• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram 8: Why can't I ask you guys questions?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I had an ESTP 8 boss who was like this everytime I asked him to clarify something (and I really had to ask him because he was extremely picky about work being done exactly the way he wanted, and the way he wanted was fairly different from my natural style). Not to mention whenever anyone said something that went "over his head" - comment: "lol he's really stupid he can't even explain his ideas".

I understand it's often a matter of being time-sensitive when there's a lot of stuff to do, but then you're asking the people around you to be mind readers rather than hard workers.

I am in a similar situation now. And the bold is what I've noticed. I find it to be a ridiculous expectation.

2) Another point that I would like to make is that many times in doing a task or trying to understand something, when I am asking my boatload of questions, it angers the 8's. So what I will do is just not ask questions in order to avoid confrontation. Then, once it's actually time to do the task, I won't know how to do it, and the 8 will look at me like I'm an incompetent dipshit. You are damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Again. I'm in a similar situation with the same 8 boss as mentioned above, and my conclusion is the bold.

(And I'd just like to point out the wonderfully useless irony of this thread....asking 8's why you can't ask them. Funny stuff. Ha)

The best approach with 8s is: Be direct. If you've asked them once, and don't get it, ask someone else to explain in a different manner, if you cannot do that it is better to annoy them for clarification then do it wrong (just don't apologise over and over while you're asking), both approaches can be unappreciated but the latter is much worse.

Plus what Jock said.

Yea, I used to do this.

I don't even bother asking anymore though. It's to the point that I don't care about the 8 anymore. So if I get it wrong, it's cause I wasn't trained right, not cause I'm stupid, and not cause I didn't ask. Oh well for them, shit happens.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2) My problem is that I have an 8w9 co-worker ...
Wait, the guy you're writing this about is your co-worker? So, you don't actually work for him anyway? So you don't have to do anything he tells you, and you don't have to ask questions to clarify what you need to do?

If so, I think that's your answer.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't even bother asking anymore though. It's to the point that I don't care about the 8 anymore. So if I get it wrong, it's cause I wasn't trained right, not cause I'm stupid, and not cause I didn't ask. Oh well for them, shit happens.

At the end I did this and I had to eventually change jobs, much to the dismail of some colleagues who were better than me at "mind reading".

A

Anew Leaf

I don't think such responses are the sole glory of the 8. There is, on occasion, simply too many questions being asked and one must throw ones hands up in the air ala surrender in the form of "OMG IM DONE."

I have to deal with my INTP father at my business on occasion during the week, and while at times it IS beneficial to have the power house of investigative functions working its magic upon the computers... it is another thing entirely to say "I want X done" and discover that my decision has now become a tug of war of details and facts which to me seem to be so obvious as to be dancing in glittering seductive costumes with a trick pony at their side to the point where I throw down the iron wall of "JUST DO IT AND DONT WONDER ABOUT IT" which drives him insane for he must know ALL THE REASONS.

Overly curious NeTi should realize that like the ant, the only thing between it and death by pudding is the strength of the pudding's skin.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the end I did this and I had to eventually change jobs, much to the dismail of some colleagues who were better than me at "mind reading".

Yea, some people either:

1)care to try to figure other ppl out

2)or instinctively know what other ppl want , etc..

I'm neither one of those types of ppl. And I find it an absurd idea that I would need to be. Just tell me how to do the job and I'll be running circles around you in no time. If you don't put in that initial effort with me though, you are your own drain to the company. Not my problem.

And thankfully I'm just working so I can gain experience, start school again, and then I'll move on to my preferred field. I find that I can handle it only because I keep those end goals in mind.

And if it ever gets to be too annoying, I have no real energy invested. So ironically I'm thankful to the 8 for that lol.

