• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Free Enneagram Online Summit

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This looked interesting.

Discovering how to work with our core personality patterns in a way that lets us express our unique brilliance is at the heart of living a great life.

That's why we want to invite you to a very special, no-cost online event -
The Enneagram Global Summit - taking place June 3-5.

We are honored to be featured among 20 of the world's top experts - including people like Helen Palmer, Russ Hudson and David Daniels - who will be sharing powerful insights into how you can apply the Enneagram to transforming your life.

You can sign up for free here:
==> https://shiftnetwork.infusionsoft.com/go/egsDF/DFauvre/ <==

During The Enneagram Global Summit, the biggest such event ever held online, you'll learn how you can apply the world's most influential psychological and spiritual typing system to discover your true essential nature, dramatically improve your relationships - and experience amazing shifts in ALL areas of your life.

Learn more about this very special event, which is bringing together the primary Enneagram wisdom schools online for the first time ever:

==> https://shiftnetwork.infusionsoft.com/go/egsDF/DFauvre/ <==

Register for the Enneagram Global Summit now to awaken to the gifts of your personality type - and get ready to embark on a journey that promises to super-charge your life.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gawd they really have a remarkable skill to make everything sound like a cheap infomercial.

Does look interesting. Would be keen to hear the Chestnut, Almaas and Palmer ones in particular.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gawd they really have a remarkable skill to make everything sound like a cheap infomercial.

Does look interesting. Would be keen to hear the Chestnut, Almaas and Palmer ones in particular.

I wonder how they are doing it at no cost. There must be a catch.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wonder how they are doing it at no cost. There must be a catch.

Yep, when you sign up they insta try to sell you something (access to all the talks for $100), the free covers talks as they happen and for a limited time afterwards (I expect about 24 hours). The pitch would be wanting people to pay to be able to download the talks after they're no longer free, I suspect.

Other than that, it looks legit 'free'.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Free (if inconveniently scheduled) online Enneagram Summit

There's an upcoming online "Enneagram Summit" featuring people like Helen Palmer (of narrative traditional fame), the Fauvres (of tri-type fame), etc. I thought I'd mention it, in case people were interested. It runs June 3rd through June 5th, and the schedule is here.

Note that even though it is free, one does have to register with an email address. Upon registration, one is immediately hit up for the pay for "upgrade" that grants access to a transcript and audio recordings. Feel free to resist.

(I hope, since this is free, this doesn't count as commercial promotion. If it does, mods should feel free to remove this post.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cool -- thanks for posting about this, [MENTION=8074]Seymour[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]. I'll look into it to see which ones I can swing. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If anyone participates in parts of this, perhaps you can provide a trip report of key things that you've learned or taken away from the conference and post it here.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If anyone participates in parts of this, perhaps you can provide a trip report of key things that you've learned or taken away from the conference and post it here.

I signed up for the "upgrade" (audio and transcripts), since the broadcast schedule doesn't work with my work schedule. If stuff doesn't get covered by others, I'll try to tackle it over time (no promises).

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm gradually working my way through the recordings. Here are a few notes on the first 3 from June 3rd.

The Enneagram as the Magical Path to a Fulfilling Life Through Integration, the Transformer of Life and Love with David Daniels

Generally a solid intro to the enneagram from one of the founders of the narrative school. A solid introductory presentation.

Nitpicks:
- The MC (Jessica Dibb) comes across as a little woo-woo to my taste.
- Use of the word "magical" is grating, considering all the tedious effort that goes into actually working through issues.
- Daniels occasionally gets words switched around in a few spots. Might confuse newcomers to the Enneagram.

Where the Brain, Mind, Temperament and the Enneagram Meet with Dan Siegel

aside: I really enjoyed Siegel's book, The Developing Mind (highly recommend it, if you have the patience to plow through some dense terminology and language), and his work on meditation. His other books are decent, but I found many of them to be more accessible retreads of The Developing Mind.

In this talks, he talks some about epigenetics (which I always find fascinating), and how complex the interplay between genes and the environment is.

Seigel's background in more in neurobiology, and in particular how neurobiology works in interpersonal relationship. I had never heard him talk about the enneagram before, so his perspective is interesting. Apparently he (along with some others) have done some introductory research into relating enneagram type to temperament and attachment theory.

His team's early findings are that temperament and level of attachment during childhood do not correlate to enneagram type. How securely attached someone was does correlate with mental/emotional health levels.

His other early finding is that he relates the enneagram centers to the thee basic negative emotions: anger (gut, although he thinks that's not a good term here), sadness (heart) and fear (head). He then talks about three directions of attention: inner, outer and inner/outer. Combining those predominate negative emotions and the three directions of attention yields a correspondence to the enneagram types.

