• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm Hopelessly Confused about my Enneatype.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello everyone, I'm really confused about my enneatype. I believe that for INFJ's the most common types are 1's, 4's, and 9's.

I first came on believing I was a type 4, and online and offline I score 4 almost every time, when I over-think, I get 5 or 9.

If I am a 4, I believe I would be a 4w5, I do have interest in science or anything that sparks my curiosity, I search it up on the internet or ask others. I am in love in finding new information. As a 4, I connect to being sensitive and display myself through fashion primarily, I grew up liking the way my hair being done in a certain way, and certain styles appealed me a very INFP approach towards personal tastes. I primarily avoid sports if I can, but sometimes succumb to peer pressure if some makes me. However, if my friends tell me that looks weird, or if I start to feel my clothes weren't the best choice I might switch to another style (Fe to Fi clash)

If I am a 1, only the healthy apply in most cases, I have been arguing against my dad (parental orientation is disconnected from patriarchal figure). I remember a situation where I argued against my Dad, what I believed that my rationale was more toward common sense and why he didn't let me do certain things.

If I am a 9 *this might or does sounds 4ish* , I tend to blur out from people's conversation and fantasize and think about my own problems or think of a woman I am very fond of, or of a memorable experience I one time had with a person I am blurring out on. Ihate conflict, but if I am backed up on making a decision, I stick to one choice, just to end it hopefully. I do come up people directly and tell them that I am sorry, and sometimes others are hated to be reminded that I am trying to tell that I was in the wrong and they're in the right. Even if they don't forgive, at least I am content with my part if I am not too fond on the person.

I believe 4w5 is more likely than 5w4, I grew up to be a loner because I felt like nobody could connect with me and I was desperately searching for that one who could understand me. To this point in my life, it is somewhat still of a search, but I am more real with myself today, having to do to get what I want, whether career-wise, relationship-wise, or personal taste-wise. I've been told I am attractive by many of the opposite sex, and I am very shallow about meeting women, but I have no problems being friends with any of them. This has somewhat got me to thinking of being a 4w3, but I could be wrong.

When I grow up, I want to have plenty of cash to cushion myself on as I age, and I have only little interest in politics which is unfortunate, but it helps me to have less anxiety throughout my years. One thing less to worry on. (Sounds 9ish?)

I mistaken myself as a 6 is because sometimes I may submit myself to authority to get through the least trouble if I see the end result worth it, I can switch if the end isn't worth it or I've been sugarcoated about it (Does that make sense?) The parentheses thing sounds very seeking for approval too. I believe I am very self-aware and that can lead me back to a 4 as well.

I am afraid mostly of 8 types or ESP's being very upfront with me. But they don't disturb me as long as it is a once in awhile thing.

I can be extroverted for reasons of me wanting to attain more information on something, or to find an ideal partner.

Also, do instinctual variants vary for the same person for different types? If you believe on the tri-type theory, I believe enneagram believes that you are always one core type, just as MBTI but more fluid if I that is what I am understanding.

Feel free to ask any questions. After typing this down, I feel inclined to type myself as 4w5, but I have been very instinctual on that, so I'll wait a little.

Thanks so much!

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From your post, my instinct is that you're a 9 with a 4 fix, but I could be wrong. I definitely don't think 1 or 5 fits you. Most of the 4-ish qualities you described (sensitivity, strong tastes, tendency to fantasize) are common for INFx 9s, but not indicative of having the 4's core problem of shame.

Which is more of a core issue for you: feeling unimportant and powerless, like a little speck of dust in a vast universe that doesn't acknowledge you or feeling simultaneously special and defective/flawed and like the universe singled you out somehow?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20761]underwaterthing[/MENTION]

Thanks for your response. That's a very good question. I think feeling unimportant and powerless, like a little speck of dust in a vast universe that doesn't acknowledge me, I think that sounds more of a 9 to me, if that's what you're getting to. :huh:

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd hazard a guess at 9 based on your OP. Prolly 9w1.

