• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Ideas on Enneagram Misidentification

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
One of the aspects of the MBTi that most interested me would definitely be the clarification of role reversals under stress. Often times, a person will shift to the polar opposite of their types to handle extreme stress. An ENTp may become an ISFj, an ESFj might become an INTp, and in my case: I INFp becomes an ESTj. A natural response to situations that may normally be unconquerable. In the case of INFp's, it's more noticeable than usual, but I'm fairly certain it's there for everyone. It is hardly the same under the case of Enneagram Misidentification, and while it is by no means a stress response and not even a polar opposite, an examination might be worth the few extra synapse jumps.

Just for the sake of an example, in my case I am 9w1, but every now and then -depending on my mood -I will score as a type 5. I originally agreed with the idea! I was intelligent, and devoted to science and learning, but the 9 fit much greater. In the case of the 5, it explained my constant need to prove myself to others, to contribute the discoveries I have made, and to learn something new for myself, but the type didn't account for self-consciousness, passiveness, and my affinity for understanding emotions. While the nine had a much more simplified explanation of motivations, it had the only explanation for my internalized emotional problems and skills.

I accepted 9 in the end, because while lacked the specifics of my scientific interests, it did explain the core aspects of my personality and the building-blocks of my image much more accurately. I still, however, have not abandoned the idea of being, to some degree, a 5. Perhaps the two could work in tandem? One could represent the core of the individual, and be a stand-alone title for their personality, but perhaps to truly understand the dept of an individual, and the unpredictable undulations of the human mind, we would need a second to direct the first.

To be fair, 9s are known for a lack of self-image, and I am bipolar, but at the very least you could humor me! :newwink:

If you could, could I have you all write up any misidentifications you've faced, ideas on the phenomenon, or corrections to my assumptions you can find? Thanks!

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Herein lies the beauty of tritypes.
Hm! That's actually really interesting! I am proud that I psuedo thought of it before you sent it, because now I get to feel smart :D ha!

Anyways, according to this I am a 9w1, 5w6, 3w2