(Also, I am apprehensive to change jobs because there's always going to be another 8....in one form or another. So I don't want to feel like I'm running away from my problems.)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

Usually I get angry about that because whatever I just said probably took a lot of effort to say in the first place. I don't mind repeating myself when someone didn't hear me.. but when they did? and I just told them something pretty personal and shared something vulnerable only to get back "wait, what?" as if they weren't paying attention in the first place? Immediately annoying. Instead of saying "Wait, repeat that again?" it's much, much better to ask, "I understood you saying you x, but not y. Is that right? Why?"

Ok thank you so much. That is actually a very good idea. From now on, I won't just say, "I don't understand". I will say, "I understand this" and "I understand that" but can you clarify this part? That's actually a really good idea.

I
t is rather annoying, and I'm entirely guilty of it. If a date pisses me off, I assume he knows WHY I'm mad. Typically he doesn't though. But to me it's really obvious--even if you DIDN'T know, just think back to when my mood changed.. what did you say/do right before then? What happened then? It's a better clue to say, "Why did me saying you're thin piss you off?" than "What did I do?! I didn't do ANYTHING!"

Yeah, you have to work on that.
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]

Yes...this. For me, these indirect, proby-poky, 'feel you out' questions are the worst. I hate sneakiness.

Yeah, I have learned to curve any type of passive-aggressive tendencies with 8's. Eights tend to absolute despise passive-aggression any in way, shape, or form. Eights want you to be very upfront and direct with them. However, it can be very hard to be upfront with 8's and many of them don't seem to understand why this is. 8's in general tend to be very abrasive and can easily come off as scary to most people. So what happens is that people tend to avoid them like the plague. People tend to go behind 8's backs and tend to avoid them because they are so afraid to face them. Then when people go behind the 8's backs, they see it as being unloyal, as being sneaky, and as being untrustworthy. This is another thing that makes type 8's hard to deal with.
[MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

I'll answer a question and help you get the concept the first time.

From there you either get it or you don't.

This is why I have hated every ennegram 8 professor that I have ever known.
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]

Well let me ask you this. If you had to explain a task that someone did every day, same time, same way and still asked for clarification, where would you draw the line and say - you can't learn this and I can't explain it any more clearly? Maybe it wouldn't have to be repeated if that person seeking clarification learned it another way, for instance. Why is your learning placed on us? That's probably what is so angering for 8's, although I can't say for sure for every 8.

Yeah, it would get very annoying to explain the same task over and over again. However, my quarrel with 8's is that they generally don't even want to explain the same task even more than once. 8's just don't realize that sometimes people just don't get something right off the bat.

[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION]

I fully, whole-heartedly agree with this description. I only differ in the sense that..ugh.. it turns me on.. <3
Or at least, my ex turns me on.
I love that man so hard.

Admittedly my Sp-8 friend is very easy to deal with in comparison.

It was basically a paraphrasing of Naranjo's sexual 8 description.
[MENTION=10808]andante[/MENTION]

So if an 8 says 'hi', do you wonder if they want to kill you and insist that's the case since that's the nature of the beast?

It's not just me who thinks this. 8's tend to have a way of carrying themselves where they just exert aggressive energy and people perceive it that way. 8's often don't understand just how aggressive that they come off to others. There may be no intended aggression on the 8's part, but that's how it comes off to other people.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]

Again. I'm in a similar situation with the same 8 boss as mentioned above, and my conclusion is the bold.

Yeah 8's are generally not my favorite enneagram type, but I created this thread as AN ATTEMPT to try find out how to get along with them.

(And I'd just like to point out the wonderfully useless irony of this thread....asking 8's why you can't ask them. Funny stuff. Ha)

Perhaps a better title for this thread would be, "Asking 8's to explain the things that they consider common sense".
[MENTION=18576]Sanjuro[/MENTION]

Wait, the guy you're writing this about is your co-worker? So, you don't actually work for him anyway? So you don't have to do anything he tells you, and you don't have to ask questions to clarify what you need to do?

If so, I think that's your answer.