This, here, is textbook 9ness. Not 4ish at all.
If I am a 9 *this might or does sounds 4ish* , I tend to blur out from people's conversation and fantasize and think about my own problems or think of a woman I am very fond of, or of a memorable experience I one time had with a person I am blurring out on. Ihate conflict, but if I am backed up on making a decision, I stick to one choice, just to end it hopefully. I do come up people directly and tell them that I am sorry, and sometimes others are hated to be reminded that I am trying to tell that I was in the wrong and they're in the right. Even if they don't forgive, at least I am content with my part if I am not too fond on the person.

You've also noted some sort of connection to 6, which a 9 will have.

Maybe 945 tritype?

Thanks for your response. That's a very good question. I think feeling unimportant and powerless, like a little speck of dust in a vast universe that doesn't acknowledge me, I think that sounds more of a 9 to me, if that's what you're getting to.
This also is 9. 4s tend to have a sense of themselves as being more "special", "different", "unique", etc.--they're image types, and they still crave mirroring in others. So they can have a greater sense of their own importance and then feel offended that no one recognizes this.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd hazard a guess at 9 based on your OP. Prolly 9w1.

This, here, is textbook 9ness. Not 4ish at all.

You've also noted some sort of connection to 6, which a 9 will have.

Maybe 945 tritype?

This also is 9. 4s tend to have a sense of themselves as being more "special", "different", "unique", etc.--they're image types, and they still crave mirroring in others. So they can have a greater sense of their own importance and then feel offended that no one recognizes this.

9w1 Seems interesting because although I am not I guess you could say "actively" aggressive, which removes me from the 8 wing more, the 1 wing is very black and white'ish and has a strong stance on what is right and what is wrong, I am very into grayness into any issue regardless if the situation involves me or not a lot of the time, only once in a while will I stick up for something, so would I be a 9w1 (weak) or a weak balanced nine? I also saw myself as a 1 because I tend to be stiffer and "principled" than others (unfortunately, but I have went out of my comfort zone to prove people wrong)

I guess, are 4's really that much of an attention seeker? I want to make a difference and be recognized in the world, so I guess I would be integrating to 3..

Now the 945 tritype makes me seem I am a very withdrawn person, can a 459 tritype ignore the weight of the world and be his/her own? I guess it is possible, anything is.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which is more of a core issue for you: feeling unimportant and powerless, like a little speck of dust in a vast universe that doesn't acknowledge you or feeling simultaneously special and defective/flawed and like the universe singled you out somehow?

[MENTION=20761]underwaterthing[/MENTION]

Thanks for your response. That's a very good question. I think feeling unimportant and powerless, like a little speck of dust in a vast universe that doesn't acknowledge me, I think that sounds more of a 9 to me, if that's what you're getting to. :huh:

Right, I meant that feeling unimportant and powerless is more of a 9 issue, while feeling both special and defective is more of a 4 issue. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
9w1 Seems interesting because although I am not I guess you could say "actively" aggressive, which removes me from the 8 wing more, the 1 wing is very black and white'ish and has a strong stance on what is right and what is wrong, I am very into grayness into any issue regardless if the situation involves me or not a lot of the time, only once in a while will I stick up for something, so would I be a 9w1 (weak) or a weak balanced nine? I also saw myself as a 1 because I tend to be stiffer and "principled" than others (unfortunately, but I have went out of my comfort zone to prove people wrong)
Well just the fact that you said you could identify with 1 made me thing it could be a wing. There are many who feel that you have both wings, myself included, so it's possible for you to be balanced, or not particularly favor one over the other.

I guess, are 4's really that much of an attention seeker? I want to make a difference and be recognized in the world, so I guess I would be integrating to 3..
Yeah, that could be 3. Not all 4s are attention seekers, per se, but they are an image type and how they are coming across in the eyes of others will always play a role.

Now the 945 tritype makes me seem I am a very withdrawn person, can a 459 tritype ignore the weight of the world and be his/her own? I guess it is possible, anything is.
It's more that you would use a lot of withdrawing strategies--going into your mind and contemplating as the first line of defense.. My mom's a 9 of this tritype, and yeah, she's pretty insular. She's easily drained and doesn't like to do too many things in one day in order to maintain her equilibrium. She's pretty much "her own", I'd say.

