• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] (Video) Help a confused soul figure out their Enneagram type!

TheCosmicCowgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hi everyone! I typed myself as a phobic 6w5, but I was reading an article the other day and now I'm confused again... Lol, I don't know what's wrong with me but I don't think I'm a very self-aware individual. Bear with me, this video is kind of long (you don't even have to watch it all) but if you could help me in any way, shape, or form I would greatly appreciate it. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Here is the video of me babbling about all the Enneagram types in relation to myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvPxlUKQpU0

Thanks for watching!

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sorry, I can't currently access YouTube on my workplace computer. I'll try to watch it sometime soon and give feedback. Till then, let me know what you read and what's confused you about it. I'll see what I can do. :)

TheCosmicCowgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm sorry, I can't currently access YouTube on my workplace computer. I'll try to watch it sometime soon and give feedback. Till then, let me know what you read and what's confused you about it. I'll see what I can do. :)

Thanks for the reply. :) It's not so much the article I'm confused about as much as I'm just confused about myself lol. Idk, you'll just have to watch the video because I can't even think how to start typing the giant mass of confusion. Haha :blush:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, I did one of these once for my MBTI but Enneagram is a snap for me so I'm glad to give my two cents. First off, I'd say the worst way to figure out your Enneagram type off the bat is to read shallowly about every type in order. From my experience, I'd say the best way is to take a test and then read in depth into your top three or four results-- then go from there. Reading a small amount about all of the types will only overwhelm and confuse you.

6 or 9. Coming at you with a play-by-play in response to your video, just finishing it up. :)

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Observations and Questions - Quoted you in green.

- I don't know that I buy your typing as a 6 if you don't relate to Sp at all, as 6 is a very self preserving type. Not to say that there are no So/Sx 6's, there are.

- Okay, so you are a people pleaser. I'd nix 4 and 8 as possibilities pronto.

- You tested as a 2w3, and though you said you don't believe you are one, "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" is very 2. Enneagram 2's believe if they give, they deserve to receive. Something to think about.

- Despite the things you relate to about 3, I don't think you are one. You seem too brooding to be a 3 in my opinion, they are very charismatic and tend to be flashy. You don't come across that way in your video at all. The 3's I know are definitely quicker moving, animated and generally try to impress me-- you come off as a lot slower moving and sedentary.

- You have tested as a 4 but you said you push aside your own emotional needs in favor of those of others-- that's so not 4. You are also way too mellow feeling, I almost get a 9 vibe from you. Even that you relate to having no identity, "I just sort of soak up like a sponge (other's interests, beliefs, ideals)...I don't feel like any of them are my own though, that's what's weird. I just feel like everything that I am is other people around me. It's so frustrating, I don't know how to separate myself from people around me." This is from around 16:20 if you're wondering where I'm pulling the quote from. 4's define themselves as being different and would never sacrifice their individuality that way. I've known a good deal of 9's who mis-typed as 4 at first. Haha, I love your "I don't get self hatred and pain" statement, I think it's safe to say you are not, and have no connection to 4 at all. :)

At this point, my money is on 9. but let's continue...

- You resonate with 5 because you've always been an "information seeker", but you say it's so people won't "take advantage of you or think you are stupid". That feels 6 or 9 in my opinion, a 5 would seek knowledge like thirst-- there's a greed for knowledge with 5 (Avarice is their core passion) and a large obessive tendency around areas of interest. I don't get the vibe from you really. You also say that you really have no social anxiety, which even an So 5 would deal with. As I recall, Social 5's have a larger desire to impress people with their knowledge (I seem to remember them referred to as "the Expert" or some such), and again I don't get that arrogant vibe from you.

- Okay, 6. "I go along with whatever people want me to. I just do whatever it is to gain their support, or try to gain their support." I do feel the 6 vibe here with wanting support, but the way you've expressed it is actually a good deal too passive for a 6 (in my opinion). I still say 9, but perhaps with a 6 fix.

"in order to do things, you have to do it yourself. You can't rely on anybody. Which is sad, but it's the truth." I feel like you said this, not because you actually believe it, but because it's been your experience and you feel like you aren't allowed to be upset about it. From what you've said, you actually long for community and do not really feel comfortable or safe without it.