I work in security and though the guy is not my "official manager", he is the patrol officer and when the boss is gone, he is the next one in charge.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
My boss is an 8 I suspect, but I learnt very early on to be direct and not be particularly nervous about asking questions.

I still get many things wrong because it's a highly detailed job and memorising steps is my weakest trait work wise, but I generally just let her criticisms wash over me and accept that sometimes I'll just forget information from time to time.

We actually work quite well together because of this.

PS: if you hadn't noticed, 8's don't really like sharing any information they deem not your business, unfortunately it can be a tough job even working out what is or isn't your business in their eyes. I remember the countless arguments I used to get into with my old stock room manager about his method for organising the stock.

A lot of not my business going on there and yet I had to keep raising the point that if I'm working there it very much is my fucking business, thanks.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah, I have learned to curve any type of passive-aggressive tendencies with 8's. Eights tend to absolute despise passive-aggression any in way, shape, or form. Eights want you to be very upfront and direct with them. However, it can be very hard to be upfront with 8's and many of them don't seem to understand why this is. 8's in general tend to be very abrasive and can easily come off as scary to most people. So what happens is that people tend to avoid them like the plague. People tend to go behind 8's backs and tend to avoid them because they are so afraid to face them. Then when people go behind the 8's backs, they see it as being unloyal, as being sneaky, and as being untrustworthy. This is another thing that makes type 8's hard to deal with.

The idea is, if you need the information, then you need it. If you don't, why are you asking at all? If you're needing to ask, then ask and be upfront about it. Give the situation some dignity and respect. It isn't like all of us are immediately going to bite someone heads off. In fact, I've had people frequently tell me I seem really scary, bitchy, cold-hearted... then when they get to know me, all those ideas vanish. It's a delusion people have--but they'll never get over it if they don't make steps to do so. I can't change someone's mind actively, they'll figure out if I'm really all those things or not on their own. Even if it's scary.. It isn't like there isn't anyone that intimidates me in my life either. Yet I get up there and do it. Because it is a sign of respect. I have a lot of trouble talking about my feelings, and it takes a lot to muster up that strength to do so.. but it's okay, and I do it, because I know it's important and there's a degree of health to it.

I have never, ever heard anyone saying they felt more respected with passive-aggressive behavior. Not even quiet, shy, mousy people. And anything that can be mistaken for passive-aggressive behavior is more abrasive to me than anything you would ever say to me straight up, and immediately puts me on the defense. If it's someone I know well enough, it is easy for me to look past that. But I don't know many people THAT well.

:laugh: To be fair, teachers ought to have extensive training about how to properly teach students. I don't really have any problems getting a student to finally learn a subject regardless of how many times and ways I have to explain it.

Yeah, it would get very annoying to explain the same task over and over again. However, my quarrel with 8's is that they generally don't even want to explain the same task even more than once. 8's just don't realize that sometimes people just don't get something right off the bat.

It's a frustration, sure. But that's something 8s just work on with themselves. Because, really, no one gets EVERYTHING the first go-around in their lives. Frequently, though, I found that many people not getting a task immediately are not getting it because of distractions or a lack of paying attention--they didn't hear it the first time, they were on their phones, they didn't care then, they were daydreaming, and then they ask again because they realized too late important stuff was being said/done. So it is grating when you see that so constantly and frequently, and you're going to sometimes get mad at people who genuinely had real distractions they couldn't help, but it is what it is.

It's not just me who thinks this. 8's tend to have a way of carrying themselves where they just exert aggressive energy and people perceive it that way. 8's often don't understand just how aggressive that they come off to others. There may be no intended aggression on the 8's part, but that's how it comes off to other people.

