for exactly the reasons you've sighted) but the concept of a book like this project probably would be pretty interesting. I'd feel like I would have to find a person of every variation in order to do that though, every tritype, core, instinctual variant, etc. Finding accurately typed people was the hardest part of this project, and I only needed 18! Only time with tell though I suppose, I've definitely contemplated other legs to this project. :)

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't have any good ideas about what you should do except get the copyright stuff taken care of first. It sounds awesome, I'm excited to see it!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finding accurately typed people was the hardest part of this project, and I only needed 18! Only time with tell though I suppose, I've definitely contemplated other legs to this project. :)

If it was easy, someone would have done it by now. But yes, it requires a very close and open relationship with someone to be able to confirm their type. Not something you can do with people you only meet on the internet for example. :D

Anyway, wanting to wish you good luck with your project.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
[MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION]

I'm terrible at the marketing aspect of things - but I'm glad I hired a friend who is a web developer to organize my music website. It's so easy to link people to my music and photos and videos in just one click. :D

Prior to him organizing it, I always made my own websites. They looked artistic & were organized in a creative way, but my web skills were minimal, so it felt more like a home project than something that could "get the job done," something less quirky and original, but more professional. The content can be as original as I want, but the organization had to be professional.

I bring this up as a tip I have given to creative types before. If you're more a creative type and less of an organizing/promoting/professional type, it might pay off to ask a web developing friend to organize the content you want into a website. If you have no such friends, perhaps see if you can do a basic tutorial on wordpress, which is what many pro websites are using now.

I don't ahve any suggestions beyond that, but no matter what you do - whether you get a publication or not etc, you may want to consider a website so you can show anyone you want, any time, in one click and generate a following.

Just my own thoughts. Sorry if some of this is obvious.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love the idea of a website with it. It sounds like a fascinating project and I would love to peruse it.

One thing that occurs to me IRT highlander's mention of search engines not being able to read video, is that if you make a blind-accessible all-text version of the site, the search engines can use all the transcribed text content. :)

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION], [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION] for your ideas and suggestions! I'll be sure to let you all know where you can see my project once I figure out a place for it! :)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Neat stuff, this.

I have little to add, but a website could help expand your database. Your audience could have easy access to a way to get an interview from them. I'm sure people would dig that stuff. You could even charge for the interview for more revenue, but I'd put that option on the back burner.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello again, I have an (not super exciting) update about my project. My male 4w3 ended up realizing that he's really 3w4. I'm glad he figured it out, but now I am short a participant that could prove hard to find.

Does anyone know of a male 4 in the Chicago area that might be interested in participating (it's photo, interview based)?

Thanks! :)

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More updates: I recently decided to start writing a blog about the Enneagram, which will be my platform for the project. At the moment, I'm just over-viewing core types and instincts of each first, and will post my project when I finish that! Just wanted to let anyone know, who might be interested in checking it out! :)

I'm actually pretty happy with even just my type overviews so far, as I've put together images for each and it's instincts that totally reflect my note-taking style. :D

I still am not sure about all the copyright stuff. Many people I've spoken to say it's silly to copyright because people will copy you regardless, and that I just need to be okay with that and know that no one can truly reproduce my work.