Examine yourself for motivations as well as the behaviors inherent in each type, and that should help clarify things a bit.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Right, I meant that feeling unimportant and powerless is more of a 9 issue, while feeling both special and defective is more of a 4 issue. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

Well just the fact that you said you could identify with 1 made me thing it could be a wing. There are many who feel that you have both wings, myself included, so it's possible for you to be balanced, or not particularly favor one over the other.

Yeah, that could be 3. Not all 4s are attention seekers, per se, but they are an image type and how they are coming across in the eyes of others will always play a role.

It's more that you would use a lot of withdrawing strategies--going into your mind and contemplating as the first line of defense.. My mom's a 9 of this tritype, and yeah, she's pretty insular. She's easily drained and doesn't like to do too many things in one day in order to maintain her equilibrium. She's pretty much "her own", I'd say.

Examine yourself for motivations as well as the behaviors inherent in each type, and that should help clarify things a bit.

I guess I would call myself a 1 wing then, now I guess I am a sexual instinct type? I am more imaginative and sensual I believe for one. I can be child-like as well I suppose. The social and self-preserve instinct I am not too sure of as of now.

I can feel like your mom too on some day, but other days I'm energized and ready to take on the day I will do that.

Thank you both for your participation.

so/sx 9w1

They want to contribute something new and passionate to society, but feel like too much of a social nonentity to do it. They may view themselves as 4ish due to issues around uniqueness, but these issues only arise because of how aware they are that others possess a sense of self, which only reinforces the 9's sense of nothingness....Since they know they lack a strong self, they lack hope about contributing something original. They resolve the quagmire either by spinning their wheels with fruitless and endless self-examination hoping to discover something deep about themselves or by conforming to various personalities and completely checking out. They are dispassionate in general but can seem more passionate, sad, or lively because they comply to a Oneish social instinct in the back of their head telling them how they should react and what's appropriate. They know underneath how internally unaffected they are. They are taken back by the possibilities of things they could imagine happening without stirring a real reaction in them and find it disturbing to think about how they could merge into anything... They can seem 7-like in their draw to books, people, beliefs, and adventures, but they are drawn to these outlets in hopes of receiving a sense of perspective and self. They have a nose for unconscious structures and may create a new language around patterns, themes, or archetypes in myths, traditions, history, and groups. They are easy to mistype because they can seem to run fully on the 'software" or agendas of different types. They may search for approval and validation like a 3, but reject the approval once they get it as if wondering why they would be worthy of admiration or attention in the first place. It's the 'agenda' 'software' itself they are addicted to, not the result.

Last edited:

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hello everyone, I'm really confused about my enneatype. I believe that for INFJ's the most common types are 1's, 4's, and 9's.
Actually, it may elp if we break the nine groups into three sets: body(1,9,8), heart(2,3,4), and mind(5,6,7). As you said, you were a 1, a 4, or a 9. The nine is a body type, the four is a heart type, and for the sake of argument I'm gonna pretend the 1 doesn't exist! :newwink:

Anyways, there is an interesting theory that I subscribe to that states that while we all have a core type that defines them, the way we live our life, deal with stress, and adapt to our environment relies heavily on sub-typing. The tritype theory states that each individual has a body, mind, and heart typing. In my case, my core is purely a 9w1. I live my life as a "Peacekeeper," but when my mind is involved and wen problems arise, it can be attributed to my second type: the "investigator" (5w6). On the rare chance that I must actually use my emotions, I would use my emotions -and it is rare -I revert to my 3w2 "charmer" side. I have rarely shown much of the last, but it is clearly a part of me.

As for you, I think it would be fair to guess you are also a 9w1 "Investigator." Seeing as both were in your top three, I would guess it was your core trait. As for your secondary, a 4w5 fit's nicely. If you need to think long and hard, that would be the way to do it.