:( I've learned the hard way that this is exactly how I come off. Nearly everyone I knew in the army thought I was a terrible scary person when they first met me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
but I generally just let her criticisms wash over me

lol. Completely impossible for me. If you are not providing me the required information in a very detailed fashion, I will make it clear that it's also YOUR fault if you start criticizing me. Needless to say I'm not that loved as an employee by most "aggressive" bosses. Tbh in my experience 8s don't really like it anyway if you are very upfront and abrasive, just like them. They'll respect your for that but they'll also try to get rid of you as soon as possible. My current boss is a 2 and while he can be a bit histrionic, he knows how to talk with people as actual human beings - and that's enough for me.

Anyway, I once had a very fruitful relationship with an 8 boss because he came around as I was very experienced in that specific job, so he let me do my stuff without being too controlling but still very fair. That was cool.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

The idea is, if you need the information, then you need it. If you don't, why are you asking at all? If you're needing to ask, then ask and be upfront about it. Give the situation some dignity and respect. It isn't like all of us are immediately going to bite someone heads off. In fact, I've had people frequently tell me I seem really scary, bitchy, cold-hearted... then when they get to know me, all those ideas vanish. It's a delusion people have--but they'll never get over it if they don't make steps to do so. I can't change someone's mind actively, they'll figure out if I'm really all those things or not on their own. Even if it's scary.. It isn't like there isn't anyone that intimidates me in my life either. Yet I get up there and do it. Because it is a sign of respect. I have a lot of trouble talking about my feelings, and it takes a lot to muster up that strength to do so.. but it's okay, and I do it, because I know it's important and there's a degree of health to it.

Some 8's are better at answering questions then others. For instance, I have one 8w7 sp/sx manager and he seems annoyed when you continually ask him questions, but he will just take a deep breath and answer them for you. I think he has come to realize the fact that he comes off as abrasive to others, and has really tended to curb that tendency. The other 8w9 patrol guy is just a pain in the ass: he will laugh at you and he will look at you like you're a moron for asking him questions. I'm better at asking the 8w7 manager questions, but poor at asking the 8w9 guy. It really depends more on the maturity level of the particular 8 in question for me.

To be fair, teachers ought to have extensive training about how to properly teach students. I don't really have any problems getting a student to finally learn a subject regardless of how many times and ways I have to explain it.

Probably because you are an ENFP. They have Fi and tend to be a bit more empathetic than other 8's. God forbid if it's an ENTJ 8, then I just say, "Fuck it" and don't even try anymore. ENTJ's already hate to repeat themselves, if you combine that with core 8, then it's just plain hopeless.

It's a frustration, sure. But that's something 8s just work on with themselves. Because, really, no one gets EVERYTHING the first go-around in their lives. Frequently, though, I found that many people not getting a task immediately are not getting it because of distractions or a lack of paying attention--they didn't hear it the first time, they were on their phones, they didn't care then, they were daydreaming, and then they ask again because they realized too late important stuff was being said/done. So it is grating when you see that so constantly and frequently, and you're going to sometimes get mad at people who genuinely had real distractions they couldn't help, but it is what it is.

Yes, I am very guilty of daydreaming and not paying attention. I have ADD from hell, but I've improved over the years.

I've learned the hard way that this is exactly how I come off. Nearly everyone I knew in the army thought I was a terrible scary person when they first met me.

I'm glad you've become more self-aware over the years.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Needless to say I'm not that loved as an employee by most "aggressive" bosses. Tbh in my experience 8s don't really like it anyway if you are very upfront and abrasive, just like them. They'll respect your for that but they'll also try to get rid of you as soon as possible.

This is also my impression of 8's as bosses. They don't like me speaking my mind, HA. And forget about it when my E4 coworker goes off! It kills our 8 boss that we are as good at our jobs (even though she's never provided us with proper training to be as good as we are.) so she can't just get rid of us. It's awesome lol.

My current boss is a 2 and while he can be a bit histrionic, he knows how to talk with people as actual human beings - and that's enough for me.
Yes. So much this. I don't need much. In any relationship frankly. I can endure quite a bit as long as they show respect to me.

