• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Claudio Naranjo

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I was doing a lot of digging into the MBTI and Enneagram sections of youtube this weekend, and ran across a plethora of amazing information. One piece, which I was more struck by than any other, was this interview with Claudio Naranjo (often referred to as the "Mother" of the Enneagram of Personality). I found this interview extremely illuminating, as he tells all kinds of stories about his life, his time at the Arica Institute in Chile with Oscar Ichazo (the "Father" of the Enneagram of Personality), G.I. Gurdjieff (the teacher of the Ancient Enneagram [not of personality, but the symbol and its meaning itself]), Esalen, Fritz Perls, SAT (his group, "Seekers After Truth", which he started in Berkeley in the 70s, and from which sprang forth most of the Enneagram teachers we know today), et al.

I've been considering starting this thread for a while, and I figure it can serve as a place to share information anybody comes across about Naranjo, whether video, audio, written, or anything else they might deem applicable.

foxonstilts

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
3w8
Aside from the outdated Freudianism, Naranjo is awesome. He's my favorite person that does enneagram at all ever. So good without any of the fluffy stereotypes or good parts that other authors have.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been considering starting this thread for a while, and I figure it can serve as a place to share information anybody comes across about Naranjo, whether video, audio, written, or anything else they might deem applicable.
You should read his Character and Neurosis if you find him informative, and watch his presentations on enneagram types.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Subscribed! I hear about Naranjo all the time and have trouble finding good resources when I search for them.

:nerd: I'm ready to learn!

gromit

likes this
If I remember maybe I will watch this after my neuro exam. Waaay too long for procrastinating though :p

B

brainheart

I like Naranjo, I think he's a good foundation, kind of like how Jung is for cognitive functions. That said, though, I don't think he's the be-all-end-all. As [MENTION=14191]foxonstilts[/MENTION] says, he's got this outdated Freud fixation, and his whole premise is about extreme neuroticism, so it's not going to apply to a lot of people unless they are really unhealthy. He is a total gestalt guy, big on metaphors, which I like as an INFP, but I think people often take him too literally which is too bad.

Not only that, it's like people see him as the pure distilled essence of enneagram that you shouldn't fuck with, and all of the later enneagram theorists strayed and messed it up blah blah and it gets you thinking that people consider him Jesus and that everything after is Christianity messing up the real message. I mean, what's the point of a theory if you can't move forward with it, expand it, put out some new ideas? Some of those ideas are going to be stupid and wrong, but some will be pretty insightful and valid.

Also, I think it's interesting that people would say he doesn't do annoying stereotypes. I think he is huge on the stereotypes, likely more than anyone else. Example: You can tell the difference between threes and fours because four is like the ballet dancer and three is like the fake lady with perfect makeup. He says and writes things like this all the time. But as I said before, people often take this too literally, when he's probably expecting people to read between the lines.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] - I have a similar estimation of him. I agree that he speaks in pure metaphor at times, and I think that can be the source of his "stereotypes". Like Jung, there's something kind of incomplete about his theory, and it has benefitted from being "built on".
Some of his type descriptions are better than others (his e9 type has always struck me as missing something, much as Jung's Fe description reads), but they have this "purity" to them where the fundamental concept of an ego fix becomes very clear. Like Jung's types, they're kind of extreme, but need to be to make the point. Other author's descriptions can sound more like "real people" but they skim the surface too much, so even as Naranjo is "narrow", he shows more deep insights.

Helen Palmer is really insightful too though, IMO. It's like:
Naranjo is to Jung what
Sandra Maitri is to Isabel Myers what
Don Riso is to David Keirsey

Thanks for the video [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION].
What do you guys think his MBTI/Jungian type is? I think he self-types as a 5 in enneagram, but that might be up for debate still.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Thanks for the video [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION].

:cheers:

What do you guys think his MBTI/Jungian type is? I think he self-types as a 5 in enneagram, but that might be up for debate still.

I don't really have a read on him MBTI-wise...

I think he probably is a 5, and so INTP has been in my mind, but, I dunno...

He very well could be NF...

I'll have to watch more.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Subscribed as well. That guy is awesome.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Interesting interview.

Not as good as the one in the OP -- the interviewer here is kind of obnoxious (he wants to interject too much) -- but you see Naranjo when he's a good deal younger than in the previous one, and you get to see him chime in on a number of interesting subjects (psychotherapy, the therapist, the guru, democratization of psychotherapy, psychoanalytic roots of psychotherapy, etc):

What I really like about these videos is that they provide a substance around the enneagram.

In the videos I'll be posting next (from sulfit's link), Naranjo mentions that he does not teach and does not want the enneagram to be a system of information, in and of itself, but for it to be part of a larger picture, a tool for us to come to understand ourselves, but not the end-all, be-all. With every one of these videos, you get that sense, and it's rather pleasant.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Have not listened to the full thing here, but seems like it could be very interesting.

He's very young (35) here:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Older here, at a conference with ~400 people.

He goes thru all 27 subtypes before all 400 people break into groups for which type they are:

These are from [MENTION=10791]sulfit[/MENTION]'s link.

There are five videos in total; you should be able to access the next four at the end of this one.