• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Type Six and their MBTI

LadyMary

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems to me that type six has more trouble deciding on their enneagram type the the other eight types. At least it's been that way for me. Sixes don't trust their own minds, they often turn to friends, books, ect to help settle things. I go back and forth between ISFJ and ISFP, depending. I might say that I'm ISFJ, but then I'll think: "Oh but the book says ISFJs are hard working! I'm not hard working, therefore, I'm not ISFJ. Or I may think I am ISFP, but then someone will remark that I seem very ISFJ to them, and I'll think they must be right. You see where I'm going with this? We don't trust our own minds with most things in life, why would we with this? Do any other sixes experience this? Just something I was thinking about today, thanks for letting me ramble!:D

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not a 6, but I did have trouble determining my MBTI (and my enneagram type as well).

The problem isn't necessarily your mind in this case, it's the fact that descriptions suck until you can really build an understanding of the enneatypes as psychological underpinnings, not as a list of behaviors you are expected to conform to.

The MBTI is even worse--most who study it in any depth eventually convert to using cognitive functions, since the dichotomy is unreliable on any number of grounds, and the descriptions are biased in favor of certain personality preferences that have little to do with the actual mental processes. MANY people have this problem with MBTI, not just 6s.

I feel ya, though, as someone who's always tested ISTP and never saw it (because I later discovered I'm an ENTP). And I've heard reports similar to yours from other 6s as well fwiw.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems to me that type six has more trouble deciding on their enneagram type the the other eight types. At least it's been that way for me. Sixes don't trust their own minds, they often turn to friends, books, ect to help settle things. I go back and forth between ISFJ and ISFP, depending. I might say that I'm ISFJ, but then I'll think: "Oh but the book says ISFJs are hard working! I'm not hard working, therefore, I'm not ISFJ. Or I may think I am ISFP, but then someone will remark that I seem very ISFJ to them, and I'll think they must be right. You see where I'm going with this? We don't trust our own minds with most things in life, why would we with this? Do any other sixes experience this? Just something I was thinking about today, thanks for letting me ramble!:D

Yeah I over think the crap out of everything.EVERYTHING.

Also, I will unconsciously take a poll of peoples opinions.... I don't even know I'm doing it til I go back home and try to correspond everyone's answer so that there are no contradictions. And it's when there are contradicting answers... thats when I question even deeper. Only to lead myself to more self doubt.