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
Every enneagram 8 that I have ever known absolutely hates me to ask them questions. They like to get straight and to the point with things, and they want you to get something as fast as possible. Another thing is that if you don't just get something right off the bat, and need to ask more questions to clarify, then they look at you like you are some kind of idiot or something. Oh, and God forbid you need them to repeat themselves, then they really hate you. Has anyone else experienced this with type 8's.
I'm laughing :D

With 8s, sometimes you've got to roll with the punches.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I don't have as much problem with 8s as some people appear to.

In fact I only know of three 8s and they adore me to pieces and I adore them to pieces.
I don't say that confidently about many people.

Most people, I am not totally sure what they think of me. With 8s I can say with confidence, they adore me. Because they show it. They protect and nurture the friendship. They care.

Yes they fire back if I ask stupid questions or say off-base things, but this is just honesty. It's not a threat. It's communication. They're a bit quicker to say "no its not like that" than I would be, but I like it. Why waste time? It's inspiring.

If I'm asking excessive or unnecessary questions, I feel good that someone thinks I'm strong enough and smart enough to figure it out on my own. That shows he/she has confidence in me.

I don't have the problems with 8s that are being mentioned here. I can agree that a lot of the behavior cited, is 8ish or applies to the 8s I know in various degrees, but it doesn't bother me.

The 8s I know, don't like things that are fake.
I'm not fake.
Thus, we get along.

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
I don't have as much problem with 8s as some people appear to.

In fact I only know of three 8s and they adore me to pieces and I adore them to pieces.
I don't say that confidently about many people.

Most people, I am not totally sure what they think of me. With 8s I can say with confidence, they adore me. Because they show it. They protect and nurture the friendship. They care.

Yes they fire back if I ask stupid questions or say off-base things, but this is just honesty. It's not a threat. It's communication. They're a bit quicker to say "no its not like that" than I would be, but I like it. Why waste time? It's inspiring.

If I'm asking excessive or unnecessary questions, I feel good that someone thinks I'm strong enough and smart enough to figure it out on my own. That shows he/she has confidence in me.

I don't have the problems with 8s that are being mentioned here. I can agree that a lot of the behavior cited, is 8ish or applies to the 8s I know in various degrees, but it doesn't bother me.

The 8s I know, don't like things that are fake.
I'm not fake.
Thus, we get along.
You are lying, I call you out on your ballogna-filled hoax.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
You are lying, I call you out on your ballogna-filled hoax.
Why would I lie about that? What could I possibly gain from inventing that post?
And why would you care if I was lying, anyhow?

"INTJ 8w9" (questionable combination), with some smug avatar and a try-hard pose,
"calling someone out" on lying on an internet forum for a completely innocuous post (why?), using dramatic terms like "bolagna-filled hoax" lmao.

Why do I even respond..
*facepalm*

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
Why would I lie about that? What could I possibly gain from inventing that post?
And why would you care if I was lying, anyhow?

"INTJ 8w9" (questionable combination), with some smug avatar and a try-hard pose,
"calling someone out" on lying on an internet forum for a completely innocuous post (why?), using dramatic terms like "bolagna-filled hoax" lmao.

Why do I even respond..
*facepalm*
Hey hey now, lol, I was just poking fun at you, no need to get feisty :p I know you are genuine no need to get offended.

Surprising to hear I come off try hard, but that avatar is the real me :) And Tem is short for Temur which is my real name :) Nothing phony here, you are welcome to FB friend me if you'd like.

There are no questionable combinations, as everyone is different :)

á´…eparted

passages

You know, now that I reflect on it, I don't think I have ever had an 8 professor.

The nastiest professor I've ever had is actually a 1. He tried to cause me trouble yesterday, but it didn't work :D.

rav3n

Clearly, reality is irrelevant and presumptions rule. Hm. Not certain why 8s would have a problem with you...

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
Clearly, reality is irrelevant and presumptions rule. Hm. Not certain why 8s would have a problem with you...
No, what he said is right. 8s may not be exuding this 100% of the time but he is right.