You seem super mellow and chill to me, which is not very 6. "I'm not sure if I feel like I'm really sure if I'm hardworking. I mean, I try. You know, I try, when I do things to do the best I can. But I feel like a lot of times, I have no energy...I can be really lazy sometimes." Yikes, girl. You so a 9. NINE. :happy2:

Okay, skipping your commentary on 7 and 8 because you are surely as a live, neither.

- "...fearing loss and support is almost the same thing as lacking support..." Yes, yes it is. This is where 6 and 9 are simmilar, they both highly value connection to people. "...want's to avoid conflicts and tension: yes, naturally." LOL, avoiding conflict is not a default personality trait for all people. The fact that you do is significant in determining type. "I've let a lot of people disturb me, just because I didn't want to loose them...I would just deal with it, essentially.", "I can't actually motivate myself to do anything." NINE. On the internal peace bit: It says 9's try to maintain their inner peace, not that they are always successful. I also think your conundrum with "having too much going on in your head" makes sense for a 9 with a 6 fix.

Questions: Do you see things as not your problem? How do you feel about being perceived as annoying or difficult? Would you consider yourself a planner? Do you like to be prepared, or are you more prone to wing it? Do you deal with anxiety?

Conclusion: You are a 9 with seemingly balanced wings, tritype 962.

Ps- Sorry this is so horrendously formatted, I'll probably edit this later to tidy it up. :)

-

TheCosmicCowgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Observations and Questions - Quoted you in green.

- I don't know that I buy your typing as a 6 if you don't relate to Sp at all, as 6 is a very self preserving type. Not to say that there are no So/Sx 6's, there are.

- Okay, so you are a people pleaser. I'd nix 4 and 8 as possibilities pronto.

- You tested as a 2w3, and though you said you don't believe you are one, "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" is very 2. Enneagram 2's believe if they give, they deserve to receive. Something to think about.

- Despite the things you relate to about 3, I don't think you are one. You seem too brooding to be a 3 in my opinion, they are very charismatic and tend to be flashy. You don't come across that way in your video at all. The 3's I know are definitely quicker moving, animated and generally try to impress me-- you come off as a lot slower moving and sedentary.

- You have tested as a 4 but you said you push aside your own emotional needs in favor of those of others-- that's so not 4. You are also way too mellow feeling, I almost get a 9 vibe from you. Even that you relate to having no identity, "I just sort of soak up like a sponge (other's interests, beliefs, ideals)...I don't feel like any of them are my own though, that's what's weird. I just feel like everything that I am is other people around me. It's so frustrating, I don't know how to separate myself from people around me." This is from around 16:20 if you're wondering where I'm pulling the quote from. 4's define themselves as being different and would never sacrifice their individuality that way. I've known a good deal of 9's who mis-typed as 4 at first. Haha, I love your "I don't get self hatred and pain" statement, I think it's safe to say you are not, and have no connection to 4 at all. :)

At this point, my money is on 9. but let's continue...

- You resonate with 5 because you've always been an "information seeker", but you say it's so people won't "take advantage of you or think you are stupid". That feels 6 or 9 in my opinion, a 5 would seek knowledge like thirst-- there's a greed for knowledge with 5 (Avarice is their core passion) and a large obessive tendency around areas of interest. I don't get the vibe from you really. You also say that you really have no social anxiety, which even an So 5 would deal with. As I recall, Social 5's have a larger desire to impress people with their knowledge (I seem to remember them referred to as "the Expert" or some such), and again I don't get that arrogant vibe from you.

- Okay, 6. "I go along with whatever people want me to. I just do whatever it is to gain their support, or try to gain their support." I do feel the 6 vibe here with wanting support, but the way you've expressed it is actually a good deal too passive for a 6 (in my opinion). I still say 9, but perhaps with a 6 fix.

"in order to do things, you have to do it yourself. You can't rely on anybody. Which is sad, but it's the truth." I feel like you said this, not because you actually believe it, but because it's been your experience and you feel like you aren't allowed to be upset about it. From what you've said, you actually long for community and do not really feel comfortable or safe without it.

You seem super mellow and chill to me, which is not very 6. "I'm not sure if I feel like I'm really sure if I'm hardworking. I mean, I try. You know, I try, when I do things to do the best I can. But I feel like a lot of times, I have no energy...I can be really lazy sometimes." Yikes, girl. You so a 9. NINE. :happy2:

Okay, skipping your commentary on 7 and 8 because you are surely as a live, neither.