He does go off on a personal theory (his own, not related to others participating in the study) about the hemispheres of the brain, relating anger to the left hemisphere, and sadness to right hemisphere. He would relate fear more with the amygdala, but suspects that it plays a roll in the other types, too. (Personally, I'm a little dubious about the relation to hemispheres of the brain to enneagram type, but time could prove me wrong.)

A Pragmatic Approach to the Enneagram with Mario Sikora

I was all ready to dislike this talk based on the first minute or two, since the speaker set off my smug, corporate, ESJ detector (forgive me: bad work experiences)... but the talk actually turned out to be pretty decent. This guy works with groups of corporate clients, and also does some personal coaching. Since his clients generally have neither the time nor inclination to become introspective enneagram experts, he focuses on how to shift their habitual patterns to be less restrictive and more flexible.

So, for an eight (and Sikora himself is an 8), he might talk about how one might be MORE powerful if one is nicer to folks (therefore reducing unnecessary conflict), and if one shares a little more about oneself. For an nine, he might talk about how one could experience MORE peace in the long run, if one faces and resolves conflicts while they are small, rather than letting them balloon into something huge.

When asked about the MBTI, says he's found the enneagram to be more useful, and that there's no correlation between MBTI type and enneagram type.

Overall, I was surprised that I like this talk. I still haven't found the enneagram to be useful in the workplace generally (except with more dysfunctional coworkers), so this talk challenged that a little bit.

Last edited:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Founders: Unique Contributions with Kathy Hurley and Jerry Wagner

This one feels a bit like sitting down and having tea with some older friends.

Kathy Hurley: Seems super sweet and midwestern. Not a ton of new material to talk about, but some good thoughts on the centers relating to Christian Theological Virtues (faith, hope and love), etc. She's also big with the superlatives, which sounds odd to me (being pretty understated, myself).

Jerry Wagner: Seems like a nice guy. A genial older 5... in charge of the peer reviewed enneagram journal (includes a plug for submission of enneagram articles based on some empirical research).

On the MBTI: "There's a loose correlation... but you can't predict one from the other."

Interestingly, he wasn't able to validate the enneagram arrows in the one study that looked into it

Wagner helpfully (I think) expressed doubt about a messianic, world-saving role for the enneagram, but says it can be helpful in personal development. That a nice dose of reality from some of the other speakers. He also expressed hope fore more empirical enneagram research (which I'm all for, but it seems to be the enneagram is more challenging that the Big Five or the MBTI that way).

(Jessica Dibb pushes back a bit in her thanks to the Shift Network, talking about "global change," etc.)

Nine Pathways to Authentic Personhood with Russ Hudson

(note: Hudson uses the word "presence" an awful lot, with a particular emphasis. Darkly amusing to imagine him saying the word "presents" like an evil kid before Christmas)

First 10 minutes are a history of Hudson's early experiences with the enneagram.

Emphasis on the enneagram as a path of growth, rather than as a typology system. The important part is "the way we spoil everything..." which is also out greatest gift. Talks more about the history of the enneagram.

Nice thumbnails of the 9 types. Interested to hear another big name author... he tends to come across as a Californian spiritual seeker. Still, I have home props for his focus on what's important and not getting lost in typing minutia.

The Somatic Enneagram and Joyful Living with Andrea Isaacs and Peter O'Hanrahan

Andrea Isaacs sounds excited and talks quickly. "Using motion to explore the enneagram types." Comes from a dancing/choreography background, and was fascinated to figure out how to embody the energies of different enneagram types. Different phrases and body poses used to access the energy of different types.

O'Hanrahan: different typical breathing patterns for different types. Type 8 might breath high in the chest (to raise energy), while nines might breathe more in the blly. So, can use active breathing practices to try to access the power of different types. Working with the body means working with the feelings.

An intriguing session... was interesting to hear people who do different kind of enneagram somatic work talk. Kind of challenging for someone who tends to have an overly internal approach to things.

The Original Purpose Of the Enneagram with A. H. Almaas

This session spends a fair amount of time on the virtues and the holy idea. In Almaas's view, the enneagram as it has been popularized has tended to focus more on the psychological aspects of the enneagram, so his talk focuses more on the spiritual aspects and the positive aspects of the enneagram. Parts of this talk were intriguing, even though personally I haven't yet gotten much use out of the positive side of the enneagram... so far all the value for me seems to be in the focus upon and awareness of unhealthy habitual defense mechanisms.

(edit: These are my very subjective, biased notes. Since my time and energy were limited, I wasn't trying to be particularly objective. I'm hoping others will post their impressions in order to create a more balanced picture)

Last edited:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Developing Authentic Integration through the Enneagram with Helen Palmer

I like Helen Palmer, but parts of this talk were a little new-age-y/paranormal for my taste. At one point, she talks about how at one point early in her career as a therapist, she would give a second opinion by meditating on a stranger's name (someone who was the client of another therapist) and then writing down her impressions. If such knowing at a distance were empirically provable, it would be a huge story. The truth is that despite people's efforts, no one has been able to show any kind of clairvoyance or telepathy exists.