As for your heart try finding out if your tritype works here: http://enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html

The site is a little wonky, so I can't guarantee that it will get your order right, but It should atleast give you your three types withh some degree of accuracy. It did for me!

renaiziphonts

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
9W1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, it looks like you already have a bit of information on tritypes, but to answer your question, I think your variant would stay the same.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, it may elp if we break the nine groups into three sets: body(1,9,8), heart(2,3,4), and mind(5,6,7). As you said, you were a 1, a 4, or a 9. The nine is a body type, the four is a heart type, and for the sake of argument I'm gonna pretend the 1 doesn't exist! :newwink:

Anyways, there is an interesting theory that I subscribe to that states that while we all have a core type that defines them, the way we live our life, deal with stress, and adapt to our environment relies heavily on sub-typing. The tritype theory states that each individual has a body, mind, and heart typing. In my case, my core is purely a 9w1. I live my life as a "Peacekeeper," but when my mind is involved and wen problems arise, it can be attributed to my second type: the "investigator" (5w6). On the rare chance that I must actually use my emotions, I would use my emotions -and it is rare -I revert to my 3w2 "charmer" side. I have rarely shown much of the last, but it is clearly a part of me.

As for you, I think it would be fair to guess you are also a 9w1 "Investigator." Seeing as both were in your top three, I would guess it was your core trait. As for your secondary, a 4w5 fit's nicely. If you need to think long and hard, that would be the way to do it.

As for your heart try finding out if your tritype works here: http://enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html

The site is a little wonky, so I can't guarantee that it will get your order right, but It should atleast give you your three types withh some degree of accuracy. It did for me!

Actually, it looks like you already have a bit of information on tritypes, but to answer your question, I think your variant would stay the same.

Thanks! I tried that website, interestingly enough haha.

Your trifix is 5w4, 9w8, 3w2.

In enneagram theory, you have one type for how you relate to the world (either 8, 9, or 1), one type for how you think (5, 6, 7) and one type for how you see yourself (2, 3, 4.) Your tri-fix contains one number from each of these triads. They are listed in the order of how strongly they present in your personality.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 5 with a 4 wing: Type Five individuals are cerebral, intelligent, and complex. Type Five is often called the Investigator type, because they are constantly trying to learn more about the world. To a Five, knowledge is power, and knowing more about the world around them makes the world a safer place. It’s common for a Five to withdraw into their own thoughts and ruminate on intricate ideas and concepts. Type Fives, when they are in a growth state, become self-confident and authoritative like a Type Eight. When they are stressed, Type Fives become scattered like an unhealthy Type Seven. You are a Type Five with a Four wing, which means that the cerebral nature of Type Five combines with the creative nature of a Type Four. For this reason, you are likely to challenge established ideas with new and fresh concepts.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 9 with a 8 wing: Nines are receptive, easygoing, and loveable. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, they have a special ability to get along with others. For this reason, they’re often skilled mediators, resolving conflicts both within themselves and among others. Nines value peace, especially inner peace, very highly. When in a state of growth, Nines become energetic and driven like Type Threes. When stressed, Nines become anxious like an unhealthy Type Six. You are a Type Nine with an Eight wing, which means that the harmonious traits of the Nine merge with the aggressive traits of the Eight. Inner peace is your goal, but if something is challenging that peace, your Eight wing means that you’ll stand up and deal with the situation assertively and decisively.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 3 with a 2 wing: Type Three individuals are self-assured, confident, and driven for success. Type Threes have a great deal of energy that propels them to excel at their chosen field, and this is why the type is often called The Achiever. Although Threes may not always like it, they’re often looked up to. Type Threes, more than any other type, are the most likely to be a workaholic. When in a state of growth, Threes become more cooperative and trusting of others, like a Type Six. When stressed, Threes become withdrawn like a Type Nine. You are a Type Three with a Two wing, which means that your driven nature combines with a desire to help people. You often come off as charming and outgoing as a result.

Some words that describe you: relaxed, peaceful, harmonious, ambitious, driven, adaptable, energetic, intelligent, cerebral, questioning.

o_O Hmm. Interesting.

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks! I tried that website, interestingly enough haha.

Your trifix is 5w4, 9w8, 3w2.
Sounds good, but be careful of that quiz. It's not terribly professional and generally types me as a 7w6/9w8/4w5. I'm not that.

Take it with a grain of salt is all ;)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds good, but be careful of that quiz. It's not terribly professional and generally types me as a 7w6/9w8/4w5. I'm not that.

Take it with a grain of salt is all ;)

Got it. :D