- "...fearing loss and support is almost the same thing as lacking support..." Yes, yes it is. This is where 6 and 9 are simmilar, they both highly value connection to people. "...want's to avoid conflicts and tension: yes, naturally." LOL, avoiding conflict is not a default personality trait for all people. The fact that you do is significant in determining type. "I've let a lot of people disturb me, just because I didn't want to loose them...I would just deal with it, essentially.", "I can't actually motivate myself to do anything." NINE. On the internal peace bit: It says 9's try to maintain their inner peace, not that they are always successful. I also think your conundrum with "having too much going on in your head" makes sense for a 9 with a 6 fix.

Questions: Do you see things as not your problem? How do you feel about being perceived as annoying or difficult? Would you consider yourself a planner? Do you like to be prepared, or are you more prone to wing it? Do you deal with anxiety?

Conclusion: You are a 9 with seemingly balanced wings, tritype 962.

Ps- Sorry this is so horrendously formatted, I'll probably edit this later to tidy it up. :)

-

First of all, thank you for putting so much effort and thought into your response. I really appreciate it.

I don't know that I buy your typing as a 6 if you don't relate to Sp at all, as 6 is a very self preserving type. Not to say that there are no So/Sx 6's, there are.-

Here's the weird deal with that... I suppose I am self-preserving in the sense that I'm always looking to keep things from going wrong, and foreseeing any issues that might crop up. I am definitely a problem solver/troubleshooter. However, that usually translates to those around me as well. When we were having a financial crisis, I was willing to give up my dream to support my mom. I do feel a great deal of responsibility but I wouldn't call myself responsible. I actually hate obligations being placed on me for this reason... because I feel an overwhelming sense of pressure and I worry that I might not live up to the expectation. I actually have alot of self doubt, but I don't want anyone to know it. Staying calm and appearing in control is part of the image I want to convey. If somebody could hear what goes on inside, they wouldn't take me seriously.

Reasons I don't see myself as self-preserving is because I don't care about comfort, security, or my surroundings. In fact, if it was just me I had to worry about I would probably be a traveling musician living in the back of a van. Of course I can see all the possibilities of how that would be unsafe, and I would work to minimize those possibilities, but I would still take the risk. It would be invigorating.

Questions: Do you see things as not your problem? How do you feel about being perceived as annoying or difficult? Would you consider yourself a planner? Do you like to be prepared, or are you more prone to wing it? Do you deal with anxiety?-

1) Mmm, I'm probably more likely to take on problems even though I hate it. I have a compulsive need to try to fix things I guess.

2) I would hate to be perceived as annoying or difficult. I always want everyone to have a good opinion of me. I'm trying to stop caring so much what others think though.

3) I consider myself in terms of planning for the future but not planning my day. I like to go with the flow and keep things open ended mostly. I would say that most of my "planning" is involved around my life goal. But I can also formulate plans to when there is a problem that needs to be fixed. I would use words like visionary, troubleshooter, and problem solver to describe myself.

4) I probably vacillate between preparing or winging it. If it's something I care about, I'll probably prepare myself (mostly with as much information as I can get, researching, etc) but the rest of the time I just go with the flow. I really don't like structured, scheduled environments. I find them boring. I don't like anything too predictable.

5) I don't know that I "deal" with anxiety. It's kind of just there and fixing the problem causing it is really the only thing that makes it go away. I can temporarily try to just not think about it to make it go away, but that doesn't last long.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure thing, it's like a puzzle! :) I still very much believe you are a 9 with a 6 head fix. For the record 3, 6 and 9 all tend to take longer to type-- 3 because they've cut themselves off from who they truly are, 6 because they are skeptical and indecisive and 9 because they are self forgetting, and tend to "make themselves small". It's all of that stuff you said about being everyone else and not yourself, combined with your comments (not even talking about 9) that you can be lazy, and avoid conflict. I wouldn't call 6 a passive type at all, if fact it's one of the reactive types which means they respond to negative situations quickly and usually forcefully (whether phobic or cp). A phobic 6 friend of mine once got offended by something I said in conversation and literally just got up, yelled that she was leaving and left! I tried to reason with her, but it ended up being just one of those things where she had to calm down before she could talk about it. I'd imagine from what you said in your video, that you on the other hand would just take it and not express feeling hurt or offended in such a reactive way.

I totally see the 6 in you, but these are just some of the reasons I believe you are a 9 with a 6 fix.