She talks about how she ended up working with the enneagram, gives an overview of basic enneagram theory and types.

Overall, I enjoyed this talk. I find Palmer's non-nonsense calm approach to be effective. I was amused as she would kind of bulldoze over the interviewer, so that one question would trigger a 10 minute mini-lecture. That's typical of her. She's kind of a juggernaut when she gets rolling on a topic.

Exploring the Enneagram's 27 Instinct-Based Subtype Personalities with Beatrice Chestnut

Chestnut turns out to be a clear lecturer, and covers some of the material from her book. A solid presentation, but nothing particularly surprising. Does give a lot of credit for the basic subtype descriptions to Naranjo. This session would be good for those who aren't big readers, but who are interested in descriptions of the subtypes. There's more detail in her book than can be fit into a one hour session.

Prisons of Our Own Making with Susan Olesek (& Victor Soto)

This is the most moving presentation so far. Susuan Olesek teaches classes in prisons on the Enneagram. These turns out to be popular and, in some cases, transformative. This session includes audio excerpts of Olesek working with Victor Soto, an inmate who's been in and out of prison for most of his adult life. Soto talks about some of his early trauma, and how the enneagram has helped him get a handle on the patterns that kept landing him on prison.

It's a moving session, and one that reminds me a bit of a type panel. Good stuff.

Walking Our Talk: The Path of Integration with Marion Gilbert & Terry Saracino

I like both Gilbert and Saracino, but I found this presentation to be a little rambling and not as clear as it might be. They talk about how the enneagram tends to make it hard to ignore one's blind spots and helps to keep on honest as one works toward integration.

Helping Children Flourish: How The Enneagram Can Unlock Parenting Potential and Enhance Education with André Barreto Prudente & Tracy Tresidder

Tresidder gave a run-through of parenting strengths and weaknesses for each type. Nothing terrifically surprising, but seems like useful information for a parent. I think focusing on the enneagram type of the parent is a useful approach, since the consequences of unhealthy defense mechanisms often fall heavily on children.

Prudente talks about his work with children, and the importance of not labeling a child with a type. Unfortunately, this part of the session is hard to focus on because translation delays, long pauses, etc (granted, real time translation is an incredibly difficult and stressful task). Still, it made it hard to focus on the topic, and made Prudente's part of talk somewhat stressful to listen to and somewhat difficult to stay focused on.

Enneagram Tritype: Did You Know You Have 3 Enneagram Types? with David W. Fauvre & Katherine Chernick Fauvre

A basic introduction to the tri-types. The Fauvre's mostly resist making everything sound like a commercial/infomercial (which seems to be a weakness of theirs). Not a bad introduction to the idea of tri-types.

They put a lot of emphasis on the research and analysis they've done and that their research is empirical. They are a little vague about the statistical techniques they used for analysis. To me it sounds like they most likely trained bayesian filters with the writings of typed enneagram people, and then ran them to look for those type patterns, and found secondary and tertiary patterns in each of the non-dominate centers (body, heart, mind).

Still, it's not clear that the Fauvres themselves have a strong statistical background... they talk about working with MIT Ph.D.'s on the analysis software. Part way through the session, they get online questions from statisticians who would like access to their analysis. Maybe something more solid will come out of it.

Another interesting tidbit is that David Fauvre mentions they they didn't find empirical backing for the lines of connection (which matches my own biases).

The State of the Union of the Enneagram: Present Accomplishments, Future Visions with Jessica Dibb & Deborah Ooten

A bit heavy on the enneagram as a world transforming/messianic force to my task. Has a brief summary of each session, and a closing guided meditation that wraps things up.

Overall

For me, I think Olesek's prison session was the most moving and unexpected. I was delighted to hear Dan Siegel, whom I already liked, speak, and especially that he is working on empirical research on the enneagram. Getting his impressions about they've discovered so far was a big bonus. Olesek and Siegel would probably be my top two sessions, over all.

Someone who is newer to the enneagram or wants a refresher would not doubt find other sessions more useful.

Hearing from Chestnut and the Fauvres was nice, but didn't add a lot beyond what I'd read on them already. Tresidder's application of the enneagram to parenting seemed practical and useful.

Otherwise, I didn't find a whole lot of new information. It was interesting to listen to some of the big name enneagram folks, and get impressions of their styles. Gibb, as general MC/interviewer, made me roll me eyes at points, but she definitely did a good job of keeping things moving and staying time conscious.